Archived Fired for "theft"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it really hard to believe that a company like target that is known for being cheap and having sub-par technology would invest in covert cameras.

Target has some of the best AP in retail. There’s literally a whole forensics lab in Minneapolis dedicated to solving organized retail crime in Target stores.

If you were under investigation by AP you wouldn’t know. You wouldn’t have even been asked a question about knowing anything because that type of conversation would only be held behind closed doors IF they had a case and the “go ahead” to act on it.

You’re fine. More than likely there is a peer of yours in the building under investigation and wanting to see if anyone else in the same work center has noticed. It’s a low key way of trying to get someone to rat.

Buuuuut if you do rat you’ll get a gift card lmao

I noticed a camera by where I work yesterday after AP asked if I knew where something was. I have never stolen before, my question is, can AP fire me for suspecting me of theft?

Nah we only term TMs when we're %100 sure you've done it. So if you're not doing anything, don't worry about it.

It is very doubtful they installed a camera just for you.

This. It could be a dummy camera, it could be strategically placed to view a certain area of merchandise (based on theft trends)... there are any number of reasons that it's there.

They usually will also move cameras when POGs have large transitions if high dollar items get moved around. Some cameras are real some are dummies, and sometimes they upgrade or move real cameras to the dummy locations.

They aren't doing that specifically for you, in all likelihood it's one of the things above or else they have noticed an issue based on reporting that they need to investigate.

Yep. We move cameras a LOT. A LOT A LOT. Like on any given week, we're moving at LEAST one camera, or maybe adjusting a pre-existing shot.

At the beginning of the year (and sometimes after inventory), there's usually a HUGE project of moving cams to address bounceback strategies and/or yearly shortage trends.

I find it really hard to believe that a company like target that is known for being cheap and having sub-par technology would invest in covert cameras.

Can't say for certain, but from experience I'm pretty sure every store has at least one covert camera. Many have more.

I reach my hand in my pocket about 50 times a shift to change my playlist (before store opens or when workin backroom) or just straight up check something on the target app and I honestly was only worried when I was new. Once I learned how AP works it kinda feels fine to do weird shit that looks odd but as long as you know you aren't doing anything shady you can just do it care free and if someone talks to you about it...well you really didn't do anything wrong. Hell..I put product in my pockets sometimes when I can't carry enough...it never disappears and always ends up on the shelf or in some cases putting defective things in my hoodies big ass mid pocket when I wear it has saved target countless minutes if not a few hours of walking time from me. And I have never pocketed anything and not brought it back. Be legit and you should have no worries.

Edit: I don't suggest putting product in your pockets. I just know AP enough to know they aren't gonna worry about me stealing menial merchandise that literally is more of a hassle for me to carry than to steal. I honestly can't believe there are TMs that steal because not one at my store I have ever seen be shady besides a couple of weird TMs using spray deodorant, testing perfume, or using lotion straight off the shelves while they are stocking or zoning. I mean in a pinch I have ran through the deodorant aisle and sprayed my shirt with a bit of spray deodorant but doing it regularly is so trashy. But who said some TMs are above guests? Some of them are basically guests who work for Target and don't give two fucks. Seriously though- good TMs are so much more respectable than guests and if you think otherwise...lmao...I get cut off so often when I'm pushing a flat that I worry about how they actually drive. I love 'em for supplying my paycheck but I hate 'em for how they do it.

Last edited:
Based on visible cameras alone, our store parking lot has very limited coverage. Is this common? I'd actually feel better if I knew there would be footage should anything happen late at night. (Not that it's likely, but you know, it crosses your mind sometimes.)

I reach my hand in my pocket about 50 times a shift <snip>

Me too. My lips are always dry and on the edge of chapped, so reaching in my pocket for chapstick is non-stop. It's better for no size to be on a hanger than the wrong size, so whenever I pluck a size off, it goes right into that same pocket. If I've written down something, paper torn from some piece of scrap paper and maybe even a pen if I know I'll have to write something down somewhere else end up in my pockets.

When I worked for Mcdonalds the pants they issued just had one small back pocket.

Ha.

Target has some of the best AP in retail. There’s literally a whole forensics lab in Minneapolis dedicated to solving organized retail crime in Target stores.

Instead of wasting money on things like this target needs to spend money on fixing and replacing broken equipment and correctly staffing stores.
its pretty dumb to be wasting money on convert cameras when you under-staff stores and wont pay to fix/replace equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back