Archived Fired for working off the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, after reading this I'm going to be more serious about taking my 15 minute breaks. I'm in California, so I'm pretty sure it's bad that I skip the 2nd one more often than not (and once even skipped the first one).

Wait, if a SrTL is LOD and there's nobody else to cover, is the store supposed to be without an LOD for 30 minutes? How is that practical?

It's rare that I'm ever able to take a 15 while working the evening shift. Nobody seems able to cover or nobody wants to. I just work through it. With a 9 day's and no days off coming up, I may be rethinking that.

It's rare that I'm ever able to take a 15 while working the evening shift. Nobody seems able to cover or nobody wants to. I just work through it. With a 9 day's and no days off coming up, I may be rethinking that.

Why don't you ask the LOD? It's their job to find someone to cover it.

You'll be in a better mood and have the juice to finish your shift better with an additional break

Last edited:
"LOD, this is AJH in Electronics. Is there somebody who can cover my break?"

LOD will find someone. You're entitled to your break so you might as well take it.
TAKE YOUR BREAKS. I tell everyone I work with ALL the time, be it a bathroom break, a quick "smoke", update your social media page, call your significant other, watch tv in the Breakroom, check out THIS BREAKROOM site, Whatever!! It's YOUR time!! Best believe when your time with SPOT is up, whether it be voluntarily quitting or getting fired, you will not get that lost time back. And Spot the dog will keep on Woofing!! Just saying :D:p

I used to be more "meh" on taking my breaks (and some people would treat skipping breaks like it was a sign of being a harder worker or something) until I realized, that is PAID free time. If I choose to willingly give it up, it's like giving Spot free labor. 15m here, 15m there; that adds up to hours and hours and hours of free labor when you were entitled to be resting. After I looked at it that way, I take my breaks. I'll move them around if it helps my work flow better, but I still take them.

I used to be more "meh" on taking my breaks (and some people would treat skipping breaks like it was a sign of being a harder worker or something) until I realized, that is PAID free time. If I choose to willingly give it up, it's like giving Spot free labor. 15m here, 15m there; that adds up to hours and hours and hours of free labor when you were entitled to be resting. After I looked at it that way, I take my breaks. I'll move them around if it helps my work flow better, but I still take them.

Always found it ironic when the ones who skip their break complain about being overworked.

I’m still somewhat meh on taking my break. I work for SFS mostly and if I don’t feel tired I’ll keep working and not take a break. It’s not that I think I’m a hard worker but I wanna get my workload done so that I can take my time with batches later. Walking around the store (non-4th quarter), picking for items is somewhat relaxing. If I’m at the pack station, I honestly won’t take my break because working the pack station isn’t tiring me out.
If I’m working backroom, I know I’m gonna get tired so I’ll take my break eventually.

WTF? I've been "caught" a few times helping guests on my lunch break (what am I supposed to do, say "go away I'm not working right now"?) and HR just said "Hi CTT777, can you fill this out for me please?" and handed me a punch correction form.

yikes

WTF? I've been "caught" a few times helping guests on my lunch break (what am I supposed to do, say "go away I'm not working right now"?)

Just tell the guest that you are off-duty and refer them to another TM nearby you who is not on break. If you don't see any TMs nearby, refer them to the nearest area that has a stationary TM (i.e. guest services, fitting room, or electronics).

I find that saying "off-duty" to my store's guests seems to work more often than saying "on my break." Half of the guests still find it okay to try to insist on me personally helping them if I say "break." If I say "off-duty," they are usually chill about getting helped by someone else.

Last edited:
Curious what the policy is on skipping 15's is? And if it's considered working off the clock if you skip them.

Also related:
I was recently talked to for logging into Workbench before clocking in (usually to print reports knowing how busy the printer is first thing in the morning). I understand not working for injury/insurance reasons... but I don't really see how logging into a computer can be that dangerous (we're talking 5 minutes btw, I don't get to work THAT early).

Update: I ended receiving a final notice for this. It was reported to corporate by the irritated TL and at that point became unchallengeable. So now I have this on my head.

I swear, more than likely most infraction against me are by TLs either having a shitty day and take it out on me or are on some power kick. Makes me wonder how many TLs would be on CCA if their TMs could write them up when ever they're feeling stressed out. <eyeroll>

Update: I ended receiving a final notice for this. It was reported to corporate by the irritated TL and at that point became unchallengeable. So now I have this on my head.

I swear, more than likely most infraction against me are by TLs either having a shitty day and take it out on me or are on some power kick. Makes me wonder how many TLs would be on CCA if their TMs could write them up when ever they're feeling stressed out. <eyeroll>
I feel you. My cca was my stl having a power trip and taking things personally instead of searching for the truth behind the comment.

Working off the clock and through breaks just makes corporate think more work is getting done in an 8 hr shift. Don’t do it. Ever. You don’t owe Target anything. If it is ever job related, don’t do it unless clicked in or do a punch correction.

Can't say this enough.

You working through your breaks does no one a favor. If the work load us unrealistic it needs to be known.

Target uses an efficiency reporting system and sometimes hr is allocated more or less hours at my store. I wonder if tms skipping breaks or lunches has a lot to do with it.

Arguably the worst thing you could get a final warning for.

To me there's a little bit of grey area when it comes to helping guests find items off the clock... If I'm shopping in another store (grocery, hardware, whatever) and I overhear someone getting frustrated because they can't find an item, and I happen to know where it is, of course I'm going to let them know! To me it feels like the natural way to behave. Staying silent feels like a shitty thing to do. And if I help a stranger (and lets be honest, pointing someone in the right direction is usually just a two second interaction) then I get to feel like I've earned a smidgen of karma and I feel better about my day. It seems bizarre to me to change my usual behavior when I'm off the clock at Target, just to avoid the threat of being seen by a rule-stickler ready to pounce.

The last thing I ever worry about @ Spot is getting in trouble for working off the clock.

I have other shit to deal with!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back