Archived Fired for working off the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Now please bare with me as I first want to begin by saying I know that it is wrong to do especially being a TL. I do think in certain situations and circumstances, the end justifies the means. I just got word one of my old colleagues from my old store got fired today for working off the clock. When I say, "she busts her ass", I think that would be saying a huge understatement. She was first a TL over the offsite process.. Assisting in getting our metrics green for Location Accuracy. Came over and took over the pricing team. Helped them and now is out of a job. I'm for one, if you got caught stealing, fighting etc., out you go, but this is just not right. Please share your views, opinions everyone. I really need to hear different views on this matter...

What was it that she was doing that got her fired? Something small or repeated infractions?

We had a TM & a TL put on final for working off the clock.
The TM for grabbing equipment & keys before clocking in; the TL for reading emails & doing paperwork off-clock.
My store don't play.

Wow...that's why I ssoooo enjoy the break room. I knew I wasn't the only store this happened to. So apparently this is a "culture" that goes on in A lot of stores!! If leadership wanted to they can "set you up" and get you fired for such a thing. Thank you Hardlinesmaster for posting that link of the other tm.. Sssoooo messed up!! Just wished I could have been introduced to this site years ago when I started out with Spot.. Could have possibly saved my old colleague and very good friend!!

Some TLs at my store do that all the time. The DTL found out about it and cracked down, but it still happens (I'm talking at least a few hours per week).

Depending on what they were doing and how long they were doing it for, firing them could definitely be justified from any businesses perspective. Working off the clock is a lawsuit or massive fine waiting to happen.

So sorry to hear about your colleague. Like you said, getting fired for stealing and starting fights is justified, but to take a dedicated and productive worker and fire them for something so small, that draws the line. I would always help guests find items when I was shopping on my lunch. I even had guests ask if I was on lunch, and after I said yes, they'd ask me where something was anyway. Sometimes you can't help what guests do, and its easier to just give them an answer than hunt down a clocked-in TM. Thankfully that never was something my store zoned in on. I was fired for entirely illegal reasons, still dealing with the company through legal channels.

Damn, yeah thats bullshit. Our TLs dont take their lunches when theyre supposed to if they dont have the time. They will clock out to avoid compliance, work through off the clock and take their 30 min later once the calm arrives. Why would somebody be fired for working off the clock unauthorized? It is an insurance liability. If said employee were to be injured or be cause of a guest or TM injury, it would not hold up in court if target were to be sued. The likelihood of a TM being fired for working off the clock is "unlikely" upper mgmt probably has it out for that TM. Honestly, unless its been a recurring offense. I do not think thats the right move but sometimes we gotta play it by the book.

Depending on what happened, your friend could fight spot, if they have all events documented well. But, based on your posting. I would say apply at lowes, they would take your friend in a heartbeat. They would get more pay & move up faster.

Wow...that's why I ssoooo enjoy the break room. I knew I wasn't the only store this happened to. So apparently this is a "culture" that goes on in A lot of stores!! If leadership wanted to they can "set you up" and get you fired for such a thing. Thank you Hardlinesmaster for posting that link of the other tm.. Sssoooo messed up!! Just wished I could have been introduced to this site years ago when I started out with Spot.. Could have possibly saved my old colleague and very good friend!!

We are here to teach, rant, learn, & support each other as a team.

Depending on what they were doing and how long they were doing it for, firing them could definitely be justified from any businesses perspective. Working off the clock is a lawsuit or massive fine waiting to happen.

Correct. Target has a fairly generous punch correction policy. When my etl hr text me she tells me to do a punch correction

I've said this several times as keys are thrust in my face as I walk in the door. 1. Nit in the cock 2. Check your dumb ass, we just waited ten minutes in the cold don't rush now...stl backed me up, lol.

Update: So I just got word that my former coworker actually was dishonest. Apparently, she was adjusting the pricing signs in order for herself and those who knew to purchase items very cheap. You think you know someone, smh :(

Update: So I just got word that my former coworker actually was dishonest. Apparently, she was adjusting the pricing signs in order for herself and those who knew to purchase items very cheap. You think you know someone, smh :(
Damn... sad.

There was this kid.. in hardline was 17, turned 18 and supposedly kept begging the Electronics TL to let him into electronics. Finally got it, but then was fired a week later for stealing. Just read your thread, i was thinking like damn that's ridiculous. Sorry :(

We have a TM that works on their 15/30 and tells people they are on brake but will bug people not on break and talk to Guests.

I hope what I've shared on here reaches and teaches others Hardlinesmaster. Glad we have this site for that ;)

Curious what the policy is on skipping 15's is? And if it's considered working off the clock if you skip them.

Also related:
I was recently talked to for logging into Workbench before clocking in (usually to print reports knowing how busy the printer is first thing in the morning). I understand not working for injury/insurance reasons... but I don't really see how logging into a computer can be that dangerous (we're talking 5 minutes btw, I don't get to work THAT early).

What's the policy working through your break?

"They" love it! Especially if it's your 2nd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back