Archived First Cashier Shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trained at the beginning of December how to use the register in case they needed back-up (I'm normally softlines) They asked if I felt comfortable at the register and I said "yes" thinking they meant being at the register for fifteen minutes at a time for back-up. I had no idea I'd ever get a cashier shift. I've been with Target for three months and came in at seasonal time, so I understand that it was busy and they were probably trying to train people quickly. I felt kinda overlooked and on my own while training on register, but I understand why things were hectic.
Today is my first cashier shift and I'm scared the GSTLs will get mad at me for not knowing as much as the other more experienced cashiers. I know how to do RedCards and bag and accepting debit and cash is easy, but I don't know what to open the drawer if I need to (is there a button?) or how to put up the belt between the register and the other counter, when the difference in a price is high enough that I need to call a GSTL to approve a price change, or if I'm supposed to have a guest sign a receipt if they use a credit card--if they are, nobody's ever told me. Also if it's better to use the light when you get alcohol or need a price change or to use the button on the register. I can survive 15 minutes at the register for back-up (last time i was shaking pretty uncontrollably, but I lived) but I'm really nervous about standing there for 5.5 hours. I just don't want the team leads on the front end to think I'm stupid or the guests to get annoyed with me. I was thinking about giving the shift away, but I realize this is a fear I need to get over. Does anyone have any tips for a first time cashier shift?

Cashier here. First of all, relax. As for some of your questions, if you need to open up your drawer, you would hit K5 then K1 (open drawer). I'm not sure if we use the same system or not, but they should be similar at least. To get change, just hit K2 and hit whichever button corresponds with the money you need. You'll get $25 worth of ones. $25 worth of fives. $50 worth of tens. $100 worth of twenties. For coins, you get two rolls of the desired coins you need. When it comes to getting the GSA/GSTL always use your light. For my store, the "get GSA assistance" button in the help options takes too long. The only time a guest will have to sign the receipt is if they didn't sign on the card swiper. After they sign and hand you back the section of the receipt with their signature, open up the drawer, lift up the case that holds all the money inside, and put in the slip. It has to go underneath. As for fixing a price, as long as it sounds reasonable, go ahead and change it. If it's a lamp that is $34.99 and the guest says it is half off, then go ahead and call your GSA over. If they say it is $29.99, then go ahead and change it to that. You'll hit K2 for price change, type in the desired amount and hit K2 for "guest price challenge" or if the item is damaged, hit K4 for "damage". If you want to make it a certain percentage off, you'll go to the price change screen and hit the down arrow key once to bring up the percentage option. From there you type in what percentage you want off of the current price. Then hit K2 or K4 depending on the situation. Lastly, just make small talk with the guests.Obviously ask how their day is going and if they found everything alright. Don't worry, you'll be okay.

GSA here. In general I would prefer that my cashiers combine the button & flasher if they have an issue unless I'm standing right there. We're often understaffed and I can't always get over immediately, so being able to check my PDA while handling something else to see if it's something that can wait or needs to be handled right now is helpful. As far as alcohol goes, I take it you're under your state's age to serve alcohol? If that's the case just use your flasher, when you scan alcohol it'll give you a prompt that pings the GSA's PDA for a sup override just by hitting K1.

Also as far as credit slips if your card reader takes a dump or someone forgets to sign, once they sign it your register may (will? at my store they do) have a slit across the front of the drawer that allows you to slip that inside without cracking your drawer open.

This is just advice for next time really or anyone else who sees it as I'm probably too late.

Also as far as credit slips if your card reader takes a dump or someone forgets to sign, once they sign it your register may (will? at my store they do) have a slit across the front of the drawer that allows you to slip that inside without cracking your drawer open.

We always put them in the red drawer under the register. But only the checklanes have the red drawer.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Hope everything went well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back