How goes fresh food OPU's? We are to start in 6/23, so planning & training are underway.
We started today. So far the biggest fustercluck is that we have coolers and a freezer, but we have no idea when or where they'll be installed up front. So right now we have three different hold locations in the back room and drive-up times are screwed. Clearly Brian Cornell was not a Boy Scout.

We started today. So far the biggest fustercluck is that we have coolers and a freezer, but we have no idea when or where they'll be installed up front. So right now we have three different hold locations in the back room and drive-up times are screwed. Clearly Brian Cornell was not a Boy Scout.
we started yesterday. System was messed up for a bit so we were shut down for an hour, then restarted. We had about 20 orders yesterday, all small batches, so it went well.

We're using deli freezer and cooler at the moment, not sure when / if dedicated coolers & freezers will be installed.

We'll see what today holds. My early folks texted me that we have about 5 orders so far.

For grocery pickup our store hasn’t been keeping up well with drive up times. At the moment we wait at the hold locations in the backroom until the guest is close (~5 minutes or less away) before we begin to bring the items up to the front but it is wrecking our metrics. Anyone figure out a better method to this?

For grocery pickup our store hasn’t been keeping up well with drive up times. At the moment we wait at the hold locations in the backroom until the guest is close (~5 minutes or less away) before we begin to bring the items up to the front but it is wrecking our metrics. Anyone figure out a better method to this?

Why wait? You have 30 minutes before you have to get the item back into temp, so you can bring it to the front normally most of the time. You cannot control how long the guest might later have the item in their car, stop at a couple of other places, get back home, put the crap away in the fridge/freezer. Food isn't going to go bad after 30 minutes. That's just the rule because you don't know what is going to happen to it after that. Get the stuff to the front and staged for when they arrive.

To be real though, if you're bring it up when the guest is 5 minutes away, what the hell is the problem with the metrics? If you're GSTMs can't walk from the backroom to the driveup locations in 5 minutes, you need to be scheduling who does driveups better.

How can I increase my packing productivity
Units per hr.
Yesterday my highest% was 126
And today 122
Any recommendation
I want to raise this % to 150

Yes we are using paper also I hate it

It's meh.. The hardest part is getting people to use enough of it. With this stuff you need to use a lot of it.

And we got the two rolls of bubble wrap today as well. My TL was confused since he knows he didn't order it. We will see what happens.

How can I increase my packing productivity
Units per hr.
Yesterday my highest% was 126
And today 122
Any recommendation
I want to raise this % to 150

if you have an order that'll take longer to pack, usually a large number of eaches or bulkier things, after you scan the label, go back to the main menu. it'll pause your pack rate until you scan back into the cart. its how most of my tms get over 300 consistently.

Does anyone have tips I can give my team as to how to improve their pick productivity that I might be missing? I took over this team not too long ago and we are consistently in the red for pick productivity, with some TMs at a pick speed as low as 12 units per hour (not acceptableWhat can I do to help them? When I pick a batch im usually at ~50 units per hour even with interruptions.

These are the suggestions I usually try to give:
- Take the least amount of time possible on hardlines items so that you’ll have more time to look for style/harder to find items
- Walk through cutthroughs in the store to avoid taking unnecessary steps
- view the tasks on the bottom in case the pathing is funky so that you’ll know where you are going, skip tasks if necessary
- save “problem items” for last in case you have to partner with a style team member or use the RFID gun in the reshop or dig through the unpushed truck

another problem that we are encountering is that we are behind on truck, we’re behind on style push, we have a TON of reshop (both hardlines and style) that needs to be worked, and there are things flexed out everywhere that isn’t store tied, so I’m not sure I’m being set up for success but I would love to hear some tips on how to make this better

12 UPH is either the result of having no idea what they're doing or not even trying. Are you sure they aren't stopping and chatting with every other TM they encounter?

You're advice seems generally solid, but if you have TMs who aren't putting any effort in there's not much you can do except get rid of them.

Does anyone have tips I can give my team as to how to improve their pick productivity that I might be missing? I took over this team not too long ago and we are consistently in the red for pick productivity, with some TMs at a pick speed as low as 12 units per hour (not acceptableWhat can I do to help them? When I pick a batch im usually at ~50 units per hour even with interruptions.

- Take the least amount of time possible on hardlines items so that you’ll have more time to look for style/harder to find items
- view the tasks on the bottom in case the pathing is funky so that you’ll know where you are going, skip tasks if necessary
- save “problem items” for last in case you have to partner with a style team member or use the RFID gun in the reshop or dig through the unpushed truck

another problem that we are encountering is that we are behind on truck, we’re behind on style push, we have a TON of reshop (both hardlines and style) that needs to be worked, and there are things flexed out everywhere that isn’t store tied, so I’m not sure I’m being set up for success but I would love to hear some tips on how to make this better

Thinking a little more, I would also suggest making sure that your TMs aren't getting bogged down in fixing other areas' issues. For example, if items in stationary are not on the right pegs, is your team fixing that while they're in their batches? Are they stopping to audit a rough section that they encounter? Are they correcting difficult to fix backroom issues? While, it might be somewhat controversial with GM, this is an area to put your foot down. Not your team's job. Fix small, quick issues and move on. But, don't get bogged down. Alert the DBO to large issues or if it's a systemic issue speak to the TL over the area.

You might also want to make sure that your team has access to what they need. It's often the case for me that new TMs, especially transfers, think that fulfillment should wait to access a backroom aisle or use the power equipment until they are done pulling/backstocking/whatever. That's a no no at my store. Fulfillment takes priority or our productivity will drop and OPU goal times won't be met.

The best solution is to spend time with your slowest TMs picking and see what exactly is going on. Then you will know exactly what needs to be fixed.

Do they know how to look up their stats on MPM?

What I do for my team is I write up pick goals for units bases on Target's standards multiplied by how long they are working minus breaks and lunches. The newbies are given units bases on 35 uph, and my vets are given higher. Granted, it's based off just picking, but the sheet has their goal and then they fill in picked units, packed units, and INF for SFS, and I have units picked and INF for opu as well since my team swaps in and out. So as long as they meet their goal with combined numbers they are good. It's helped the newbies to have clear expectations and they ask a lot of questions to better their scores. The vets get competitive with each other, which is good motivation.

I also send out a weekly recap to my building breaking down what we did in SFS and OPU. I get the data off Greenfield and show forecast vs actual, productivity, INF, what departments are red, and I list my top and bottom performers broken down by INF, UPH for pick and pack, most units for pick and pack, most units for opu, etc... I even track our sales for the week, month, and year as well as the % is store sales we account for. I also print it out and post it for the team each week. The ones that care take this to heart and always want to be on top. 3 of my TMs picked over half our opu units last week by themselves because they each wanted over 1000 units. The ones that don't care and don't try are weeded out. Showing my team hard data has helped a lot.

We are starting to buddy up with the slower newbies to see what they are doing in order to help. One thing that makes me nuts is the dependency on RFID. That's a last resort, I want them to learn brands and the softlines floor plan. If they just use the gun vs their eyes at first, they won't learn.

3 of my TMs picked over half our opu units last week by themselves because they each wanted over 1000 units.

No offense, but over a 1,000 OPU units in a week? That's ummm.....not a lot. I'm sitting over a 1,000 right now for this week and I have 2 full shifts to go. My store gets a crazy amount of OPUs.

One thing that makes me nuts is the dependency on RFID. That's a last resort, I want them to learn brands and the softlines floor plan. If they just use the gun vs their eyes at first, they won't learn.

Nah. RIFD is a tool. An extremely important tool. Using both it and your eyes is how you learn to pick with efficiency. They both need to be used simultaneously. This is especially important right now when style is having problems with inventory and product is getting moved around a lot to make the salesfloor look better, i.e., removing bare fixtures. You can pry my gun out of my cold dead hands. I turn it on even for things that I know exactly where they are supposed to be on the floor. I get real irritated when I see fulfillment TMs wandering around looking for something or asking style for help when they don't have the gun out. Use the tools you have available to you.

Back