Samples to help promote Adult Beverage Pickup. Put them in as many orders as possible so new guests can discover Adult Beverage Pickup
Which...is very weird to me and makes me vaguely uncomfortable. I don't like promoting alcohol in opu for a few reasons:
We don't know if the opu is for someone over 21. We don't know if the opu is for someone with small kids. And we don't know if the opu is for a recovering alcoholic, etcetc.

The wine baggies arent so bad, just...weird, because who'd use them?
But the liquor pamphlets we were supposed to put in opus definitely made me go "eh, no...".

But maybe I'm just being weird lol.

Once in a while, I jump into OPUs. Usually, I just copy and paste my shp code, but last time I did a batch and ETL scolded me for not having a scannable label. I made one yesterday. Why did it spit out two labels?

Which...is very weird to me and makes me vaguely uncomfortable. I don't like promoting alcohol in opu for a few reasons:
We don't know if the opu is for someone over 21. We don't know if the opu is for someone with small kids. And we don't know if the opu is for a recovering alcoholic, etcetc.
How is it any different than someone buying alcohol in the store? Grocery stores and liquor stores offer alcohol for pickup, driveup, and delivery. You card the person picking up the order, just like you card the person in the checklane. What they do with it after purchase is not on you, unless you know they're giving it to someone underage, or that they're visibly intoxicated. If they're an alcoholic that has nothing to do with you. And what does it matter if they have small kids? All honest questions, I'm not trying to be snarky.

Once in a while, I jump into OPUs. Usually, I just copy and paste my shp code, but last time I did a batch and ETL scolded me for not having a scannable label. I made one yesterday. Why did it spit out two labels?
One is a cart (parent), one is a subcart (child). You don't need a cart, the subcart works as both.

That won't last long. All it will take is some alcoholic's family suing you after getting given a sample and relapsing.
Is your store giving out alcohol samples? Ours isn't, just paperwork that people will throw away and the cheap wine bag. And I'm pretty sure a family would have no grounds to sue unless you held a gun to the the alcoholic's head, forced them to drink it, and then forced them to continue drinking. Maybe not even then. Stores have given out samples for years, at least where I live.

How is it any different than someone buying alcohol in the store?
Well usually you can just...not go in the alcohol aisle of the store. As it isn't essential to one's normal shopping trip. So people that avoid it for reasons of their own can just not see it.

You card the person picking up the order, just like you card the person in the checklane. What they do with it after purchase is not on you
???
No one here was saying they were uncomfortable with alcohol being orderable for opu (edit: at least, that wasn't my emphasis). Just the advertisement for it being put indescriminately in bags.

Like, stuffing a "ooo look how cool liquor is" pamphlet into a bag for a teenager or a family with young kids just makes me go "ehhhh". I'm not, like, morally opposed to drinking haha. Just don't see the purpose of heavily advertising alcohol to random strangers.

And most people will just throw it away, sure. I can still not like the practice.

Last edited:
Well usually you can just...not go in the alcohol aisle of the store. As it isn't essential to one's normal shopping trip. So people that avoid it for reasons of their own can just not see it.

???
No one here was saying they were uncomfortable with alcohol being orderable for opu (edit: at least, that wasn't my emphasis). Just the advertisement for it being put indescriminately in bags.
Okay, I get what you're saying. I guess I just don't see it as any different from the tons of alcohol ads on TV, radio, newspapers, online, etc. TBH I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people don't even look at the stuff stores throw in the bags, other than to take out the free samples. I know I don't.😆

Okay, I get what you're saying. I guess I just don't see it as any different from the tons of alcohol ads on TV, radio, newspapers, online, etc. TBH I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people don't even look at the stuff stores throw in the bags, other than to take out the free samples. I know I don't.😆
Let's say you are a former addict. You do everything possible to avoid coming into contact with the thing you were addicted to--you don't stay sober by being around the thing you are trying to avoid. A commercial for wine or beer is different than having it be in front of or around you. And maybe you are fine walking past the beer aisle, you are able to make the conscious choice not to go down it. But having a random sample in your bag is different.

"It's just one sample" is tempting. It's just one little sample. Surely that's okay, right? But some people know they aren't able to stop at just one. One is too many. Twenty is not enough.

It's a matter of willpower. Some people know they are too weak to resist the opportunity so they do everything possible to not have the opportunity.

I'm not against samples in general, I'm just providing an example of how this one could go wrong for some folks. Or possibly imagine someone's kid gets ahold of it, for something less extreme.

How have fellow FOTLs handled getting all the trainers and TLs re"trained" in ship? Do you go over the training guides real quick or walk them through a batch...? My HR and SD are super excited about Speed to Proficiency, but I still don't really understand what the proper way we're supposed to train these people plus the rest of the store (the specialty sales, GM, food teams) is.

Let's say you are a former addict. You do everything possible to avoid coming into contact with the thing you were addicted to--you don't stay sober by being around the thing you are trying to avoid. A commercial for wine or beer is different than having it be in front of or around you. And maybe you are fine walking past the beer aisle, you are able to make the conscious choice not to go down it. But having a random sample in your bag is different.

"It's just one sample" is tempting. It's just one little sample. Surely that's okay, right? But some people know they aren't able to stop at just one. One is too many. Twenty is not enough.

It's a matter of willpower. Some people know they are too weak to resist the opportunity so they do everything possible to not have the opportunity.

I'm not against samples in general, I'm just providing an example of how this one could go wrong for some folks. Or possibly imagine someone's kid gets ahold of it, for something less extreme.
It’s not a sample of alcohol lol.. it’s a bag and a pamphlet

How have fellow FOTLs handled getting all the trainers and TLs re"trained" in ship? Do you go over the training guides real quick or walk them through a batch...? My HR and SD are super excited about Speed to Proficiency, but I still don't really understand what the proper way we're supposed to train these people plus the rest of the store (the specialty sales, GM, food teams) is.
We are just reading through the guide. Emphasizing certain parts for certain people who are known not to follow the rules. We haven't been walking all the way through a batch with people though.

We're going to read thru the guide in groups of 1-3 and then observe the team 1@1 to see if there doing it all... That's if I don't get 2-4 C/Os and have to pack my entire shift.

Thanks, I know how addiction works. You know they're not giving out samples of actual alcohol in people's orders, right?

Infodump incoming. Anyone else have issues with TL's/ETL's for other departments not...getting it? Sometimes we're all occupied on OPU, and have to ask a TL or ETL to handle the FedEx pickup. Well, just got word from a driver I'm on good terms with that our store is hated by most of the drivers. They literally had an internal powerpoint presentation on all the issues with pickups at our store. All because whenever there's an issue on our end (late packages, packages not ready, ETLs mislead them about quantities) it ends with an TL/ETL asking to speak to their manager. Rather than just hiring some more people so we can focus on Ship before noon, they keep on having the whole store handle OPU all day, neglecting ship, then sending whoever's in charge to argue with FedEx about it. I try not to have a big ego about my crappy retail job, but the bosses just don't know how to act like adults, and I keep having to play peacemaker with FedEx so they don't drop our route.

Infodump incoming. Anyone else have issues with TL's/ETL's for other departments not...getting it? Sometimes we're all occupied on OPU, and have to ask a TL or ETL to handle the FedEx pickup. Well, just got word from a driver I'm on good terms with that our store is hated by most of the drivers. They literally had an internal powerpoint presentation on all the issues with pickups at our store. All because whenever there's an issue on our end (late packages, packages not ready, ETLs mislead them about quantities) it ends with an TL/ETL asking to speak to their manager. Rather than just hiring some more people so we can focus on Ship before noon, they keep on having the whole store handle OPU all day, neglecting ship, then sending whoever's in charge to argue with FedEx about it. I try not to have a big ego about my crappy retail job, but the bosses just don't know how to act like adults, and I keep having to play peacemaker with FedEx so they don't drop our route.

First stop playing peacemaker, this issue isn't getting fixed on the loading dock. Fed-Ex needs to go into malicious compliance mode for your store as do you. Your leadership are playing games and you nor the driver can fix it, it has to go up the chain to your district managers who can bring the hammer. Help them bring the hammer and if Fed-Ex dropping your store is the hammer - so be it. Always remind the driver to take the time to report issues at your store as soon as possible so when your idiot leads call Fed-Ex it's already documented from the driver.

We only do ups at my store but what is the issues. They come in you give them pallets or whatever they gotta do and the leave. If you guys are sorting your pallets correctly and all that then it should have am accurate count when you go in to ship the labels? Regardless it doesn't seem like it should be your problem to solve hopefully your leaders get there shit together.

We only do ups at my store but what is the issues. They come in you give them pallets or whatever they gotta do and the leave. If you guys are sorting your pallets correctly and all that then it should have am accurate count when you go in to ship the labels? Regardless it doesn't seem like it should be your problem to solve hopefully your leaders get there shit together.
yeah, basically just stuff being late, giving them boxes as fast as we pack them. rather than focus on staffing issues, help out, re-prioritize, so ship is done on time, they just have everyone do OPU all day, ship doesn't really get touched until mid-shift, then us closers come in, and have to clean up the mess. When FedEx objects to this, asks that our shipments be ready, and accurately counted, that's when the bosses start arguing, mainly about things that are objectively their fault.

yeah, basically just stuff being late, giving them boxes as fast as we pack them. rather than focus on staffing issues, help out, re-prioritize, so ship is done on time, they just have everyone do OPU all day, ship doesn't really get touched until mid-shift, then us closers come in, and have to clean up the mess. When FedEx objects to this, asks that our shipments be ready, and accurately counted, that's when the bosses start arguing, mainly about things that are objectively their fault.

Driver needs to just not argue take what is ready and document the crap out of it. Remind them of that, it's not worth the hassle let the bosses handle it. Leave anything that isn't immediately ready to load. Leave shit on the dock, document it.

Last edited:
Anyone know when everything supposed to change? Workbench file said the 21st but nothing has changed.

Back