Archived Flow Team & Box Cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what the stance will be on buying the same exact equipment to just own so you wont have to check it out.

This would explain why we don't have replacement blades for the old style knives.

I refuse to use them. I've been using the old thin ones for almost 20 years now in literally every job I have ever held including my current main job.

I don't like the look of those new green holstered blades. They just look cumbersome.

Regarding them being safer, I haven't found the current store supplied blades, or the similar ones I've purchased myself, to be particularly unsafe, either. The only thing I've ever cut myself on in the store is cardboard boxes.

This would explain why we don't have replacement blades for the old style knives.
I still have half a case of just blades. Nobody at my store uses them but me cause it's easier to just grab a new cutter.

Oh I have a stash in my little toolbox, so no worries. But when those go away, I will be pissed to have to use my own blades
I bought these beautiful cases of blades from home depot on clearance. $2 a box of fifty or a hundred. Hard plastic with a pusher and the back has a little slot for the used blades. I'll probably snag the case of replacements from the store to refill my box and keep it in my desk.

If Target cared about Safety that much we would have these.

637.gif

As well as a whole bunch of product not Damaged and thrown out from the careless/errant Box Cutter

We have a crapload of them in the backroom. We use a shoe organizer that you hang in a door to put the backroom clips. We also put box cutters and rubber bands in them too

We have a crapload of them in the backroom. We use a shoe organizer that you hang in a door to put the backroom clips. We also put box cutters and rubber bands in them too

Half of us use the Felt organizers in Home, the other half stick them to anything that is metal.

If Target cared about Safety that much we would have these.

637.gif

As well as a whole bunch of product not Damaged and thrown out from the careless/errant Box Cutter

If you half pay attention with a knife, your destroyed product is tiny. And I used the above style box cutter at another store, they suck. First the spear breaks off, then the blade goes dull and the letter opener part is just a tape grabber until it clogs up with tape. Nope give me a blade.

While you really need a blade to open a new box of product, many times a good, well-placed punch to an empty box works to fold it up for stuffing it for bailing. I used this technique at Sam's and it is still very satisfying at Target. Just a note, grasshoppers, this only works on medium to big boxes where the person taped with some degree of integrity. Otherwise, you have to do the rampage rip which is unseemly. Back to Kiai's!

While you really need a blade to open a new box of product, many times a good, well-placed punch to an empty box works to fold it up for stuffing it for bailing. I used this technique at Sam's and it is still very satisfying at Target. Just a note, grasshoppers, this only works on medium to big boxes where the person taped with some degree of integrity. Otherwise, you have to do the rampage rip which is unseemly. Back to Kiai's!

Unseemly perhaps but so satisfying at times especially if followed by the cardboard curb stomp.

Sorry to revive a 5 month old thread.:p I was curious if there were any posts regarding knives/whatever people use to open boxes threads.

I have been carrying my own knives to open/break down boxes or cut zip ties. Most of BR has their own knives as well (my SFS captain was BR and has a knife obsession and it rubbed off on me shh don't question it). No one has said anything about me using my own knife and I haven't damaged any product either. I don't just stab a box lol. I hate the jiffi cutters. They dulled super fast, and always opened in my pocket and would either make a hole in my pants or poke me. I have had to cut boxes down to fit in the bailer as well, the jiffi cutters suck for that.

@brizzy93

I also use my own cutters: Milwaukee Fastback, Klever Kutter, and Easy Cut 2000.
Milwaukee-FAstback-II-48-22-1902-98-1368086961.jpg
My main knife.
KLEVERKUT_HERO.JPG
Neat safety blade that doesn't damage product.
$_35.JPG
Holster for this is easily broken.

@Flowmotion I have started collecting knives lol.
This is my current everyday carry because it's beautiful. Kizer ki3302b2.
IMG_4508.JPG IMG_4509.JPG
I also have a Kershaw Kuro
Kershaw-Kuro-Tanto-1835TBLKST-600x500.jpg

Kershaw Shuffle in purple, Kershaw Blur in purple, Schrade SCH106ALC, and a few more lol.

We got the new ones in before or during the holidays last year. I saw them in the box in our ETL-LOG's office. However, no mention has ever been made of them and all TMs in my store are still using the Jiffy Cutters.

We've been using the new ones for a few months and I love it! It's great to have a proper holster and not have to worry about stabbing myself trying to grab it or ripping my pocket. I also like the tape splitter that allows you to open boxes without using the blade at all.

My only issue with them is how many TMs just leave them dangling loosely at their sides instead of actually using the holster. I can't understand how some people find it so difficult to use the holster that they would rather have it swinging around near their ankles all day.

Edit:
Also wanted to add that we are not signing them out and returning them every day like corporate suggested. Everyone was issued one box cutter, holster, and tether to keep and bring to work every day. If you lose one, it's a documented coaching.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back