Archived Flow Team Lead Promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to ask for a promotion to Flow Team Lead. What would you say would be the biggest case I could make that could put me in the most favorable position to show them that I am ready for this position?

I am the most highly sought worker in all areas, I have great work ethic, and am recognized for my hard work in all areas. What can I expect going forward?

I'm going to ask for a promotion to Flow Team Lead. What would you say would be the biggest case I could make that could put me in the most favorable position to show them that I am ready for this position?

I am the most highly sought worker in all areas, I have great work ethic, and am recognized for my hard work in all areas. What can I expect going forward?

Honestly, as an internal you don't need to tell them anything. You are not coming off the street. The ETLs know you, and they know whether or not they will promote you before you even ask. There is nothing you can say to them that will change this fact.

What you have actually *done* as a TM over the past 1-2 years will determine whether or not they think you are promotable. The past 1-2 years is your "case".... not what you will say to them in a 5 minute conversation.

All you can do is bring it up and hope that enough ETLs can picture you as a TL. Based on what you have said, it sounds like they probably will.

Ok take it from someone who has been on flow for 7 years and team lead of flow for the past 6 months, if you haven't already been promoted to TL of flow you should think about a different area. Trust me when I say this, they expect way to much from you and do nothing but criticize you if you don't get the job done. At my store I'm expected to do the defectives, push audit, the merchandise and recyclables sweep twice a week, the schedule for my team, baby sit 30 plus young kids who think I owe them something, make sure the 2600+ piece trucks 5 days a week get done and don't roll have coaching convos verbal and documented with team members and be in charge of the backroom when the the backroom TL is off. I know there's more that I'm forgetting, which brings me to my question since I'm new here is there a thread on here that talks about the core rolls of a flow TL. Thanks for letting me vent haven't been able to do that since I took on this fabulous roll at target!

Welcome to The Break Room Jrflow TL.
We're the place to vent and let off steam safely, anytime you need.
I know the role has been discussed in a couple of threads, let me take a look around.

As a flow tl, guide your team to success through training & pushing, etc. in the real world, know & help your team is key to be successful, at the tl flow job.

Sorry, looks like we've got a lot of threads with advice for logistics TL but nothing with the core roles.

Honestly like someone else mentioned they know you already, but definitely let them know you're interested in the position. Once they know you're interested in the position they can then evaluate what they think of your previous performance. But good luck with everything!

one key thing i think they look for is positivity. especially now that the hours are ZERO! That stands out at my store more than any other thing... and on the flip side the negativity does as well. if you can stay positive and be heard/seen being positive, you will be on the bench or promotes in no time. but i would also mention it so they know you are interested :) i almost past up my promo because i assumed they knew i wanted to be the TL. good luck!
*you can find the core roles for any position on workbench. pretty easy to find

That would be much appreciated!

Congrats on the promotion! so far I've only worked with 5 different flow TLs, each of them very different from the other. The most successful 2 of them had A) years of experience as flow TLs and B) been promoted from a flow TM. The two least successful were transferred from team leads in other departments (presentation and backroom team leads), and the other one is still fairly new, and from outside the company.

Things to DO would be complete openness and honesty with your team. If your STL and ETL are telling you things pertinent to a particular TM or to your whole team, you need to relay that information. I remember one time where we waited for months before our ETL-Log told us that we were zoning the entire store incorrectly as we pushed, causing half the team that got hired and trained in that time to learn how to do everything the wrong way.

Make sure to hold everyone accountable to the same standard. If your team perceives you as fair this will go a long way to winning their trust. If you let one person get away with pushing an aisle at 1 carton every two minutes and everybody else is pushing at the standard case per minute, they better damn well have a medical restriction.

Don't get too chatty with particular team members, and be cold to others, this will get noticed. The one time I've seen a team lead fired was when a flow tl let this disparity turn into a physical dispute. My first flow tl had been working with some of her tms for nearly a decade. Now, when most of the team was gone I would see her chatting them up, asking them about their personal life and the like, but when everybody else was around she treated them like everybody else.

Don't condescend to your TMs. I've never seen a flow team lead do this, but I've seen most of the ETLs (especially the young ones) do this. It may be tempting to talk down to your TMs, but remember they won't respect you if you don't respect them. You can only give instruction to your team by talking to them as equals, if you act superior to them they won't take you seriously.

Hope this helps!

Hey JRFlowTL,

As a former ETL-Log and Replen I've always found that the most successful ETL's and TL's are the ones who relate well to the team and treat them with respect. I believe this is the single most important factor in Logistics success...Most of the Flow team's I've had work for me would bend over backwards to get things done for me and we always had a great time working side by side...Flow, while one of the most labor intensive and stressful work centers can also be one of the easiest if you have a solid team and process. In fact even if you have a bad process, you can get pretty far with a decent team if they like you...

Oh and people who are excellent in Pfresh are worth their weight in gold, and often get a little extra consideration I feel when going for TL. SL too

Congratulations on the Flow TL promotion. I went from PATL to Logistics Flow TL a few months ago, and the best advice I can give you is to work side-by-side with your team whenever possible. I know that you can't always jump into a heavy aisle when you're flowing/pushing the truck w/out your ETL, but whenever the change, work with them and don't just bark orders. Don't only follow up on certain team members, but on all team members so that no one is feeling singled out. Give them respect and they will respect you. I always have all of my paperwork printed out (Load Summary, Autofills, etc) so that I can see how large the workload is, if I need to add anyone to an area (mainly the backroom if autofills and/or backstock is heavy), and so that I can also see how many repacks are coming off the truck for each area (Dept. 37 and 52 have recently been the heaviest in my store). I set the expectations each day right from the start, including what the RWT time to beat is, and my team has consistently been beating that time - reason being, I'm right in the truck pacing it, and when need be, I'll jump either onto the blackline side or receiving line side (whichever is backing up) and help out. If your team sees that you are willing to get your hands dirty and help them out, then you will have a successful and happier team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back