Archived Food Service Team Lead Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been approached by my ETL and STL to step into the Food Service Team Lead position. I've been with Target for a few years, but I don't have any front end experience and I'm not even cashier trained (that's how I get so much work done).

But I'm on the bench and my leaders think I have good qualities for the FSTL position. I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept the position, I'd just like some more information about it.

So, anyone here have any experience working or leading food service that can give me some idea of what to expect?

Did they say which areas you'd be covering? I've seen two fstl's. Their responsibilities varied.

Our current one does that. Probably the easiest TL position in the store. I'd recommend it as it opens up doors further down the road and you'll be eased into leading team members. You're responsible for making sure safety standards are met and equipment is taken care of. Steritech really hammers food ave.

Our original covered deli and food cafe.

Yeah, they told me it's one of the easier TL positions, I'm glad to hear that confirmed.

Depending on your store, it may be the easiest or the most demanding.

FATLs usually manage Food Ave, order food, conduct FA inventory, manage cleaning guidelines, communicate new menu items, manage conditions and equipment in Food Ave, and may/may not make the FA schedule. Also they may/may not be back up for Consumables TL.

If anything like my stores, you will be rotated out within a year or two to another position.

Yeah, they told me it's one of the easier TL positions, I'm glad to hear that confirmed.

Easy? Absolutely. On the other hand it is like a separate part of the store that very easily gets cast to the side. Few words of advice-
* Partner with your ETL or STL to ensure what the hours are they've delegated to food on a weekly basis. Minimum and maximum if necessary.
*Know who does your schedule.
*Know your teams strong points as individuals; who is your order guru vs. Your steritech tm?
*Do not be afraid to challenge your leaders to be more involved in your workcenter as most food tms feel cast aside.
*If you want to do more than food one day, challenge your ETL to keep you in the salesfloor loops. Know store promos and talk to guests before they shop.
Lastly, don't ever accept defeat. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, SrSpotMate. Being cut off from the rest of the goings-on in the store is something I'd regret, but I also have friends in most workcenters that can fill me in.

I got offered the FSTL position at my store too. I was approached by two of my ETLS and asked if I was interested in moving to FSTL. I've never worked in Food Ave though so I have no idea what I'm walking into. I have worked at Starbucks a lot though so I know about steritech visits and keeping everything labeled etc... I do hate being cut off from the rest of the store too but this opportunity is too good to pass up . My interview is within a week. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
I would never call a position easy. Especially one I haven't worked. But at my store cafe is the one area that seems to always be well staffed compared to other departments.

However it's also a position at my store where if your good at it at it can become a black hole and you'll be stuck there. Not bad if that's what you want. But if you want to move on it could be a problem.

Depending on your store, it may be the easiest or the most demanding.

FATLs usually manage Food Ave, order food, conduct FA inventory, manage cleaning guidelines, communicate new menu items, manage conditions and equipment in Food Ave, and may/may not make the FA schedule. Also they may/may not be back up for Consumables TL.

If anything like my stores, you will be rotated out within a year or two to another position.

Basically what I do in my store but we don't have our own TL. Who knew I was doing the job of a TL for the pay of a regular TM?

There are several factors that will determine how your new role goes.
-what is the overall state of your store?
-are you high volume?

If your store is a red store like mine it will be a hard position because of call outs and turnover. Food ave is very easy when you are well staffed but when understaffed it sucks.

If you are wanting to promote quickly to another area or SrTL then it is very hard because if you do well then they want to keep you there.

It is good experience to keep on moving in management but be prepared to deal with picky ass guests and also get ready to kiss all their asses. Give them whatever they want because food ave is a complete waste, it makes very little money if any at all. Just temper your expectations. More than likely you'll be viewed as an extra special team member but you get the pay bump and out by 830 or 9 most nights when you close (definitely a big perk)

I would not say it's easy. I've worked food ave and at my store you're usually alone. You have to have great time management skills. Be organized. All while keeping up with dishes, helping guests and making sure you don't run out of things. Once you get your own processes down it will be easier.... But it being the easiest TL position? NOOOOOO

Some volumes of store don't have a dedicated TL for FA. At a few the GSTL oversees it.
Yeah, the old TL moved to some other position so now our TLs are our GSTLs which don't really know much about Food Avenue. They basically just order paper supplies and put work orders in. My coworker and I deal with the ordering, inventories, training new TMs and so on. It is a bit frustrating though because we would (obviously) love to get the TL pay (since we already do the work) but our store is Ultra low volume so chances of that position opening are pretty slim.

They basically just order paper supplies and put work orders in. My coworker and I deal with the ordering, inventories, training new TMs and so on. It is a bit frustrating though because we would (obviously) love to get the TL pay (since we already do the work) but our store is Ultra low volume so chances of that position opening are pretty slim.

Don't worry, this happens at high volume stores too. Expects More, Pays Less!

Update: I've been in the position for a couple of weeks now, and it's been interesting. I got a week of training with the old FSTL and mostly got set loose after that. My team is great; they all know what they are doing, they are efficient and don't mind training their team lead. I'm still getting used to it, there's a lot of stuff to keep track of. But so far I like it.

I was asked if I was inrested in becoming a team lead of course I said yes. Ive been with the company a VERY long time and think it's time to try it. I've been running pfresh since my store got it 2 years ago and I guess they liked how I ran fdc and pfresh. I've already had an interview with my etl and the stl. Tomorrow I have my 3rd one with my stl boss ( sad that I don't know the position name) and unfortunately I do well with the questions. Both my etl and stl told me to work on my answers for the my 3rd interview . Today I was supposed to mock interview with some of the lod but the day was too hetic. Now I'm nervous going into this blindly. Any tips?

I don't mind FATL, it is easier on most level but challenging when you do the the hours you need to get your stuff done or hire anyone (at my store I have to argue with my HRTM to get any decent applications, can't do much with a 8-4 availibility!). Once you get a good team the the depth runs itself and you don't have much to worry about.☺

I was asked if I was inrested in becoming a team lead of course I said yes. Ive been with the company a VERY long time and think it's time to try it. I've been running pfresh since my store got it 2 years ago and I guess they liked how I ran fdc and pfresh. I've already had an interview with my etl and the stl. Tomorrow I have my 3rd one with my stl boss ( sad that I don't know the position name) and unfortunately I do well with the questions. Both my etl and stl told me to work on my answers for the my 3rd interview . Today I was supposed to mock interview with some of the lod but the day was too hetic. Now I'm nervous going into this blindly. Any tips?

You will do great, the third interview is pretty much like the first 2 you already had. Be confident, slow down your answers, do not get off topic (this was myissue) and you will do great! Let us know how you did!

You will do great, the third interview is pretty much like the first 2 you already had. Be confident, slow down your answers, do not get off topic (this was myissue) and you will do great! Let us know how you did!

Thanks! I passed my last interview today and go for training in a week. Pretty excited and nervous thanks for the tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back