Archived Forced to cross-train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that was an option. Now, I'm being told I have to train and do something I absolutely do not want to do.

When the hell did this start?

Does it matter? I'm well trained an a number of areas. There are some I don't want or care for. But now I'm being told I have to get trained in this area. I don't want to do it.

So when has this become policy?

Needs of the store.
It's part of your job description.
They can pretty much send you where ever they need you to go.
Now if they are good managers they will ask you and listen to your concerns.
Bad managers don't care and will just send you where ever they want you.
Desperate managers will do that too but they kinda don't have a choice and really are sorry they have to do it to you.

Which kind of manager do you have?

Does it matter? I'm well trained an a number of areas. There are some I don't want or care for. But now I'm being told I have to get trained in this area. I don't want to do it.

So when has this become policy?

No need to be so abrasive. I'm curious and apparently curiosity does kill the cat.

Awesome! When we are behind on (insert any area) we'll get the sft to help. Needs of the store.

I always thought that was an option. Now, I'm being told I have to train and do something I absolutely do not want to do.

When the hell did this start?

Guessing by your name, you're probably a plano tm, and seeing as there's no plano hours right now, they want to get you hours in other workcenters that they actually need staffing in. That's why oath2order asked the question about your workcenter. Like Commie said, you can't refuse it unless the core roles of the position are different from the position you agreed to, and they require you to do something you're physically incapable of doing, OR if the workcenter they're giving you hours in is a higher paygrade than you currently make.

Producer, can you give an example of what you mean by core roles being different than what you agreed to? It's retail. It's a no union job with no contract. I assume if I go in tomorrow and they say, oh by the way, you are in food ave now. What choice to I have?

I don't know if the interview questions have changed since you started, but one of the questions on the current app is, "Are you willing to cross train?" I think they ask this for a reason.

OP, I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat and am NOT happy about it. They are completely missing the "right team member, right place" on this one, but they don't give a shit.

I just find it hilarious that any time I ask to be cross trained there are no hours, but now they have them? Whatever.

Heh. I was worried my store was making me learn softlines this week actually.

Schedule has two days listed as "Guest Service Training". Front page of the schedule says Guest Service Training = Revisions (Softlines).

I assumed that applied to other people....not me. Or at least I hoped so since it was Dec 26th and 27th, two big days for returns, where I kind of thought they might hide service desk hours to ensure they had specific people at the service desk and didn't leave the store short on cashiers, rather than the usual "Throw random cashiers over there." nonsense that is iGS. Wasn't till today when I asked the STL for clarification that I was certain it wasn't softlines.

As for the OP, it's a job, you do what they want or they let you go. That's to be expected at any job. It's not something new. They employ you for their benefit, not yours.

And while I'd have absolutely not looked forward to two softline shifts this week, I'd have gulped and bit the bullet, and gone with it had that been the intent, not bitched and moaned and said I didn't wanna do it. It's life, sometimes unpleasant things are necessary.

Last edited:
I would welcome a sales floor cross training to break the monotony that is cashiering. Don't get me wrong, I love the front end but variety is the spice of life after all.

I just want to know what it is you dread so much? Food ave or cart attendant would be my two worst case scenarios I think? I'd also HATE to be at the service desk now that it's just registers 1,2&3, but I loathed the front end team at my store. They were like fiercely insincere... Bunch a jackals.

I don't honestly mind iGS, I'd still rather work at the service desk than most anywhere else in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back