Archived Forced to drink the Kool aid or get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came back, but switched stores. I am cordial and civil. I focus on guests, because I am one of those weirdos who actually enjoys most of them. I do my job to the best of my ability. I go home. And when my tires hit the road, I leave Target in the rear view.

I am a firm believer in the old "honest day's work for an honest day's pay" saw, but Target isn't getting any more of my mental energy when I'm off the clock. If I get in someone's crosshairs and I'm performanced out, their loss. My self-worth isn't dependent on their opinion. If it doesn't work out this time, I'll land on my feet. I always do.

I came back, but switched stores. I am cordial and civil. I focus on guests, because I am one of those weirdos who actually enjoys most of them. I do my job to the best of my ability. I go home. And when my tires hit the road, I leave Target in the rear view.

I am a firm believer in the old "honest day's work for an honest day's pay" saw, but Target isn't getting any more of my mental energy when I'm off the clock. If I get in someone's crosshairs and I'm performanced out, their loss. My self-worth isn't dependent on their opinion. If it doesn't work out this time, I'll land on my feet. I always do.

The fact that you’re on here posting and reading shows they’re getting your energy and time after hours too

Many times when than non-deferential non-koolaid drinker leaves, a lot of his co-workers who Spot would have liked to retain follow him out. It’s like the ripple effect of throwing a rock in a pond, you don’t know what effect screwing over one person will have on the rest of your operation.
Many years ago, I started that ripple effect. Completely different industry and I wasn't fired, but my resignation started a wave of resignations in my department. Upper management finally woke up and realized that our manager was a big problem. She was edged out (probably with a nice severance package) not long after that, but @BlackSheep is right about management not being able to predict what will happen when one person leaves. They should be careful about what they wish for ... but they won't.

The fact that you’re on here posting and reading shows they’re getting your energy and time after hours too

I see your point, but I used to do it at home. Now, only in the building, on my 15s. I put my phone in my locker on my 30. At my old store I was reading it obsessively, on my lunch (no breaks, lol), and at home. I wouldn't have learned GS as well as I did if it weren't for TBR. So, if I can pay being helpful forward, I try.

Nothing knew...Target's motivation now is FEAR and RETRIBUTION.

If I only remained at my original store....I highly ranked by two of my ETL-GSs to move up.

But I moved to another store that was initially pretty good on morale. Then when management changed....oh hell. If you asked them to

Had one ETL fired for having a relationship with a TM.
Myself and many others suspected one of my ETL-HRs was sleeping with the STL.
Certain TMs were allowed to have all their children join the store. ETLs would allow one kid to leave FA in a mess. Allowed the mother to work HR. Allow the another kid (GSA) to coach TMs.
The ETLs would only interview their chosen pick for an open position.

You know what... ETLs are among the worst people ever....

That last part is actually quite true. We have a team member or two that have come recently from boutique/specialty/high-end stores that sell high-end brands, and they look good and are able to merchandise well, but when it comes to reshop and maintaining a steady speed with pushing truck, they are lost.
And why are they lost? Because they never had to do that. Others who made $8.50 or 9 were pushing it out rapidly.

I'm thinking probably get out. I've been drinking the kool-aid the last year and I'm thinking about "noping" right the fuck out. what's funny is if I decided to just nope out, I'd be okay, because my side business is bringing in about $600 a week and I should be reducing my hours at Target anyways. (Just submitted a new availability, if it goes through, I'm staying)

I've clopened the last one and a half months every weekend and I work Friday-Tuesdays and pretty much clopen every Friday-Saturday and Monday-Tuesday. I tell my ETL-HR about it and she says "Sorry... that's just because you're the only one available to close those days!"

I work with a team of part-timers who don't give a shit and show up to get paid and not to work. They always leave 20 minutes before their shift actually ends. They'll say something like "Oh, looks like you're screwed tonight since we didn't finish truck, oh well, have fun, I'm out of here." and now my TL is on ANOTHER vacation until october 22nd. My PA is a freakishly obsessed with micro-managing and personal image, my Sr. ETL is making us change to a process that takes two more hours to complete freight when we usually finish at 10:30am... we finish most days now at 1pm.

I walked into my 1pm shift today and they still had two vehicles of freight to work. A part-timer was walking off to leave and he puts his hand on my shoulder and says "Good luck."
Another part-timer was off at 3:30 but decided he wanted to leave at 3:30, so I asked if he could at least take cardboard down to the baler. he says "Dude... I only have like four minutes left." and I said "I'm not asking you to stay fifteen minutes late I'm asking you to bring our cardboard down to the baler and leave it there on your way out?" and he says "No, but hey, I'll see you next weekend!"

LITERALLY NO ONE CARES IN MY TEAM. I don't even work in a team anymore, it's just been me for the most part. I've had to stay late and omit my breaks except my thirty minute ones the last two-three months to help out and setup for a potentially better opening morning and when the time comes for the other TMs to stay and help out for just an extra half an hour, they never choose to.

It's just been really sucky. My department has zero upper-management support, my TL is on another month-long absence, the only upper-level management support I ever get is from my Sr. TL-Hardlines because he use to work in the same department at another store and knows all of the shit that goes on because apparently it's not as rare of an issue. My team doesn't act like a team, there's no commitment, just show up and GTFO at their scheduled time even if they never finished their work. I feel better knowing I actually care about my department and my work and try my best to leave everything done and clean but when no one else does, it demoralizes me greatly.

I would strongly insist that you decide to take a vacation. Or LOA. Nothing is going to change. Its not going to get better until they return to the old way to the economy goes down.

This! 100%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back