Archived Free Expired food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. How come target employees can't take home the expired food and damaged food from C&S? Most everything that gets tossed is either expiring that day or the following day. We sometimes throw away stacks and stacks of eggs at a time. Tons of bakery items etc. why can't we take this stuff home instead of it being trashed? Now I understand things like meat could make you sick so be off limits. I know a few people who work for bread companies who get to bring home expired bread when ever. Why can't we?

we donate a large amount to the local food bank,but a large amount is also thrashed,there should be a system where it could be given to team members in need,but it is impossible to get something like that done in target at this times.

Because that would require time to sort and get approved so it will never happen. Quicker to trash it.. Save those payroll hours.

An example: BR TM Andy really wants some of his favorite ice cream but can't afford it/doesn't want to pay for it. Luckily, Andy finds a case of it in the freezer that is within a month or two of expiring. Andy ensures that this case never makes it to the floor, hence is never sold, and must be QMOS'd. Andy takes it home under your system. Andy is rewarded for bad behavior and the store (potentially) loses money.

If you don't think this sort of scenario, or something similar, would occur many dozens or hundreds of times over the hundreds of Target locations in this country, you're admirably naive.

We may not all think it is fair, but it is trashed or donated for a reason.

Save Mart in CA has a system like that. They lose so much money on beer lmao.

We just put 2 big boxes of bAkery stuff in the break room this past Friday. TMs enjoyed the food. We usually donate it all but once in awhile it ends up in the break room.

I wax told the reason we don't do this is cause some TMs will put more out so it expires and they can take it home. Also others will break eggs just so they can get them. This is why we don't give things to TMs.

its liability. someone gets sick?

others its an ap issue. qmos'ing explicitly to give to team members.

all depends on the stl/ap.

Expired food is a liability, the only time I see it done is on holiday baked goods.

As far as damaged goods go, target fears, and rightfully so, that if they allow damaged foods to be taken without cost that team members will intentionally damage goods in attempt to consume them later. As a large retailer, you want ZERO incentive for a team member to damage product.

It honestly makes me sad the amount of food that gets tossed at target cafe. I am not asking that we get free food but seriously discounted pizzas or pastas is that going to hurt them?? I doubt it..

After a year in a P-fresh environment I can say yes all these scenarios and statements are true and or have happened. But if the management and team leads followed through with their responsibilities and upheld themselves to the skills, good judgment and I ntegrity that the position/pay, pays them for, we would see less waste good decisions and productive processes in use to handel and donate to local charities our less than brand worthy items. At some point leaders need to be held accountable to lead, train and choose TMs wisely and hold them to the same standards. I hear so many team members complain and give up on this. If I hear "that's just the way it is" one more time UGH it doesn't have to be!

This week I'm going to be throwing away a bunch of unopened unexpired easter candies because the register said so and the guest service TMs don't question the almighty register.
It takes a lot of self control not to pocket them.
Those butterfingers though...

Last edited:
Yet we could care less about the zone, which is a wreck. So we end up changing the prices on item after item. But no one cares. I was back up cashiering last week. A woman walks up with a coat that rings up $30 something. She says .... Oh, it's half off. A GSA just happened to be walking by. She says ..... Just change it. Boom, we lost over $15 in one transaction. This is some screwed up shit. This is why I refuse to care anymore.

I like ****. So I'm going to order extra ***** so it can go outdate, so that I can eat some of it.

One lawsuit from a TM who got sick off a 'questionable' pizza?
Yeh, that'll hurt 'em.
Just like if you get food poisoning one day, you are more likely not going to be able to sue for you can not 100% gaurantee it was the food in question that got you sick. Otherwise I could have sued Mcdonalds for sending me to the hospital with severe food poisoning. The judge wouldve laughed and thrown the case out

We all know Pizza Hut pizza lasts at least a day outside of a fridge, and most likely even longer. Sad to see all that's thrown away but we do what we're told

This week I'm going to be throwing away a bunch of unopened unexpired easter candies because the register said so and the guest service TMs don't question the almighty register.
It takes a lot of self control not the pocket them.
Those butterfingers though...

If it went out of the store and was returned - to the trash it goes. I totally agree with that. I am old enough to remember the Tylenol poisonings. But bags broken in store, just toss them in the breakroom.

Besides eggs and obviously expired meat, everything else ends up in the breakroom. It's always stocked full of bakery goods, cookies/brownies.. when aisles in market get revisions there's a ton of expired snackbars/chips/etc too. Some people occasionally try to take hope whole packages of the stuff, but they 'usually' get reprimanded for it.

its liability. someone gets sick?

others its an ap issue. qmos'ing explicitly to give to team members.

all depends on the stl/ap.
It's not really as long as it was donated there is no substantial legal liability it's pretty much given an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back