Archived Free Expired food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An example: BR TM Andy really wants some of his favorite ice cream but can't afford it/doesn't want to pay for it. Luckily, Andy finds a case of it in the freezer that is within a month or two of expiring. Andy ensures that this case never makes it to the floor, hence is never sold, and must be QMOS'd. Andy takes it home under your system. Andy is rewarded for bad behavior and the store (potentially) loses money.

If you don't think this sort of scenario, or something similar, would occur many dozens or hundreds of times over the hundreds of Target locations in this country, you're admirably naive.

We may not all think it is fair, but it is trashed or donated for a reason.
The bigger crime is that Target pays so little you need to plot to steal ice cream two months in advance

It opens up too big a can of worms, making doing it not a wise move.

Yes I suppose getting sick off of questionable pizza be gross..... Better safe than sorry. Slightly off topic but I remember when we used to have chili cook offs at my store but one day someone got sick and that was over and no one and I mean no one could bring anything from home anymore ( people brought in cookies, cakes etc) but now everything has to be target bought or costco bought ( they buy things in bulk sometimes)

Employees shouldn't get the expired or excess product. Local shelters should. Target shouldn't be held accountable once a product is donated. Too much dog food thrown away. Throwing out boxes of bananas and bagged salads, pounds of hamburger meat that could hold someone over for a day.

The government should step in and realize the potential of our waste. Give companies breaks for donating, with no limit, to better our country and feed the millions who go to bed hungry.

We donate once a week to our local shelter. So if the bakery product expires the next day or a couple after its going to go into the breakroom. For me at least. Or I find frozen pies that should have gone out many moons ago.

This week I'm going to be throwing away a bunch of unopened unexpired easter candies because the register said so and the guest service TMs don't question the almighty register.
It takes a lot of self control not to pocket them.
Those butterfingers though...

What exactly are they supposed to do? Once the seasonal candy isn't on the sales floor anymore, it has to go sonewhere, and the system decides that. I don't know if other stores are different but usually our seasonal candy gets salvaged and donated after the holiday, not trashed. The only stuff that is trashed is returned food, food with broken containers, or expired food.

Employees shouldn't get the expired or excess product. Local shelters should. Target shouldn't be held accountable once a product is donated. Too much dog food thrown away. Throwing out boxes of bananas and bagged salads, pounds of hamburger meat that could hold someone over for a day.

The government should step in and realize the potential of our waste. Give companies breaks for donating, with no limit, to better our country and feed the millions who go to bed hungry.
Its a fight at our store. Now that I'm not pfresh we are back to just dry goods and meat. No dairy, produce, etc. They don't care and don't try.

Although the pet shelter got the pillow displays when I changed them.

This week I'm going to be throwing away a bunch of unopened unexpired easter candies because the register said so and the guest service TMs don't question the almighty register.
It takes a lot of self control not to pocket them.
Those butterfingers though...

Just because the register says "toss" you can still put them with your donate items. We'll give it to the food bank. Better than tossing it.

Yeah man I would love me some moldy free strawberries. I can just pick off the fuzzy white stuff. Yummy! I'll take some black bananas too and some brown meat. Maybe a moldy fruit cup as well.

Oh boy, that sounds great, that's just making my lips moist just thinking about it! :D

It honestly makes me sad the amount of food that gets tossed at target cafe. I am not asking that we get free food but seriously discounted pizzas or pastas is that going to hurt them?? I doubt it..

I agree with you. I always hated having to QMOS and toss the food at the end of the night in Food Ave. No telling how much food I threw away in my time there. It always killed me that we couldn't donate that or do something with it other than toss it in the garbage can.

Oh boy, that sounds great, that's just making my lips moist just thinking about it! :D
tumblr_mvwu24Ma9j1qjiauvo3_250.gif

The real problem target is worried about is losing tm sales if there is always free food. I've got tm who will eat chips for lunch instead of buying something, others who will dig through the fridge and east anything they don't see a name on (often with one, just on a side they didn't check), and others who will bring whole unopened packages home- right from your hands or under your nose- because "they said it was ok last time"

None of this makes spot any money. And heaven forbid they admit to being the reason tms would rather eat chips for dinner than squeeze another meal out of their paycheck.

There should always be some sort of gruel in the breakroom.

None of this makes spot any money. And heaven forbid they admit to being the reason tms would rather eat chips for dinner than squeeze another meal out of their paycheck.

A TM at my former store used to rely on the free food put in the break room for any meals while he was at work just because he couldn't make ends meet if he was spending money on himself for lunches. He was married with a wife and a kid or two and was too proud to go the food stamp route.

A TM at my former store used to rely on the free food put in the break room for any meals while he was at work just because he couldn't make ends meet if he was spending money on himself for lunches. He was married with a wife and a kid or two and was too proud to go the food stamp route.
Most of mine are just to cheap. If you don't buy lunches you can afford other things instead.

With three kids money was always tight so we brown-bagged early on. I packed myself a lunch while helping them do theirs & I learned that a boring lunch won't get eaten (by me OR them) so we kept it interesting. It takes time & planning which most working parents seldom have.
Long ago we used to put the QMOS'd Starbucks pastries in the breakroom for the evening folk until there were complaints about a couple of TMs snagging them during break & taking them home so we had to go back to tossing them.
#WhyWeCantHaveNiceThings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back