Archived Freshness Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was wondering what the most effective way to do freshness friday is and how other stores do it. Currently we just do 3 aisles or so every Friday and just rotate through the next section.

Im trying to make a table detailing the date and aisles to be checked so we can quickly reference the sheet without having to think about what was done the week before and what have you.

For example:
July 5 / G19-G21
July 12 / G22-G24

The problem with only doing 3 aisles or so is that it would take almost 3 months to complete 1 cycle. My BR TL also suggested we might check one side of the dry aisles in the backroom as well for freshness friday. So for example we would do 108 which is GRC 1 on the left side of the aisle.

The problem ive noticed is that we dont usually have that many people fridays to check so getting through 3 aisles is about all we can do. Any tips or process information from your experiences would be awesome just to see where we compare and if we could change anything up. We usually do enter a fair ammount of product into the SDA and find at least a half cart full of QMOS almost every time.

At my store we do it on Mondays because normally there isn't any smart huddle. And we let our CTL tell us where to check. We all have been it awhile so we know the places to check the most we normally all split up theres typically a group of 6 - 10 of us. everyone has their favorites to check, my one team member likes to check the ghiradeli type candy, i liek checking the gum, condiments and mac n cheese, everyone else seems to prefer to check the pfresh area

Marshmallows too. Seritech checks dog food & marshmallows, every time. Eye stuff, toothpaste, tobacco gum, etc...

Partner! Have the GSTL take care of the check lanes. You can divide those up so they do one set each week therefore every month they are completed. Don't forget to check the wetones, 4 hour energies too. Then become partners with the flow tl. Whoever finds the most outdates and who ever finds the oldest product get a 12 pack. Yes you are rewarding them for "doing their job" but some recognition goes a long way. Also find out if they are having the same few people stock baby food. If they do, visit that person and let them know you appreciate that they rotate etc. Show them how to put things into the SDA or if they dont have access to a PDA (this is probably true) have them write DPCiS of close dated product. You need to get the whole team passionate about how outdates can affect the entire perception of your store.You should check product daily. Maybe on Mondays its Archer Farms frozen, on Tuesday Archer Farms chips etc. If you take care of house brands then you can focus on other areas during freshness Fridays. Be smart! I think checking soup cans,tomato sauce etc is non productive since the outdates are 4 and 5 years. Focus on items that "sit". If your store does not sell much of the Asian product line, that should be done. I am sure you get the idea. Then make up a rolling 4 week calendar and stick to it. If you are off designate someone to hold FF. Make it fun! If you find your birthdate you get a pop! Make it 15 minutes, not a minute longer. The teams will learn to hate you quick if you keep them for 30-40 minutes. Value their time. Then make sure you show up to other peoples smart huddles. Again RECOGNIZE RECOGNIZE RECOGNIZE!

FF consisted of a morning huddle and then the entire team (hardlines, softlines, gstl/gsa, cart attendant, flow) all splitting up throughout dry market/pfresh checking things.

Tortillas, nuts, chips, peanut butter, beef jerkey, and canned goods were the big hits.

And a gift card for the person who finds the most out of date item or the largest number of out of date items.

In my store we would check the dairy items each week because they are usually shorter freshness dates....and there are a lot of items to check...yogurt, cottage cheese, more yogurt, milk, butter, eggs....you get the idea.

The people in consumables had their own regular stuff to check on a weekly basis.

We are now a fresh store, so FF may be different.

Oh....the cashiers are responsible for checking the foods up front.....and candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back