Archived Front End Op Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was making a flippant remark about how guests don't need to pull elaborate scams when our actual policy lets them take advantage of us

sorry if that was unclear
Got it! I’ve gone around with my GSTL before about returns without a receipt when there is a lower price and they just need to exchange it for a different size. I’ve gone ahead and lowered the price a couple of dollars to make it even. We’ll go ahead and adjust a price $40 because the guest can’t read the sign, but you want to make this guest pay the $2 difference between the NRR and the same item being purchased?

“Fast Service” as we know it today wont exist. With most stores wrapping up remodels most should have 8-16 SCO’s. The store should be scheduling cashier to traffic times. During peak times when fast service typically occurs there should be the leads and leader to help line bust, speedweave or jump on. The only people that would respond to fast service would be the closing team. The rest of the team members should be focused on the guests and tasks on the floor.
If that's truly the case my store is going to have to quickly figure out how to write a decent front end schedule, hold cashiers accountable for their call ins (8 today alone for my shift), and actually learn how to staff the front end without gaps.
Every single one of my weekend and closing shifts I spend 1-2 hours up there simply because I use to go a GSTL and my ETL cant stand to hear them beg for help.

If that's truly the case my store is going to have to quickly figure out how to write a decent front end schedule, hold cashiers accountable for their call ins (8 today alone for my shift), and actually learn how to staff the front end without gaps.
Every single one of my weekend and closing shifts I spend 1-2 hours up there simply because I use to go a GSTL and my ETL cant stand to hear them beg for help.
With this new process rolling out, it’s only going to get worse.

With this new process rolling out, it’s only going to get worse.
Why? We've been making sure everyone is crosstrained to do basic guest service functions for at least 6 months. The basics aren't hard to master. There's no reason to not be able to use a My Device to check price matches, price changes, etc. The GSAs hate actually being up front, so we've been handling rushes ourselves. Honestly, they looked at their promotion as a way to get out of work and to gossip constantly about tms. Why would target need that?
I think the move makes sense.

As for the ones who didn't take 4 hour schedules as a sign it was time to change or quit? They need to go.

Why? We've been making sure everyone is crosstrained to do basic guest service functions for at least 6 months. The basics aren't hard to master. There's no reason to not be able to use a My Device to check price matches, price changes, etc. The GSAs hate actually being up front, so we've been handling rushes ourselves. Honestly, they looked at their promotion as a way to get out of work and to gossip constantly about tms. Why would target need that?
I think the move makes sense.

As for the ones who didn't take 4 hour schedules as a sign it was time to change or quit? They need to go.
In my store, my GSA’s are the backbone of the front. They aren’t standing around and gossiping as they do not have the time. Most of the time they are double covering due to lack of staffing levels. We also cross train those TM’s who can manage working at GS. With the new expectation that everyone at the front be able to work at GS, I would say half our front staff would not be able to do it for an extended period of time and minors aren’t supposed to work there. We don’t have this miraculous amount of qualified people knocking at our door wanting to work at Target. It was a struggle hiring people for the holidays this year.

In my store, my GSA’s are the backbone of the front. They aren’t standing around and gossiping as they do not have the time. Most of the time they are double covering due to lack of staffing levels. We also cross train those TM’s who can manage working at GS. With the new expectation that everyone at the front be able to work at GS, I would say half our front staff would not be able to do it for an extended period of time and minors aren’t supposed to work there. We don’t have this miraculous amount of qualified people knocking at our door wanting to work at Target. It was a struggle hiring people for the holidays this year.
We had tons of applicants, but few hires, too. At least we got decent hours. My guess is that everyone will have training, at least, so they can stop sending people to GS for simple stuff.
I wish our GSAs would help more. It sure runs me wrong so I'm not sorry to see the position go away.

We had tons of applicants, but few hires, too. At least we got decent hours. My guess is that everyone will have training, at least, so they can stop sending people to GS for simple stuff.
I wish our GSAs would help more. It sure runs me wrong so I'm not sorry to see the position go away.
I hear the you on the sending people to GS for the little things. Then again, if the GSTL’s were properly training them they wouldn’t keep sending them to GS.

With the new op model, since 'GSA' no longer exist, we are supposed to train cashiers to open/close registers and do their own overrides when GSTL is not around in morning or night. How are you guys giving them override/supervisor codes? I don't know how to do this

With the new op model, since 'GSA' no longer exist, we are supposed to train cashiers to open/close registers and do their own overrides when GSTL is not around in morning or night. How are you guys giving them override/supervisor codes? I don't know how to do this
If you have supervisor capability to begin with you can re-classify your team members. Follow the prompts on the register. You however need said team member with you to do it since they need to key in their TM number. It's under K4 with GSTL functions.

My store is only giving the codes to a select few. It's a trust issue.

When I became a GSA, HR had to key something in before the “supervisor” option would show up for the GSTL to give me access.

I’ve noticed we can give it to new hires immediately, but not to established TMs. (I can grant it, as a GSA. Had my ETL look at it and try with their number for an established TM and they couldn’t change it, either.) Anyone in HR have any insight? Do not-new TMs still need to be rekeyed?

In my opinion, yes gsa’s are going away but they will still be up front full time as SCO mostly and they are going to be running the front whether people see it that way or not. from here they are expected to teach and train all the TM’s to work and think like they do. Sounds like a decent idea but many gsa’s are discouraged at this point...

When I became a GSA, HR had to key something in before the “supervisor” option would show up for the GSTL to give me access.

I’ve noticed we can give it to new hires immediately, but not to established TMs. (I can grant it, as a GSA. Had my ETL look at it and try with their number for an established TM and they couldn’t change it, either.) Anyone in HR have any insight? Do not-new TMs still need to be rekeyed?

Good observation. Anyone have insight into this?

Good observation. Anyone have insight into this?
It’s likely that the new hires are keyed into the new job codes and HR still has to migrate the tenured TMs over still. I *think* this is what’s happening.. The new work centers haven’t dropped in for us to get everyone switched over yet. That’s coming by the end of the month.

We’re being told all our cashiers will become advocates with supervisor numbers the first week of June. What could go wrong?
Why are you guys so bothered by this? The gstls are going to be the leaders, and the GSAs never did anything but say, approve it. We fix pricing afterwards, except if it's crazy.

It should speed things up.

Why are you guys so bothered by this? The gstls are going to be the leaders, and the GSAs never did anything but say, approve it. We fix pricing afterwards, except if it's crazy.

It should speed things up.
OK, as a GSA at both my stores I did far more. Not as much as a GSTL, and I'll be the first to say so. But I open/close on my own, and am expected to be the first line of defense at Guest Services (and de-escalate a lot of situations without having to involve higher-ups). I didn't just roll over if I thought something was fraudulent or if something violated Target's policies. (It was my higher-ups who did that.)

That said, I know ASANTS, and I also saw more than a couple of people who became GSA and turned it into an excuse not to do anything.

We have plenty of people who are up to the challenge. We also have plenty who aren't. It's that second group that has me worried.

Our old S&E Leader also let people cherry-pick their availability, and most of the qualified folks aren't available on evenings or weekends. Because of that, from a purely selfish point of view, I don't want to have to close all the time until everyone gets up to speed.

OK, as a GSA at both my stores I did far more. Not as much as a GSTL, and I'll be the first to say so. But I open/close on my own, and am expected to be the first line of defense at Guest Services (and de-escalate a lot of situations without having to involve higher-ups). I didn't just roll over if I thought something was fraudulent or if something violated Target's policies. (It was my higher-ups who did that.)

That said, I know ASANTS, and I also saw more than a couple of people who became GSA and turned it into an excuse not to do anything.

We have plenty of people who are up to the challenge. We also have plenty who aren't. It's that second group that has me worried.

Our old S&E Leader also let people cherry-pick their availability, and most of the qualified folks aren't available on evenings or weekends. Because of that, from a purely selfish point of view, I don't want to have to close all the time until everyone gets up to speed.
I meant, I rarely see a situation where the GSA doesn't agree...override needed.

The other issues, well, I hate to step on toes, but I will be glad to see them on lanes again, actually helping.

We are too thin to not have everyone really moving guests out the door.

And I speak only for myself, but I would not be willing to work every shift like it's Christmas with lines so deep that you can hardly take time to be pleasant, never mind get a redcard, while someone else takes 20 minutes to pass on the gripes if the day to the next gsa.

I was ready to knock on HRs door when the change came. As it is, my gstl sees me and promises it's going to change. Lol

Last edited:
Everything can be price challenge & given for free.
Well, I was in pilot store. My experience is that the biggest issue is pricing. So yes, we change prices alot. We the use the price challenge to fix the problem. Lots of old sales tags, etc.

We also have zebras, can scan for price changes, costs, etc, so we aren't being scammed. And everyone knows we pricematch, so lowering price is common.

We're empowered to make those decisions. If someone abused the giftcard function, they'll pop up on a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back