Fulfillment being phased out?

I could see that working for stores with OPU only, but not with ship. Although nothing would surprise me anymore, they will cross train everybody and either bitch that fulfillment isn't done on time or whatever else they should be working on isn't. Our mid shift GM peeps spend most time on a lane or in opu. Then we hear about reshops, zone, rollover, OFOs. Well you can't have it both ways, people can only wear so many hats. And if you want something done fast and efficiently, you should have the training and payroll to back it up. Neither of which Spot excells at anymore.

Yeah. Let me tell you about getting tossed multiple hats and being told to worn each one fully all the time.

That being said I doubt that fulfillment will go away in the busier stores. My store started off slow. Exploded last year and is already pulling more resources than we have hours for so the rest of the metrics are starting to fall behind already.

I cant see how they could that that without a complete revamp to the way orders work. Unless batches get split by department idk how it would work. Flex is around 20% of daily sales in my store

I cant see how they could that that without a complete revamp to the way orders work. Unless batches get split by department idk how it would work. Flex is around 20% of daily sales in my store
I'd be interested in hearing how Small Format stores handle OPUs and then try and figure out how a chain store would do it. I expect that's how HQ would want things implemented.

I'd be interested in hearing how Small Format stores handle OPUs and then try and figure out how a chain store would do it. I expect that's how HQ would want things implemented.
If we are barely getting any, we assign a person to be in charge of it and do them as they come in, just like when fulfillment started years ago (before it really caught on). If it gets really busy and that one person can't keep up with it, we'll ask another to help out. If it got busier than that, get another person, etc. They just get scheduled under GM with OPU as their shift code or whatever it's called.

Just like 75% of the crap Target does it seems to be like it was based for a small format but they force everyone to do it. Like the "new" unload and freight system that only 1 DC in the country uses. No way any remotely busy store could do this considering most stores in my district do 1500-2000 OPU units daily right now and one does like 3500+. Also Target loves to give our 1 pack station more SFS units per pack station than all the other stores in our district and they hate giving out payroll to get rid of dedicated fulfillment tms.

We have 3 stations the middle one can not be used because they are too close together. So will adjustments be made to the amount of orders being dropped?
Hey I've always been told "there's no dumb question." Wait for me to drink the kool-aid before y'all answer.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have people crosstrained to fulfillment, but I can't imagine there being a change in scheduling. If you're GM, you get cross-trained for flex (most at my store already have been) and you can be scheduled for shifts under flex or be pulled in (like we were tonight) when shit gets really busy.

Store been slammed this week, in-store, OPU, SFS thanks to the stimulus checks....on the week in which hours were seriously cut and all the seasonals were let go. Not good timing, that.

I honestly cannot see Flex Fulfill getting phased out as a department. It's seriously the fastest growing segment for the corporation itself. Three years ago in my store we had like six full-time experts and after seasonal reductions this year, we'll be sitting at about 25 peeps. I have heard, though, that there is a big push to get regular gm/style/groc cross-trained into it. (Like backing up at the lanes but in OPUs.) If it did get phased out, and departments did their own OPUs, who would do the packing for the SFS portion? The receiving expert? She's busy enough as it is at my store, at least.

Last edited:
Yup you can't add 3 jobs onto someone and expect them to be in 3 places at once
You're literally describing modernization. Think about it: they took the people who did just zoning and reshop and then started to make them do the the jobs of almost every other position in the store. We now have the responsibilities of the flow, signing, price change, backroom, pog and logistics teams plus some team lead duties. If Target is willing to do that then I can see them adding fulfillment to our plate. I'm already seeing team leads and etls picking batches almost every single day.

You're literally describing modernization. Think about it: they took the people who did just zoning and reshop and then started to make them do the the jobs of almost every other position in the store. We now have the responsibilities of the flow, signing, price change, backroom, pog and logistics teams plus some team lead duties. If Target is willing to do that then I can see them adding fulfillment to our plate. I'm already seeing team leads and etls picking batches almost every single day.
In my store, I NEVER see team leads or etls picking.
However, most of our softlines tms are already cross trained and pulled from their zones to pick. And, after being sent to back up cashier, assist in pushing gm freight, then pulled to pick orders, we are given minimum amounts of time to be in our own areas. Yet, we are still being continuously chastised for not doing 100% zone, reshop, price change, freight, backstock, etc in our dbo areas.
Many of my coworkers (long time tms) have had emotional breakdowns at work. The newer tms just quit!
The opening tms and mid shifters seem to get less heat from tls & etls about completing their tasks when they are assigned duties outside of their dbo areas. Closers bear the full ire of tls & etls. Our sd expects 100% of everything completed by closers, every night. Whatever day shift doesn't finish, we must finish for them.
This past few days, several tms have adopted a "fuck it, they can just go ahead and fire me" attitude.
I'm broken & my coworkers are too. Unfortunately, jobs are scarce in my area. And, most of us don't have a way to survive if we are suddenly jobless.

Back