Benefits Full time vs Part time benefits?

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought health insurance was tied to full time and you needed an average of about 32 hours or more to keep the insurance, but now I'm being told full time is considered 29.5 and up? Does insurance require a bit more average hours or am I missing something? Also, what's the difference between full time and part time benefits because I work 2 jobs and I don't want to burn myself out from both, but I guess I was technically working full time? I recently put in my desired hours survey 28 hours, which would eventually bump me to part-time and was wondering what I would be losing.

Due to the pandemic and all the extra hours I was working at Target because my other job was largely on pause, I got to full time status which meant health insurance. From what I've been told, you need to keep your average hours at 30 to qualify. The 30 hour average needs to be present by the end of the year in order to qualify for the following year's coverage, if that makes sense. The biggest thing I've seen going up to full-time is that I get insurance, a personal day and will get paid for 2 holidays. But the insurance itself, compared to what I had with my other job, is kinda worth pushing myself for. Because Target is a large corporation, their rates are insanely lower that what I was paying...a savings of at least $800/month. The insurance is exactly the same (high-deductible, not super great plan) but I pay a lot less for it so, for me, it's a win.

Due to the pandemic and all the extra hours I was working at Target because my other job was largely on pause, I got to full time status which meant health insurance. From what I've been told, you need to keep your average hours at 30 to qualify. The 30 hour average needs to be present by the end of the year in order to qualify for the following year's coverage, if that makes sense. The biggest thing I've seen going up to full-time is that I get insurance, a personal day and will get paid for 2 holidays. But the insurance itself, compared to what I had with my other job, is kinda worth pushing myself for. Because Target is a large corporation, their rates are insanely lower that what I was paying...a savings of at least $800/month. The insurance is exactly the same (high-deductible, not super great plan) but I pay a lot less for it so, for me, it's a win.
I thought if you go below the average during that year, you'll lose the insurance the following month? If that's the case, I don't think the benefits for me are truly worth it as my insurance is good enough for what I need it for and at least I know I'll have it the whole year

Great explanation.

I thought if you go below the average during that year, you'll lose the insurance the following month? If that's the case, I don't think the benefits for me are truly worth it as my insurance is good enough for what I need it for and at least I know I'll have it the whole year
It’s your average hours at the end of the year. I always play it safe at 30 hours or more.

If you average 29.5 hours at the end of December, you will qualify for full time benefits for the entire following year. They will then do the same thing each subsequent year.

Stores will typically say 30 hours just to be safe. 29.45 will not qualify you.

If you need medical benefits, it might be worth asking to average 30 hours

Back