Functioning GM $60 mill and over?

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention that I do trick the system in one way. I own Reverse Logistics and that area gets a bit more hours than I need so I sometimes schedule my dayside Backroom guys under there with a shift label “BR”. We all know what they’re there for.
Yeah I get 60h for reverse logistics , do the same as you

Will you look at our typical double on sched.
Is this sufficient ?
Are you talking 100% correct sort or is there wiggle room.
For a double (eg 1900 & 1500) here’s our typical schedule.

10 pm team consists of:-
1TL
5 TMs for line
1 SL breakout tm
1 thrower

11pm team
1-2 GM tms

4am team
1-2 gm tms
1 SL tm

7am
4-6 gm tms

We(ON) unload and push P1 ,90% , by 7am All of inbound is out, so typically have 4-6 gm tms push p2, zone, 1:1s

We come clean 90% of the time,
and the 10% we don’t, its FUBAR....

Edit:- I am sure there many anonymous ETLs, SDs and even dsds on here. (hq fo sho) , recently I have noticed an uptick in their willingness to share , advise and admit that they are an ETL. wTf right? @forminashade @commievrius

So what’s up, why you guys gotta be so unrealistic sometimes. Back off me bro.
Seems about right. I schedule mine as a group 10 for a single and 16ish for a double. 10-6:30 for everyone. Plus breakout and 4-5 GM during the day for zones and OFO

Will you look at our typical double on sched.
Is this sufficient ?
Are you talking 100% correct sort or is there wiggle room.
For a double (eg 1900 & 1500) here’s our typical schedule.

10 pm team consists of:-
1TL
5 TMs for line
1 SL breakout tm
1 thrower

11pm team
1-2 GM tms

4am team
1-2 gm tms
1 SL tm

7am
4-6 gm tms

We(ON) unload and push P1 ,90% , by 7am All of inbound is out, so typically have 4-6 gm tms push p2, zone, 1:1s

We come clean 90% of the time,
and the 10% we don’t, its FUBAR....

Edit:- I am sure there many anonymous ETLs, SDs and even dsds on here. (hq fo sho) , recently I have noticed an uptick in their willingness to share , advise and admit that they are an ETL. wTf right? @forminashade @commievrius

So what’s up, why you guys gotta be so unrealistic sometimes. Back off me bro.
Looks like you’re at 19 total for the double and I have to ask the volume of your store. Also how are your OFO batches, who Backstock, etc.

I wouldn’t say it’s not significant but I would say it seems like the work is spread out a great deal for an imo unnecessary amount of time. I would rather beef up that 11pm team. Have everything pushed and backstocked so the dayside team can focus on zones, reshop, sales planners, etc.

However, I’m not sure the sales range of your store. It’s like you’re blending a high volume model with a flex store model. I always feel like if you have overnight that should mean your sales are enough to warrant the Style of unload I outlined.

For my store pushing during the day must be the last resort as the guest traffic makes that extremely hard to do.

In regards to sort the only areas I take liberties is PP2 stuff. That’s due to space constraints and the fact that we’re overnight. I can use pallets for certain things. Dayside unload or pushing I wouldn’t be able to.

Perhaps let us know your store sales and that’ll put things into perspective.

Last edited:
🙄65 Mil
🙄 ofo, just got it down to 400-500/day for whole store

Gotcha. In my area if you’re under $70 million you don’t get overnight. Over that you get it and it’s up to the SD to figure out what model best works for him/her.

I don’t think the model is bad it just seems like a lot of messing around to get to a result you could have by 5 or 6am you know what I mean.

However, it could be the sales of the store factoring in idk. I feel like if you’re overnight then might as well go all the way with it. In my area they’ll make your store a 4am unload for sure.

Do you feel like there is something you guys can be doing differently to make it more efficient?

edit: You added more information. You guys definitely could lean a bit more on overnight and be super efficient. My one team member during the day I put under reverse logistics can pull your entire OFO batches for your store in less than 2 hours.

If I ran that store instead of having people come in to push PP2, zone, and do OFOs. I’ll just have them push the OFOs already pulled and then go to zone, reshop, and SPLs, etc.

Last edited:
Gotcha. In my area if you’re under $70 million you don’t get overnight. Over that you get it and it’s up to the SD to figure out what model best works for him/her.

I don’t think the model is bad it just seems like a lot of messing around to get to a result you could have by 5 or 6am you know what I mean.

However, it could be the sales of the store factoring in idk. I feel like if you’re overnight then might as well go all the way with it. In my area they’ll make your store a 4am unload for sure.

Do you feel like there is something you guys can be doing differently to make it more efficient?
Yeah, true overnight, without the pallets, cages and bowling. (I am sooo dating myself)
Having a 4-6 gm team in at midnight , will result in clean line by 7am

Backroom TMs. I wish we had those. Haven't since modernization.
I typically have one everyday I just have to pay for it from other areas. Typically use my receiver and one person daily to maintain backroom brand, help pull 1-1s, make bales, all things vendors, steel organization.

I wish my higher up leads would listen to my input on scheduling and whatnot I get from you all.

We roll with 5 inbound (have to pull 1-2 gm people to make sort work well depending on what’s on the trailer) and then 5-6 overnight team members (minus 1-2 for inbound).

They have one receiver that can’t keep up their area. And then they schedule 3 gm people and gripe about 141s and truck not getting finished.

But next year might hopefully be better since they’ll base everything off a 50m store instead of 40.

I wish my higher up leads would listen to my input on scheduling and whatnot I get from you all.

We roll with 5 inbound (have to pull 1-2 gm people to make sort work well depending on what’s on the trailer) and then 5-6 overnight team members (minus 1-2 for inbound).

They have one receiver that can’t keep up their area. And then they schedule 3 gm people and gripe about 141s and truck not getting finished.

But next year might hopefully be better since they’ll base everything off a 50m store instead of 40.

How many ex-logistics ETLs in your store? Sometimes if they don’t have past logistics experience they won’t understand what you’re even trying to say.

How many ex-logistics ETLs in your store? Sometimes if they don’t have past logistics experience they won’t understand what you’re even trying to say.
Just one that came from Walmart with all around and food experience . And then worked at a smaller pfresh target for a while. The really are in the boat of if you don’t get it right it just rolls down hill until the people at the bottom get the worst. Needless to say 4th quarter was a wreck somehow made it through. With an inventory in there and half the leaders out with covid. Supposedly they know how to get it going but there’s a complete lack of compassion that just burns the team out and makes things harder.

I have to say that I’m
Happy q4 is pretty much done , inbound is back to being schedule dayside for 4.5 hours . We obviously continue with the normal schedule of trailers as
Per q4 but I’m glad I don’t need to go overnight.
With that being said no matter how many people I had scheduled in inbound be it 10-15 I never used them all on the truck . Trucks was done with one unloader, 5 sorters and rest of the team pulled feets , or pushed toys and small appliances during that time.

I have this super lovely “hey you’re overnight for two more weeks but we don’t have hours to schedule anyone overnight so have fun skeleton crewing it” and then having people on day side come in and seem lost and lose their minds that truck is still all over the place.

At my store it sounds like they schedule people overnight and then most of them don't show up. Freight is...an issue at my store.

I posted in another thread before I’ll paste some here.

Doubles:

25 pushers/Unloaders
2-3 A&A breakdown
7-8 Backroom

Triples:

35 pushers/unloaders
2-3 A&A breakdown
7-8 Backroom

I also reserve hours for two of my elite team members to come in during the day (7am) to help if we happen to leave any Backstock. Also they help with projects like space management and updating aisles.

100 hours per trailer
343 hours for Backroom TMs (7 every night)

We’re responsible for pulling all OFO batches except specialty and all backstock except Tech.

One closing GM team member sets the line so we’re ready to go when we come in.

Every store is different but I’ve found this method works in high volume stores. I’ve seen some small stores adapt it and use the same method but instead of everyone being under Inbound they’re under GM etc.

Once scheduling is good it’s down to performance and keeping an eye on attendance.

I try to give most of my team members set schedules as much as possible. That way they’re able to plan their life and it gives them less excuses for calling out. They know I’ll tell them “you know what days you work, so I expect you to plan your life out accordingly”. Especially my Backroom TMs. They’re on a rotation.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention that I do trick the system in one way. I own Reverse Logistics and that area gets a bit more hours than I need so I sometimes schedule my dayside Backroom guys under there with a shift label “BR”. We all know what they’re there for.
We aren’t allowed to have “back room tms”. Dbos are supposed to do their own.

Our store is super behind because of covid, callouts and quitters. They didn't hire enough people or we barely had people applying.

We aren’t allowed to have “back room tms”. Dbos are supposed to do their own.

We all know that. We also know that stores have found that no Backroom team members was the worse idea coming out of modernization and found ways around it. It’s actually encouraged by most operation directors. You just pay for the hours from different departments ideally GM.

ASANTS but I know many stores that do this.

Ugh. Got a double tomorrow night and another monday morning.

let’s see. They scheduled 5 inbound people. And then 11 people to push. Always exciting. But hey hours are cut and it’s the end of the week. 🙃

And then Monday is 5 inbound and 5 people to push.

What is so hard about a mandatory 6 people?

It supposed to be 5 people and one unloader what is the stress ?
Cause it’s legit only 5 people. Not 5 and an unloader. Next person comes in at 1am.

And they wonder why I can’t hold the inbound team accountable for a speedy unload when they’re understaffed.

Back