Archived General HR and ETL relations advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to talk to my HR about how my LOG-ETL is treating me and how several people have moved to different areas or straight up quit because of them (these are facts, they told me before they quit or switched roles in the store...we kinda talk a lot behind our leaders backs) and how I love what I do at work but I would like to have a sit down together to just clear the animosity the LOG-ETL creates in the store. It literally kills all morale for a lot of people. I hate that we have to gossip behind their back and talk s-- about that ETL but it's a daily thing. We ALL have gripes. I know this is kinda typical with Logistics ETLs but this person is particularly unreasonable and breathes down everyone's necks...even our best workers. -_- Advice?

Edit: I know I can just request to talk to HR but our HR person seems like they would just side with whatever makes our store work better rather than changing a leaders behavior so I fear I have no recourse.

Last edited:
You're probably right about it, but at the same time you're pretty much screwed. Of course the ETL-HR will side with their co-worker the ETL-LOG. Unless its something instantly terminable, like sexual miscount, they will just see you as somebody complaining. They're aware of people leaving/transferring, and don't care (probably encourage it) because they're under pressure to perform unreasonable tasks. You'll probably just be seen as somebody not "on-board" with their (crazy) visions and it'll prob keep you stagnant in your role. We've all been around long enough to know that the crazy, insane, awful leaders are the ones that get promoted (purposefully) and the ones that have a heart/conscience leave the company.

Get a group of TMs together if you talk to HR. It likely still won't bring about much change, or they'll be temporary at best (in my experience, anyway), but it'll make more of an impact than a single TM's complaints.

I'd think hard about talking to ETL HR. They will definitely tell them who said what and it will directly impact your already bad relationship with the ETL LOG. Even if they know what you say is 100% true and agree there isn't much they can do since they are equals.

I think I'd talk with the STL. Being the boss of the ETLs, and often a bit removed from the floor action, they have more pull and possibly more incentive to really hear what you are saying.

But you have, have, have to be diplomatic and not come off as trying to get them fired. You need to sound like you really like your team but feel like morale is down and you've noticed that the ETL LOG can sometimes be unnecessarily harsh which has lead to people leaving or moving. You really need to sound positive and like you only want what's best for the store. You might even want to say that you totally get the LOGs are under a lot of pressure and that you work hard to meet goals but being treated like you aren't respected and talked down to is making it hard. You could say that perhaps the LOG doesn't even know how they come off but if they knew how bad morale is they could try a different approach and likely see better results with less stressing. Keep in mind the whole time that you need to sound rational and positive.

I know how our LOG is and I couldn't work under them for all these reasons!! Lol!! So all this is what I would say to my STL if I were in your situation.

I want to talk to my HR about how my LOG-ETL is treating me and how several people have moved to different areas or straight up quit because of them (these are facts, they told me before they quit or switched roles in the store...we kinda talk a lot behind our leaders backs) and how I love what I do at work but I would like to have a sit down together to just clear the animosity the LOG-ETL creates in the store. It literally kills all morale for a lot of people. I hate that we have to gossip behind their back and talk s-- about that ETL but it's a daily thing. We ALL have gripes. I know this is kinda typical with Logistics ETLs but this person is particularly unreasonable and breathes down everyone's necks...even our best workers. -_- Advice?

Edit: I know I can just request to talk to HR but our HR person seems like they would just side with whatever makes our store work better rather than changing a leaders behavior so I fear I have no recourse.
I know how our LOG is and I couldn't work under them for all these reasons!! Lol!! So all this is what I would say to my STL if I were in your situation.
Both of you must be at my old store and I sympathize with you. Most of our Logistics TLs/TMs left to escape our ETL-Log, who is of course is still there happily making the lives of the newbies miserable. Sorry to say talking to HR or calling the Hotline won’t help and will probably make things worse, they are both there to protect Spot and not you. ASANTS, but no one in upper leadership seems to care that some ETLs are toxic to the team. At this point there really is no recourse. Good luck, though, maybe they will be transferred...eventually...

Are you from my store?

If it weren’t for this closing spot, with the ETL log taking over hardlines, I’d probably leave. That’s how bad mine is.

ETL log: (sees a vehicle of leftover stuff from my ETL and I setting pogs) why is this here?
Me: ETL SF (my boss, and the lod yesterday) told me to leave those there for them to do tonight
ETL log: (while standing next to many empty vehicles) we can’t be leaving push or backstock, and I can’t have my vehicles tied up with rollover shit
Me: your peer, my boss, the lod literally directed me to leave this here for them to take care of tonight so I could tend to a more urgent task.
ETL log: sounds like an excuse to me. You need to take care of it immediately or I’ll have to document this discussion.
Me: on what grounds?
ETL log: failure to follow directions.
(while this is happening, STL texts me since I didn’t respond on walkie due to this debacle with the ETL log, so I fill him in 😝)
STL (on walkie): ETL log, go to 4.
STL: he’s following my instructions right now and not touching that tub.
STL: if you don’t like looking at that tub then either backstock it yourself or grow the fuck up.
ETL log: I was just telling him that he needs to make sure he’s completing his backstock and not leaving crap vehicles
STL: that was left there at my suggestion because I needed him to help with a guest issue. I’ll be in my office if you want to talk about it.
ETL log: copy.
Me: (on walkie) this is _________ heading on meal break!

I'd think hard about talking to ETL HR. They will definitely tell them who said what and it will directly impact your already bad relationship with the ETL LOG. Even if they know what you say is 100% true and agree there isn't much they can do since they are equals.

I think I'd talk with the STL. Being the boss of the ETLs, and often a bit removed from the floor action, they have more pull and possibly more incentive to really hear what you are saying.

But you have, have, have to be diplomatic and not come off as trying to get them fired. You need to sound like you really like your team but feel like morale is down and you've noticed that the ETL LOG can sometimes be unnecessarily harsh which has lead to people leaving or moving. You really need to sound positive and like you only want what's best for the store. You might even want to say that you totally get the LOGs are under a lot of pressure and that you work hard to meet goals but being treated like you aren't respected and talked down to is making it hard. You could say that perhaps the LOG doesn't even know how they come off but if they knew how bad morale is they could try a different approach and likely see better results with less stressing. Keep in mind the whole time that you need to sound rational and positive.

This is what pisses me off..they're about 5 years older than me with a degree...they seem to not know how to act in the real world as a mid 30's person.kinda just act like a frat boy in jest when he's shooting the shit but a total asshole when it comes to metrics and sales goals. Completely out of their territory if you ask me. They literally have no real world experience even though they'r mid 30s...the hell are we doing hiring these guys. -_- I'm not a genius by any means but G'damn.

Last edited:
Are you from my store?

If it weren’t for this closing spot, with the ETL log taking over hardlines, I’d probably leave. That’s how bad mine is.

ETL log: (sees a vehicle of leftover stuff from my ETL and I setting pogs) why is this here?
Me: ETL SF (my boss, and the lod yesterday) told me to leave those there for them to do tonight
ETL log: (while standing next to many empty vehicles) we can’t be leaving push or backstock, and I can’t have my vehicles tied up with rollover shit
Me: your peer, my boss, the lod literally directed me to leave this here for them to take care of tonight so I could tend to a more urgent task.
ETL log: sounds like an excuse to me. You need to take care of it immediately or I’ll have to document this discussion.
Me: on what grounds?
ETL log: failure to follow directions.
(while this is happening, STL texts me since I didn’t respond on walkie due to this debacle with the ETL log, so I fill him in 😝)
STL (on walkie): ETL log, go to 4.
STL: he’s following my instructions right now and not touching that tub.
STL: if you don’t like looking at that tub then either backstock it yourself or grow the fuck up.
ETL log: I was just telling him that he needs to make sure he’s completing his backstock and not leaving crap vehicles
STL: that was left there at my suggestion because I needed him to help with a guest issue. I’ll be in my office if you want to talk about it.
ETL log: copy.
Me: (on walkie) this is _________ heading on meal break!
holy shit thats worse than anything thats happened at my store in 5 years+ jesus

Both of you must be at my old store and I sympathize with you. Most of our Logistics TLs/TMs left to escape our ETL-Log, who is of course is still there happily making the lives of the newbies miserable. Sorry to say talking to HR or calling the Hotline won’t help and will probably make things worse, they are both there to protect Spot and not you. ASANTS, but no one in upper leadership seems to care that some ETLs are toxic to the team. At this point there really is no recourse. Good luck, though, maybe they will be transferred...eventually...
Overheard my LOG ETL say he'd rather have a good shitty job than a shitty job when talking to a vendor and he was referring to their current position lmfao they wont ever be shit

our LOG is about as mature as our youngest TMs in my opinion so I fear nothing will work but Im shooting myself in the foot letting em bully us all...really I don't know ONE person on our team who likes this person -_- I gotta do something and moving positions in the store is an anxiety hell hole which I do not want to dive into...I may get multiple TMs on board for a meeting one day...I know at LEAST 9 TMs who think our ETL breathes down our back super unnecessarily because we are some of the hardest workers. SIGH I don't understand beating down on the hard workers and leaving the lazy ones alone. Our whole store knows who the lazy ones are and they get the same hours as us and less responsibilities almost exclusively because they're slow and they NEVER have complaints about management. Yet our SERIOUSLY best workers are constantly told to go faster. Come the F*** on.

Edit: as far as diplomacy I fucking would never want my ETL to lose their job but I also want to come to work happy everyday but when I find out they're working the whole day is garbage because I get picked on over and over and over every time they work...they literally want most of us to quit I think...I want to cry just thinking about it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back