Archived General payroll rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it. There's no payroll. I get the drift.
I even know what to say/"why" and explain it to my team.

But #38 company in the Fortune 500 list, and you mean to say you're going to allow enough payroll for the store for ONE person in HL, ONE in electronics, ONE FR and ONE SL... All day on the sales floor.
K, cool thanks I'll just go push everything and do all the stray as the LOD.
We are Org chart C; super freaky BTS store.

Feel free to share your no payroll rants. :)

bc4dce245b629ee8b4f9bc7675782ae0.jpg

Patience. Winter is coming...The blackest of Fridays is right around the corner.
Followed by the lowest of payroll 5 weeks later.

My store's leadership have said "payroll is tight" all year. We tried to do some cross training in January but those shifts got cut entirely. We were told we would try again when payroll gets better. It's October and we're still not there. For the week we're writing, payroll is crazy low, like January/February low. We had one, maybe two weeks during back to school that were good. That's it. All year. We'll see a slight bump in November, but I'm pretty sure the only weeks we'll actually get decent payroll will be Black Friday through Christmas, and that's when we really really need more, but I'm sure they won't actually give us enough (but at least there will be more team members in the building at a time). That makes a grand total of 7 weeks with what used to be "normal" payroll, and the rest of the year is treated like it's the dead of winter when guests aren't shopping.

And the shittiest part about it? Leaders have to be thinking about those 7 weeks all year. That's what we have to prepare for, just those 7 weeks. Which means we need to be staffed/trained for it all year, which is why there are no hours to go around for the other 45 weeks of the year. What a mess of an industry.

we weren't making sells....AT ALL.....so we were not just short staffed, we were having to cut hours.....luckily we've been comping the past few weeks so our flex hours have been skyrocketing

I'm tired of dealing with payroll issues and having to constantly tell my team what goes on but to be honest, my department is pretty good with payroll, reason why hours go down in January and February is because I have a huge team and not enough hours to go around. I remember there was three months where softlines had 1 person in the day and evening and most likely than not they were the TLs.

I'm in a large store... Still had one for hl, one for sl, a PA, and an electronics. But somehow we had four cashiers this morning?

Mfw I'm told my biggest opportunity is team development.

How am I supposed to develop a team member I see once a week? There's no such thing as working side by side with anyone anymore because there's too much to get done and not enough payroll to do it.

But #38 company in the Fortune 500 list, and you mean to say you're going to allow enough payroll for the store for ONE person in HL, ONE in electronics, ONE FR and ONE SL... All day on the sales floor.

Even higher volumes store are looking that way nowadays. Super targets or pfresh or GM doesn't matter as the company trims payroll and we were a much higher volume store and got the same day time coverage with one closer in grocery, hardlines and softlines. Its sad how cheap target has gotten.

That sounds exactly like my AA volume..

I will be honest on this one, I have never seen payroll worse than it is now! We all thought, "Sure September is always bad, we just have to make it to October"... and then once we saw October payroll we were all shocked! It is just as bad as September!!! How the heck can we start seasonal hires in early October on almost nothing?

I will be honest on this one, I have never seen payroll worse than it is now! We all thought, "Sure September is always bad, we just have to make it to October"... and then once we saw October payroll we were all shocked! It is just as bad as September!!! How the heck can we start seasonal hires in early October on almost nothing?
You are so correct! I have not seen it this bad for hours. Then, we are having an hiring event of new folks.

And they wonder why good TMs are leaving (and yet retention is a metric). And guests are seeing lack of service, shelves not stocked so not shopping. But hey drive the red cards, that makes a shopper loyal, NOT. Good service and filled product makes a loyal shopper, driving sales.

And they wonder why good TMs are leaving (and yet retention is a metric). And guests are seeing lack of service, shelves not stocked so not shopping. But hey drive the red cards, that makes a shopper loyal, NOT. Good service and filled product makes a loyal shopper, driving sales.
Pretty sure retention is a focus BECAUSE of the hour cuts. Corporate knew payroll would look like this before the beginning of this year.

My store's been red for sales comp since before I started at this one. We've been consistently beating sales and actually comping up for the past few months and still have nothing to show for it. Store is manned by a skeleton crew 100% of the time... Myself, other team leads, and our senior team members are all growing tired of what Spot's making us do with the resources they're providing. Hell, I even had a candid conversation with my STL on how unrealistic it's become for our store to exude that "Target Brand" on the hours we have. It's getting hard to tell my team members that "Hours should be getting better (next month)" when I know and they know they sure as hell aren't.

We aren't training because we don't have the hours. It's pretty bad that we can't train cashiers, but we've got 2 TLs and a Sr TL who are waiting for training. That includes me!
Is the retention metric the reason we are allowing more loafing than I've seen in years? We are also rehiring TMs that were horrible before and are far worse now. It's as if getting rehired validated their poor performance and attendance. Now we also have smug arrogance. Why Target, why?

Canada was a loss. We have lost some guest due to the restroom issue.

Canada was a loss. We have lost some guest due to the restroom issue.

Canada was a huge loss. The bathroom issues was a zero sum.
Spot probably gained as many as they lost from people deciding that they were going to shop with Spot because of the LGBTQA support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back