Archived Get a Saturday off from target.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepare equipment for a fun day with your friends outdoors.......Get called in to target............I just can't win.

Still doesn't make a difference. As long as you're showing up for your scheduled shifts on time and performing well, you'll be okay. Even if you're under your 90 days, they can't force you to work a shift you weren't originally scheduled for.

Another cashier told me that they do this to test you during your 90 days, and let you go on day(s) 85-90 if you dont show up. Not sure if they were full of it or not.

Last edited:
They most likely are full of it. Although it's possible that the executives at your store do this, it is by no means Target policy. If any leader ever makes you think that your employment is contingent on you coming in for a shift you weren't originally scheduled for, go to HR, then your Store Team Leader (if HR is pulling the same crap).

If you're ever concerned about what your leaders think of your performance, ask to "status" with them (you may get bonus points for being a newbie and using that word, btw). Think of a couple of questions/concerns you have beforehand, and bring them up to your Team Leader. That's the best way to find out where you stand with them, and it'll show that you are committed to sticking around past 90 days, even if you aren't always willing to pick up those extra shifts.

if you never come in, yeah, it will look bad. but, they can't fire you for not picking up a shift. if they call you and you always say yes, that is great. they will like you a lot, and call you first for shifts and you can probably get up to 40hours if you want. but if you have plans, you do not have to cancel them. you can pick up, and say, i'm sorry i would love to, but i already have plans. or simply, not pick up. really, target is not going to call you for any other reason that to come in. if you know you don't want to go in, just don't pick up. its not the end of the world. and believe me, most people won't even pick up. so yes, it is in your best interest to come in, but will you be fired for turning down one shift? no.

if you never come in, yeah, it will look bad. but, they can't fire you for not picking up a shift. if they call you and you always say yes, that is great. they will like you a lot, and call you first for shifts and you can probably get up to 40hours if you want. but if you have plans, you do not have to cancel them. you can pick up, and say, i'm sorry i would love to, but i already have plans. or simply, not pick up. really, target is not going to call you for any other reason that to come in. if you know you don't want to go in, just don't pick up. its not the end of the world. and believe me, most people won't even pick up. so yes, it is in your best interest to come in, but will you be fired for turning down one shift? no.

It's just that they called me in 3 times already, and I've only been there 2 weeks..

It's very annoying.

It's just that they called me in 3 times already, and I've only been there 2 weeks..

It's very annoying.

especially if you're a cashier, you will get called a lot. i assume you've said yes the other two times? imagine you are the hr/clerical tm or whomever is trying to fill those shifts. are you going to call the cashiers who never answer and never say yes? perhaps. but maybe you might want to call that other cashier who always answers and usually says yes. so, that's what's going to happen. or maybe they called everyone else, and they just didn't get a response until you. they went down the list. it doesn't matter. say yes when you can, say no if you can't. its a part of the job. when i first started the same thing would happen to me. i even had ETLs personally asking me to come in for extra shifts. i almost always said yes, and felt really bad if i said no. you're not letting them down. its a part of working retail. if they can't handle you saying no, they have much bigger problems to worry about than covering a cashier shift.

If I already have plans, I just say sorry I'm out of town and had plans already or that I'm at the beach or something and can't make it. They are always understanding... for me atleast.

I tend not to even answer my phone. Listening to music or playing games, it's not uncommon for me to have my headphones on and just not hear my phone. At the same time, if I don't want to come in on an off day, I do have most of my contacts set up with their own ringtone so I know whether or not I want to answer it without even looking at my phone.

I feel you, it was so bad in our store that the Sales Floor LOD kept saying "everybody stop what your doing and go up to the front lanes"

Yes if u do work on the weekends, I feel for you. You get more hours but the pain and suffering :p

ive had a few times they called me to come in, but i was already scheduled to work that day anyway "sorry i uhhhh already work for you at about that same time..."

ive had a few times they called me to come in, but i was already scheduled to work that day anyway "sorry i uhhhh already work for you at about that same time..."

I've made that goof before, when calling people in. That and "Uh, I called in sick for my shift today."

On Friday when I pulled 1 of 2 double shifts I had this week during my 2nd shift of the day after working 4am to 10am I worked 1pm to 930pm when I was on break I noticed I had a miss call & a voicemail I looked at it it was my store then I listended to the vm it was the LOD calling me to see if I wanted to come in and work i just laughed I was like wait I'm already working as it is

it isn't the end of the world if u don't come in when they ask you too. just keep in mind that saying yes, and being really flexible will get you places

They most likely are full of it. Although it's possible that the executives at your store do this, it is by no means Target policy. If any leader ever makes you think that your employment is contingent on you coming in for a shift you weren't originally scheduled for, go to HR, then your Store Team Leader (if HR is pulling the same crap).

If you're ever concerned about what your leaders think of your performance, ask to "status" with them (you may get bonus points for being a newbie and using that word, btw). Think of a couple of questions/concerns you have beforehand, and bring them up to your Team Leader. That's the best way to find out where you stand with them, and it'll show that you are committed to sticking around past 90 days, even if you aren't always willing to pick up those extra shifts.

i'd tell em to go status themselves!!!

I've received calls asking me to come in when I was climbing a mountain at around 10,000ft.

I was shocked that I got a signal. I was even more shocked when I told them it would take me a few hours to climb down and get there but they still wanted me there.

I've received calls asking me to come in when I was climbing a mountain at around 10,000ft.

I was shocked that I got a signal. I was even more shocked when I told them it would take me a few hours to climb down and get there but they still wanted me there.
I would get the same calls while on the Appalachian Trail 5 miles from my car, and I would tell them that...and they would still ask if I can make it to the store within an hour.

It would be an 3-5 hour walk back. 1 hour drive back to my old apartment. 30 minutes to shower, clean up and change clothes. Then a 15 minute drive to my store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back