Archived Getting coached for overtime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work overnight backroom and since the busy season has started I have been enjoying the paychecks from my 45-50 hr weeks. But it has been confusing since the ETL and TLs have been going back and forth between "watch your OT hours" and not caring or saying everything is approved. I know these can switch back and forth each week depending on sales and payroll but it has been rather frustrating keeping track of the constant changes.

Anyway, now that the Holidays are over and the nightly truck size has been cut in half we have been told in the huddle that there is absolutely no more overtime allowed. But they went even further in saying the other night that TMs who go into OT will be coached! I know they have a lot of TMs and keeping track of everyone can be hard...but still! It shouldn't be my fault what you schedule me for 38-40 hours a week and then always want me to stay longer then my shift (which I am always going to be more then happy to do because I hate leaving if we haven't come clean.) I try to make sure I let them know but when 7:30 am comes they always like to forget. My question is, can they really coach me? I have a completely clean record and don't feel like getting in trouble for what they have me work is fair.

Yea they can coach you and they did warn you they would but that means they should keep track and warn you if you are going over.
However, it behooves you to ask.
Just check with the HRTM about your fourth day and than let your TL know you'll have to leave early on whatever your last day of the week is, that should make them smile.

I guess your right commiecorvus, they do warn. We do have a list posted, not by the clock but further down the hall. The problem is they don't update it as they should so I just keep counting hours. I do remind the TL throughout the week if I'm scheduled 40 hours that I need to leave on time, leaving on time just never happens. I guess that's why I am frustrated that I would get in trouble for it. I try to stay responsible on my end. At the end of every shift they will say "we will just send you home early another day" but then they get upset when Friday finally comes and I have to bounce around lunch break. What usually also happens is they tell me to come in at midnight on Saturday (when the clock resets) which I HATE because it puts me behind on what I need to get done, especially if I am doing electronics dept. that night instead of backroom.

you can check on the timeclock too. by using the team member butoon the bottom left of the clock.
it will you tell 2 things:
1. last punch on the clock
2. your hours clocked in for the week.
on ehr, under max to weekly or monthly, is another way to check too.

Sounds like you're doing everything YOU can but your leadership is too lazy to plan & cuts corners instead (midnight start times).

More confusing schedule issues: I am scheduled for 52 hours next week...no overtime allowed. WTH? What time dimension does HR think I live in?

I'd bring that to somebody's attention REAL quick.

Reactions: NOP
What's that? You like doing your job and are willing to work more than most people in order to get tasks done? Oh, and we scheduled you for that many hours?

loljk, you're in trouble. don't work that hard!

^This. One of the start/end times was probably mixed up on AM/PM.

^This. One of the start/end times was probably mixed up on AM/PM.

Nope, I just got scheduled for 6 days next week + my shift overflow. Since I work overnight that's what I call the shift that starts Saturday but spills into next week's hours at midnight. One would think that since the store has always had a night shift HR would have learned to look at the previous week's Saturday nights when making following week's schedule. But I run into the shift overflow turning into scheduled overtime at least once a month.

Anyway, I talked to my ETL about it and he's not letting me give up a shift, he said he will just cut me loose a little early each night. I am use to working 6-8 days in a low before getting a day off but it would be nice to have more then one day off a week sometimes. I know I shouldn't complain though, with the new truck unload time starting in a couple weeks none of us are going to get enough hours anymore.

yes you can get coached for overtime. one of our TLs was reamed out by our STL for getting one minute of OT. Don't get me started on the compliance issues either. They have it now where people live in fear of the timeclock...we all have to punch in and out on time...not out by 5 minutes after your shift ends...coaching. I've been lucky to avoid running into this because I watch my time, but some of my peers haven't. Flow team gets special treatment, however.

Last edited:
yes you can get coached for overtime. one of our TLs was reamed out by our STL for getting one minute of OT. Don't get me started on the compliance issues either. They have it now where people live in fear of the timeclock...we all have to punch in and out on time...not out by 5 minutes after your shift ends...coaching. I've been lucky to avoid running into this because I watch my time, but some of my peers haven't. Flow team gets special treatment, however.

Wow! I would definitely say flow/overnight BR get special treatment then. I don't know if they are strict at my store for the daytimers but we us Target Vampires are begged to stay late to get the work done almost every morning.

Most good STLs know if the logistics process is broken the entire store is broken. They will do everything to keep that process green so if it involved some OT than so be it!

Most good STLs know if the logistics process is broken the entire store is broken. They will do everything to keep that process green so if it involved some OT than so be it!

I wish my new STL would realize this, instead they tell us Friday night a an hour or 2 of overtime is ok...yeah let me get right on staying an extra 3 hours the last night of the week so I can get an extra 17 dollars on my check...(We are scheduled 38 hrs a week)

It's because of the trickle down theory (or so I was told). My ETL said that when TM's do overtime it *dings* in corporate. Corporate then calls the store to talk to the STL about OT hours and if the STL has a reason then okay; but if not, the STL gets on the ETL and the ETL then passes that irritation on down the line to the TM. Again, this is simply what I was told. I can't vouch for it. So, you should always make ETL/LOD/HR are aware if you're going to hit OT and get authorization to do OT before actually doing it.

Overtime, like meals compliance is your responsibility, even though your supervisors are often the ones who screw it up. It is your job to monitor the hours they scheduled you for.

So here is my question about overtime. This week I am scheduled for 40 hours. I can handle clocking in exactly when my shift starts instead of a few minutes early like I usually do, but considering I have been closing a lot this week, I don't always clock out exactly on time, and have been a couple minutes late. I close again 2 more times this week and open once. How do I avoid going into OT? I can't really leave early on a closing shift. And we have been running around like nuts lately trying to get things done, so I'm not sure they will want me to leave early the day that I open. So confusing...

Check your hours with support ninja at TLC.
They should be able to tell you how far over you are.
On Friday you can either just go home that much earlier or if that would make you TL cranky take a longer lunch break.

at my store we have unequal overtime policies, but basically here's how it works: if you're earning less than $10/hr after shift differential then they don't care about your overtime, even if you work 50+ hours for weeks in a row. if you earn more than that, and you get more than half an hour of overtime you will get coached. but thats only on the overnight shift. On dayside, it seems the people who get paid the most (produce assistants, backroom day, Team Leads) can get all the overtime they want when its "available" (whatever that means). With all that being said, overnight shift during fourth quarter never gets their overtime looked at (even for one guy earning $15 an hour), and the "lowly" dayside people (regualr cashiers, regular salesfloor TMs) can't even work 1 minute over their scheduled shift without getting coached, even if they're only scheduled 5 hours for that week.

Just the other day, our backroom TL was going around telling everybody to cut overtime (the first time in 9 months that this had happened), at the same time, our POG TL admitted to everybody that she was working 50 hours that week. My guess is overtime is one of those things that gets looked at only when someone big is coming through.

So here is my question about overtime. This week I am scheduled for 40 hours. I can handle clocking in exactly when my shift starts instead of a few minutes early like I usually do, but considering I have been closing a lot this week, I don't always clock out exactly on time, and have been a couple minutes late. I close again 2 more times this week and open once. How do I avoid going into OT? I can't really leave early on a closing shift. And we have been running around like nuts lately trying to get things done, so I'm not sure they will want me to leave early the day that I open. So confusing...

Take a little longer on your half (2 minutes each day). Let ETL-HR know you are doing this intentionally so that you don't go into overtime. You don't really get dinged for taking a long half, if you take an extra 10 minutes every day eventually someone will complain, but an extra 1-2 minutes never gets mentioned. This is in my experience though, it could be different at other stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back