Getting fired over a Ps5

I think his reasoning was that you’re not supposed to buy high demand items unless you’re off the clock, thus the “buy it if you’re on lunch”. But the only issue is that PS5s are restricted to online sales only. He should’ve known this, and frankly I think he did know this because TLs are well kept up to date about policy.

I don't think it's just that. Let's say it's not online only. They messed up by buying a high demand item while the store is closed, obviously this doesn't give guest a chance to buy it first. I think the TL just doesn't understand the policy clearly. Yes you can buy high demand stuff on your break and lunches, but must give 15-30 from store opening to purchase it if I remember correctly.

...but it's just right there, on MyDay, always. I glance at it out of curiosity just as I'm walking to the backroom every morning. It's not like it's a book report assignment every week for a class. Skimming the tab every once in awhile for interesting info isn't a crazy expectation. Less work and more relevant than looking at sales info on MPM every day, imo.

You'd have just the same chance to stumble across the available listing while on break/off the clock as a guest so I'd suppose it's free game. Like, the app doesn't update in real time. Plus with the consoles they're staggering the availability so just 'cause it comes in on the truck doesn't mean it'll be available asap or even that day for pickup.

Here is the thing , you don’t need to sit at the computer to see this communication. Everyone gets a zebra when they clock in , they use that zebra for everything and with a simply click to the tools they would have seen it. When I was a Tl as I would walk to receiving to set the line I would check my email , monthly planner and what not . There’s means to every way if you care enough to be informed . The situation is shitty but no one can excuse buying a ps5 at self checkout before store opening with a bag a chips and a Gatorade.
I seriously never noticed an info tab. Will have to check it out tomorrow. No one at my store even told me about MyDay - as usual, I only knew about because of this forum.

I love Target but holy shit their communication is just awful.

As for OP, that TL certainly deserved to be fired. I can't see how they did not know the policy. The TMs should've only gotten a coaching unless it could be proven that they knew the policy as well.

Just a reminder.
No name calling.

Behave like grownups.

Don't make me stop this car.

ScornfulWanCleanerwrasse-size_restricted.gif

It’s just good in general to check the communication tab on the myDay app every once in a while, stay in the loop about things you may need to know.

Honest question, not sarcasm, have the available supply of zebras increased tremendously in the last 18 months? When I left there were enough for maybe one person out of two, and dead batteries were a problem since the lack of zebras meant they were handed between shifts all day with no recharging.
We have 100 zebras

And I didn’t make the excuse of buying a ps5 over food. But good try.
You did say because you work overnight you always use self checkout to buy food and what not when store is closed because it’s something that it’s allowed correct? What I’m trying to say is that common sense should have kicked in and realize that a high demand item , bought during closing business would bring some problems . And you mentioned that you were working in SFS , I think anyone in sfs knows that policy because it is mainly for them to pick.

I love Target but holy shit their communication is just awful.

As for OP, that TL certainly deserved to be fired. I can't see how they did not know the policy. The TMs should've only gotten a coaching unless it could be proven that they knew the policy as well.
How true. ASANTS, but Spot does have the worst communication imaginable, and the stress and chaos of the holiday season doesn’t make it any better.
Since the TL said they could buy the Ps5s, the TMs shouldn’t have been fired. TMs are supposed to be able to trust what their leaders tell them. It’s not like the TMs tried to pull a fast one by asking for permission, the TL announced it on the walkie no less for everyone to hear! If leadership doesn’t know what the rules are, it’s unlikely that every last TMs will know, either. The SD doesn't appear to know the rules either, telling them to bring back the Ps5s or be fired, then firing them anyway. Either she didn’t know what would happen, and should have, or just pulled an asshat move to save herself. Either way that store sounds like the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing from the top on down...🙄

We now have communication printed out and wallpapering TSC. Its funny how there is people screaming about the lack of communication from Spot, on here, and all of a sudden it is loud and clear. I guess a few too many got fired.

Imagine not making them put it in writing that you won't be fired if you return it and believing them/taking them at their word. Oof

Honestly everyone is just now attacking each other. You have people who came in here with lack or knowledge/lack of reading and attacking this person for no reason. They legit explained the situation and you guys are just bored in life and result to coming on here to pass your free time. It’s kinda sad tbh. You have trust in your TL’s and that’s why they’re a TL. Why would I question my TL’s actions and not grab a ps5? I would believe they know better than me. It was simply lack of communication. End of story. Not all targets are the same so people who are comparing their situations or why this shouldn’t have happened is irrelevant.

Have a brain in your head or some sense of ethics, or have a good ability to weigh a PS5 against a paying job? "My TL said it was ok!" When you see people, even in upper management, acting unethically, the idea isn't to go along with it-- the idea is to speak up to HR/management to note the wrongdoing, not participate in it. No, I don't want to read 8 pages of this crybaby. He weighed cost against risk, and he got paid in full, just what he deserved.

I really want to know what this TL was thinking. I just can't imagine that they believed this was ok. I also wonder how the crap hit the fan so quickly. Who told whom first? How did the SD find out? I want more details, lol.

I really want to know what this TL was thinking. I just can't imagine that they believed this was ok. I also wonder how the crap hit the fan so quickly. Who told whom first? How did the SD find out? I want more details, lol.
Ap found out & told stl, I think.

I'm guessing that they do this all the time and someone on the team either hated that TL or wanted to be a TL themselves and the PS5 gave them a way.

Have a brain in your head or some sense of ethics, or have a good ability to weigh a PS5 against a paying job? "My TL said it was ok!" When you see people, even in upper management, acting unethically, the idea isn't to go along with it-- the idea is to speak up to HR/management to note the wrongdoing, not participate in it. No, I don't want to read 8 pages of this crybaby. He weighed cost against risk, and he got paid in full, just what he deserved.
Again though, it goes back to never believing your supervisor. If you were a supervisor, would you appreciate the advice being to not listen to you at all and to go around you, simply because you aren't the right type of supervisor?

As far as unethical goes, that is a gray area for this situation. Yes, they were bought when not on sale to the general public. Yes, special sales to select groups happen all the time and those are never unethical, they are simply "sucks to be you." If the price was played with, that would be unethical. The sale simply happening at the same price it would be 4 hours later? That is not something that would normally ping the ethical meter. The SD's lie of return it and save your job seems far more unethical than a legal financial transaction happening at full price.

Again though, it goes back to never believing your supervisor. If you were a supervisor, would you appreciate the advice being to not listen to you at all and to go around you, simply because you aren't the right type of supervisor?

As far as unethical goes, that is a gray area for this situation. Yes, they were bought when not on sale to the general public. Yes, special sales to select groups happen all the time and those are never unethical, they are simply "sucks to be you." If the price was played with, that would be unethical. The sale simply happening at the same price it would be 4 hours later? That is not something that would normally ping the ethical meter. The SD's lie of return it and save your job seems far more unethical than a legal financial transaction happening at full price.
It was against Target policy. It was done in violation of corporate directive. Pretty straightforward.

I tend to think OP knew that, or at least knew that it could be case, because they state they asked the TL if they were sure it was OK.

I just want to know why the TL thought it was OK. I mean, did they tell AP they didn't know? Did they confess? Was this deliberate or an honest mistake? Someone dropped the ball somewhere.

Last edited:
Back