Archived Getting More Redcard Strategy (fishy strategy, should i?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

So I recently started working at Target as a cashier, its been fun so far but I have a question about opening redcards.

So I wasn't hitting goals but I talked with a GSTL (may have been a gsa, still can't tell them apart lol), and he told me that when foriengers approach me,
I should be telling them to put in 000-00-0000 for social security to push the redcard application through. So far he says that other team members are doing it and it's helping reach goals, we are plus 10 or so for the year.

I don't know if I should be telling customers this, I don't want to lose my job and I'm just really confused. I don't know if I should report that leader, most of the team hates him anyways but I don't want to be that guy.

I'll do it if its not illegal I just don't want to get in trouble with the law or work.

Thanks for your help guys

Report it and do not under any circumstances do it. Let this person get themselves termed for fraud, don’t let them take you down with them.

A store can get dinged hard for knowingly providing false information or incomplete card applications.

The methods you should be trying are...
1. Present the saving amount to the guest at final total.
2. "Will this be on your Red Card today..." at the first of the transaction.
3. Give a 1-2 extra tries when a guest has a high dollar purchase.
4. You MUST present the Red Card to every guest.

We had a GSTL & an ETL termed for this.
As others have said, do NOT do this.

LOLOL funny GSA/GSTL telling you some dumb shts my GSTL and ETL GE don't even care about the goals all they care is guest happiness and sales.

I'm glad you felt that was wrong and fishy. Most cashiers don't care enough to actually do it, but I've been told other cashiers at my store do that as well. Just sad, really.

It's even sadder Target hires cashiers that don't know how to do a sales pitch or pitch the redcard. I know for a fact in my interview, my ETL-hr said I absolutely had to be okay with pitching Redcards, and I was. I just wonder why so many shitty cashiers stay on even though they've gotten zero redcards in two months, and just to get redcards resort to fraud.

When I was in orientation they never said shit about fraud or other AP related stuff, which I remember thinking was odd because it seems like something they would bring up even if it's obvious. I've asked around and confirmed from our recent hires that it was never brought up with them either. Made me realize it's probably an intentional ploy to get new hires, especially the younger ones who are hired on here as their first job, thinking that all those joocy abandoned gift cards are free for the taking. Fucking lol.

It's even sadder Target hires cashiers that don't know how to do a sales pitch or pitch the redcard. I know for a fact in my interview, my ETL-hr said I absolutely had to be okay with pitching Redcards, and I was. I just wonder why so many shitty cashiers stay on even though they've gotten zero redcards in two months, and just to get redcards resort to fraud.

I’ve gotten maybe 5 redcard sign ups the entire time I’ve worked for Target, and I was strictly a cashier for a lot of that time. Not getting redcard sign ups doesn’t make you a shitty cashier, and cashiering at Target isn’t a sales job.

Just remember, OP: if you follow their advice & get caught, they will throw you under the bus & deny telling you anything else.

cac.jpg

I had a very, very short shit retail job, averaged 20 hours a week. We had a plain rewards card program, and the couple months I was there I signed about 90 people up a month. When they stuck me at the cash register yet again (technically not what I was hired for) I'd look at the number of pamphlets and say that's not enough, they wouldn't give me more and every single day I'd go through those and most of all the other registers. Some days all the registers and they would have to dig more out of the office. 80ish hours a month, 90ish signups.

Red cards? No problem, if I could manage that, I can easily manage to sell red cards on a consistent basis. Nope. I can talk a woman who didn't even have a baby into buying $50 in diapers and a multipack of wipes to boot, but I can't sell a red card.

Because a rewards program doesn't cost them anything. No credit check, minimal to no personal information, no bills showing up later.

I'm great at promoting Cartwheel/ Target app, I'll have 5 minute long conversations talking about it, helping them get the app set up and running when I know they have an item (or multiples) with offers so they can save that extra money.

I stumble over RedCard because I have a hard time getting past that financial hurdle that so many guests have. And I get it. I know way too many people - including myself - whose credit was absolutely trashed just trying to survive the recession in 2008-09. And maybe they've already tried and were rejected. Or they tried applying to something else and were rejected. I've also had a lot of guests tell me that they were victimized in the data breach about 5 years ago. I would guess I've gotten a dozen or fewer sign ups in my entire tenure with Spot, and I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary soon.

I'm glad you felt that was wrong and fishy. Most cashiers don't care enough to actually do it, but I've been told other cashiers at my store do that as well. Just sad, really.

In my store, they get promoted to GSA. Lol

I mean and can you blame the person who only wants/has one credit card because of those same reasons? I'm like, "good for you!" because getting out of the financial hole/credit basement is hell. The idea of credit is so attractive but such a slippery slope. And as I've said before, I'm not sure the debit card is much better because of the whole batch processing bit.

I've tried hyping up the debit version, saying "If you don't want another credit card" and pointing out no fees, no interest. On the sales floor I've gotten people interested, I can see it on their face, but most people say they will either think about it or sign up at home. Very few say they will run to a register to sign up that day and I doubt that half of them actually choose to at the register. At the register, nope, not even a nibble. I've also estimated the savings for that trip, the only time that worked was for the woman buying $400 in home furnishings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back