Archived Getting stung by walkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antivibe

Salesfloor TL
So does anyone's store have walkies without the plastic casing around the antenna? It seems that 90% of our walkies are in that condition.
Team members keep on complaining about getting shocked/burned by the exposed antenna. It's more of annoyance than anything, it's just a sting that lasts for less than two seconds.

Just wondering if anyone on here is also in the same situation? We've been wrapping tape around the antenna to prevent the stinging.
How difficult is it to replace these things? I thought you could just send the broken walkie and get sent a new/refurbished one.
My store isn't really good at handling equipment. We've just recently started cracking down on PDAs.

Yes! Our walkies used to be fine, but all of a sudden, the antennas are all exposed. I wondered what people had been doing to them! One of my LODs said they don't fix them, they just get tossed and the store has to order new ones. I haven't gotten shocked yet, and I like playing with the exposed wire if I'm unlucky enough to get one of those. Other TMs think I'm crazy and must have been shocked completely out of my mind once or twice.

This is brought to you by the same people who tried to tell soft lines they couldn't have a fan in the fitting room area because it would be a safety risk, but have no problems exposing us to live wires to be zapped.

And they can only be ordered by the box. A box comes with 6 and costs over $400. So, they're kinda reluctant to order them until it gets really bad.

Yeah they do burn. We had that problem too. It's actually a safety hazard so new ones should be ordered per BP.

Yeah they do burn. We had that problem too. It's actually a safety hazard so new ones should be ordered per BP.
Except STLs can be reluctant to spend that kind of money. Why don't they cost less considering every store needs them!?

Most of ours are like this now. Cut a piece of straw from FA or Starbucks. They cover the springie thing perfectly and are tight enough that they won't fall off.

Interesting, I might try this out.

Yo. Get your SFT to pickup Electrical Tape and Cover all the exposed antennas with it. It'll competently null the shocks.. At my last store, my own Walkie, and countless others slowly arrived to this point. Tons of Tape Job Walkies Everywhere....

Except STLs can be reluctant to spend that kind of money. Why don't they cost less considering every store needs them!?

We ordered about 20 or so last Fall. My etl Ge ordered it, and contacted store operations and got the okay on it. It's easier to justify them in Q4, so equipment captains should push for them then :)

There $236 a piece. Also, if one needs a additional AP Walkie. One can follow the dock programming instructions, and transfer the settings of the AP Walkie to a Red-Reqular one. I think the instructions are still on workbench.

And Holy S*** These should NEVER be Thrown Away. NEVER. There super EXPENSIVE, AND SHOULD TRY TO BE SAVED. Seriously, there are countless in-need TM's needing walkies.

We recycled some of the really bad ones. You dont throw them away btw, supposed to CRC them.

We had one like that, but for the most part they're all okay at my store. What's worse is getting a walkie without a clip.

Ours without the black rubber on the antennae now have some clear rubber thing on it....it's not tape, though, because it's REALLY flexible???

Most of ours are like this now. Cut a piece of straw from FA or Starbucks. They cover the springie thing perfectly and are tight enough that they won't fall off.

So THAT'S where my straws have been disappearing to....

Ha, yeah. Sorry about that! It was actually our mobile guy who started this trend. We taped for awhile, but people would always pull the tape off during their shift.

i'd be careful with taking the straws from FA or SB ... we had people get fired over stuff like that.... just saying

I'm a licensed radio operator, and what your feeling is a sensation that I am very familiar with called RF burn, caused by the RF energy being absorbed by your skin rather than dispersed into the open air. Luckily those walkies are no more than 5W or less, I've had the misfortune to grab a full size antenna while it was transmitting 65W! Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back