Archived Gift card and team member discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would it flag? How would they know you bought it?

They can track transactions on giftcards very easily. They can see what payment method was used originally when you bought it and what you spent it on. When you use a TM discount you're making it even easier for them to trace it back to you.

These kinds of transaction are flagged automatically by the system and then your AP is supposed to review it and follow up.

Hopefully that one team member who did this gets caught by AP. She came through my lane, bought a $100 gift card with a non-Target gift card and then bought a lot of other items using her team member discount. She was a real pain in the ass about it when I asked my GSTL to step in. She seemed to be chummy with the GSTL, maybe that's why they let them do it?

Hopefully that one team member who did this gets caught by AP. She came through my lane, bought a $100 gift card with a non-Target gift card and then bought a lot of other items using her team member discount. She was a real pain in the ass about it when I asked my GSTL to step in. She seemed to be chummy with the GSTL, maybe that's why they let them do it?
Tell AP or call integrity line if you want. Do not complete the transaction if you don’t feel comfortable

They can track transactions on giftcards very easily. They can see what payment method was used originally when you bought it and what you spent it on. When you use a TM discount you're making it even easier for them to trace it back to you.

These kinds of transaction are flagged automatically by the system and then your AP is supposed to review it and follow up.

What if the Target g/c isn't purchased at Target?

Tell AP or call integrity line if you want. Do not complete the transaction if you don’t feel comfortable
Thank you Amanda. I will follow up by either calling the integrity line or AP ASAP and tell them about what happened. Usually, I just try to let it go if a guest is rude to me, but combined with the fact that she was a team member breaking the rules of the team member discount, I think it's best to report this.

I never heard shit about the discount/giftcard policy, did it about 10 times until I read on TBR that it's verboten. Still shook.

But yeah, it is dumb as hell that they restrict the discount to certain forms of payment. Who the fuck else does this? The RC debit card sucks...takes forever to process through my bank

You should definitely report it to cover your own ass and then going forward refuse to do something like that. If your GSTL wants to okay it then let him/her doing it under their own number.

I never heard shit about the discount/giftcard policy, did it about 10 times until I read on TBR that it's verboten. Still shook.

But yeah, it is dumb as hell that they restrict the discount to certain forms of payment. Who the fuck else does this? The RC debit card sucks...takes forever to process through my bank

Actually almost every retailer has a similar policy. Saves the company the card processing fee charged by outside credit companies which protects profit margin on an employee purchase.

You should definitely report it to cover your own ass and then going forward refuse to do something like that. If your GSTL wants to okay it then let him/her doing it under their own number.
THIS! Whenever a GSTL tells me to do something that is against policy and i don’t feel comfortable doing it I log out. I am not taking blame for something that wasn’t my fault

This is one if those things I had no idea was against policy until I joined this site.

Seconded with not knowing this was policy until coming here, which made me glad I never did it. Many do it at my store although not so much anymore. One of our TPS guys would always do it. Haven’t seen him do it in awhile, but he still works here.

I wasn't aware of this policy until now. I vaguely remember team members in my store doing this at my register, but I've never been spoken to about this, so I guess redeye58 is right in that anything suspicious about a tm discount will fall on the team member using the discount.

It would fall on the TM using the discount and the TM ringing them up. Since it's in the handbook expectations are that you know the policies. Claiming ignorance can only get you so far. At best they would issue correctives for all parties involved but no one's getting off scott free.

The RC debit card sucks...takes forever to process through my bank

I consider this to be a feature rather than a bug. Especially those (thankfully rare) times when all the bills come out of one check and the groceries need getting a couple days before payday.

They hit the discount policy pretty hard during orientation. I'm trying to remember what the discount policy was before the RC showed up. Back in those days debit cards weren't even as much a thing as they are now, so was it just cash?

I consider this to be a feature rather than a bug. Especially those (thankfully rare) times when all the bills come out of one check and the groceries need getting a couple days before payday.

It's tricky. Basically Target is submitting the charges as a check. Of course, checks usually take 3 bank business days to cash, but not always. I've noticed that if I buy anything on a Friday it comes out Wednesday, as expected, but if I buy something on a Thursday morning it comes out Friday.

I'm old enough to remember checkbook balancing and not being able to see your account balance for an entire month, so I haven't had any issues with overdrafts. The "kids" though, the 25 and under crowd, I'm not sure they understand why there's a delay and to take into account the outstanding funds when figuring out what they actually have in the bank when they check their account online.

I would much prefer an instantaneous withdrawal powered by the magic of 2018 technology. My bank card works this way and it's so nice: pull up account balance on my phone, buy something, get a text message with transaction amount and remaining balance. Working at a bank before computers were invented must have been such a harrowing experience.

Working at a bank before computers were invented must have been such a harrowing experience.
Lol, I'm not that old. There were computers, but for the customer (not the bank workers) there was no such thing as online banking. This was a little before AOL came out (which was intranet, not internet, so no way to interact directly with the bank's computers), but close enough to present that the average consumer was just making the switch from Commodore 64/TRS-80 to DOS based computers.

Lol, I'm not that old. There were computers, but for the customer (not the bank workers) there was no such thing as online banking. This was a little before AOL came out (which was intranet, not internet, so no way to interact directly with the bank's computers), but close enough to present that the average consumer was just making the switch from Commodore 64/TRS-80 to DOS based computers.

:p I meant like back at the turn of the 20th century and prior, when banks had to employ legions of accountants with mechanical adding machines to process each transaction on paper, by hand. Imagine how nightmarish it would've been in those days, especially when the instability of metal-backed currency made bank runs much more frequent and you're facing a huge mob of panicked customers trying to fight their way in. No FDIC insurance so if your money disappears you're utterly screwed. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back