Archived Gift card and team member discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragronak8er97

“Save money. Live better.”
I went to my target location to buy some things and was on a budget, I rang my items in at the self checkout and seen how much it came to a little over what I had on my debit card. I scanned my TM discount card and it was under what I could spend so I figured since I couldn't use my debit card with the discount I would just by a gift card for the balance and call it a day.

As I'm buying the gift card one of my leaders (whose also off the clock on her way home) comes over and says what your doing is illegal and I'll let it slide since I guess you didn't know.

I honestly didn't know but was confused because I've done this on several occasion with the recommendation from a fellow team member who works the front end.

Is this true? I mean target is getting their right full money regardless. I feel they should tell us this during orientation

Pesky policies

It's not illegal but yes it is against target policy. Its a stupid policy and I've only enforced it one time but this TM kept populating on TVS meta data searches and my etl got annoyed so I just told the person to stop. Yes it's dumb and a waste of time to enforce it but it is enforceable

You can use your discount with a gift card but you can't buy a gift card just to use your discount. Dumb, I know.

Our HR drills it in during orientation & encourages new TMs to sign up for a redcard or checkcard.
I remember a TL who reloaded a giftcard over & over with his debit for that very loophole until the STL made it known that it was NOT acceptable & would result in a final or termination.
Just know that ANY time you use your discount, it can be tracked & anything dubious will be on YOU.

Just use cash or get the debit red card. Target doesn't want you to use the discount on a non target card, people used to circumvent this by buying a gift card so Target changed their policy.

Can we just discuss how backwards it is we can only use our crappy 10% discount with certain kinds of payment methods
I only ever use my redcard, gotta save that extra 5%! 15 (technically 14.5 I know) percent isn't that bad.

Oh yeah I do that too but I've heard like LuLu Lemon employees get 60% off, Michaels employees get 30% off, etc
Well yeah but they don't sell expensive electronics like target. Plus we do get the bonus 20% off c9 and simply balanced

i'm pretty sure all of my leaders do it......
one of my ETLs suggested i do it too since i didn't wanna use my redcard.

Target has to pay a fee if you use a bank card. If you want to use your debit card, go to the ATM and get out cash.

Was just going to say this. The reason why you can only use cash, redcards and checks and giftcards is because whenever your debit/credit card is swiped the company charges a fee ranging from 1%-4%. This is one of the ways Target is able to offer the 5% discount for redcard holders and another way that credit card companies are able to offer points or rewards. Another thing most people don't know is that sometimes they charge an excess fee if the card is hand keyed in instead of being swiped. The terms vary and can be complex as well.

They actually just updated the team member handbook this past year to restrict this loop hole.

There's a popular strip mall store in the next town over called Rue21, expensive clothing store, I mean, not expensive... but you go there and leave with only like one or two shirts LMAO. But my friend gets 50% off there, wow. I asked if she could hook me up next time I wanna get my GF something nice haha.

I do like how C9 and Simply Balanced gets an extra 10% or 20% off, whatever it is. Promoting healthier eating and active wear/working out.

There's a popular strip mall store in the next town over called Rue21, expensive clothing store, I mean, not expensive... but you go there and leave with only like one or two shirts LMAO. But my friend gets 50% off there, wow. I asked if she could hook me up next time I wanna get my GF something nice haha.

I do like how C9 and Simply Balanced gets an extra 10% or 20% off, whatever it is. Promoting healthier eating and active wear/working out.
It gets us 20% off plus our 10% off. Also includes produce too.

I didn't know about Simply Balanced, I may have to see if the 20% brings it in line with Market Pantry.

The debit red card takes a lot of discipline, since it's basically an old-fashioned check. I remember the days of check registers and balancing, but I really reinforce that point when talking to younger folks. I also find it weird that when I buy something Fri-Sun it shows up Thursday as expected, but when I buy on Thursday it shows up the next day instead of 72 business hours later.

It was a pain to get though. I had to call them and find out why it was "still processing" only to find the identity theft I suffered two months before made them need additional identifying information. They couldn't have called me or at least say what they needed instead of lumping it under "still processing"?

And when I switched bank accounts the card declined, very embarrassing, the first person I talked to (and hung up on) said they needed to be sure they would get their money, despite me never having an NSF. The second person, a real sweetheart, found that while corporate had my new banking information, the store was told I had no bank account attached to it and she had to resubmit my banking information. So yeah, it's a pain to set up.

I didn't know about Simply Balanced, I may have to see if the 20% brings it in line with Market Pantry.

They don't really make the same things.

You have to remember Market pantry is competing with the name brands while simply balanced is competing with the organic/premium brands.

Market pantry will always be cheaper but simply balanced is higher quality.

Last edited:
They don't really make the same things.

You have to remember Market pantry is competing with the name brands while simply balanced is competing with the organic/premium brands.

Market pantry will always be cheaper but simply balanced is higher quality.
I wouldn't say simply balanced is higher quality as much as just it's healthier than MP.

I wasn't aware of this policy until now. I vaguely remember team members in my store doing this at my register, but I've never been spoken to about this, so I guess redeye58 is right in that anything suspicious about a tm discount will fall on the team member using the discount.

whats the interest % on the red credit card? I assumed it would be 17%

You can't apply your discount to a gift card. That's illegal, not just Target policy. You can however use your discount when you redeem the gift card IF you bought the giftcard with cash or a Target Redcard. If you buy a giftcard with a with, for example, a Chase debit card and then use your discount when you redeem the giftcard, it will flag in an AP report. If your AP is doing their job correctly you will get called in for corrective action and possible termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back