Archived Girls in the backroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many girls are Backroom TMs in your store?

When I was hired, it was just me and my TL. Then we brought on 2 more over the last few months.... the TL doesn't want any more. Is it really such a male dominated position everywhere?

Probably a good third of the backroom crew are women.
They are also some of the hardest workers.

Last edited:
My store has two girls that work in the backroom dayside. Not sure about overnight though.

Right now, besides our LOG-TL, we have zero female backroom TMs. We very rarely have female Backroom Dayside TMs. We'll sometimes have female Backroom AM TMs, but they don't last very long. And while what Hardlinesmaster said about them being fast backstockers, that is true...when it's light duty, loose, open stock items. In my experience, I've never seen a fast female backstocker with casepack backstock, or bulk backstock. In fact, I've never seen a female Backroom TM push/backstock the bulk pallets off the truck, period.

In my store, the ETLs are all women, as are the TLs with the exception of two. No women in the backroom though.

I worked at a grocery store doing overnight stocking before transferring to the front end.

Once I transferred to the front end, I occasionally did day stock, usually when someone else called in.

Doing day stock I worked with this girl who had just turned 18 and could have worked circles around most of the night stock crew.

She wanted to transfer to night stock because it paid a $1-$2 an hour more and since she was 18, she could legally work overnight.

They wouldn't transfer her and for no reason other than she was a girl.

I don't know about Target but everywhere I've ever worked, working the trucks and backstock has been mostly guys and overnight was entirely guys.

How many girls are Backroom TMs in your store?

When I was hired, it was just me and my TL. Then we brought on 2 more over the last few months.... the TL doesn't want any more. Is it really such a male dominated position everywhere?

Are you f'n kidding me?!?!?! Call the integrity hotline if this comment was made on the clock. This is illegal. Target does not discriminate based on gender.

At Target, my store's overnight backroom team was half female, including 2 female BR TLs. Usually, it was the guys who did the bulk, but not always. I even did the bulk pulls once and the only problem I had was getting stuck on the WAV.
I don't remember the dayside BR that well but it seemed more male-dominated than the O/N team.

All the backroom girls always ask me to reach a certain box for them or go up on the ladder and get one of the heavier boxes.

I'm probably going to offend somebody in saying this, but...

It won't be the first time I've offended someone...

I'm all for equal opportunity and as I said before, I worked with a girl on day stock who could have worked circles around anyone on the night stock crew.

But, that said and this would include the girl who was great at putting up stock.

When it came to unloading a truck, pulling out a heavy cart, climbing a ladder, climbing up on an overhead rack to get backstock down, etc.

No, I don't have to do that.

That's what the guys are here for.

I am a middle age woman. I have been with Target close to 10 years. The TM's they hire, first are usually about half my age, most are deathly afraid of heights. I can do and usually do, almost anything in the store, and it is so sad, to watch the tm's and tl's, that will climb up the first two steps of a ladder, if they cannot reach it, they look at me, and say can you please. I have finally started walking out, or just saying no. You need to learn. If you cannot perform the core roles for "YOUR" job, then guess what. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE THAT JOB! I stand on the rungs on the wave and pretty much dangle from it sometimes getting stuff down or up. I don't have any problem standing on the top step of the ladder, I do it all the time. That is when the TL's need to step up and do their jobs. I used to jump up and say let me do it. We don't have the time for me to do your job anymore.

Last edited:
I'm probably going to offend somebody in saying this, but...

It won't be the first time I've offended someone...

I'm all for equal opportunity and as I said before, I worked with a girl on day stock who could have worked circles around anyone on the night stock crew.

But, that said and this would include the girl who was great at putting up stock.

When it came to unloading a truck, pulling out a heavy cart, climbing a ladder, climbing up on an overhead rack to get backstock down, etc.

No, I don't have to do that.

That's what the guys are here for.

And what offends me as a female is guys who think all girls are like that. When I was at Target, there were male coworkers who would come running over to me if they saw me lifting something heavy. They said they didn't want me to hurt myself but unless it was an item that needed a team lift, I could lift it myself. I just wish guys would wait until I ask for the help. I was one girl who wasn't afraid of a little heavy lifting. Granted, I never threw the truck, but I did just about everything else.
There were even times when I had to lift furniture that was a team lift without help. Well, I didn't lift it. I picked up one end and dragged it on the floor and found a way to get it on the shelf.

Last edited:
I still get mad when I think back on the female ETL that told me I needed to hurry up and finish the project I'm in the middle of to make a bale because "You're the only guy here." I went off on her in the middle of the sales floor telling her how sexist of a comment that was, and wondered why her 4 person team of women who filled the baler couldn't do it.

Of course, I had already gotten with the 50+ year old woman in the backroom and we were already planning to make a bale together since I knew they were worthless, and if I didn't get it done I would just be screwing over the flow TL the next morning.

I am a middle age woman. I have been with Target close to 10 years. The TM's they hire, first are usually about half my age, most are deathly afraid of heights. I can do and usually do, almost anything in the store, and it is so sad, to watch the tm's and tl's, that will climb up the first two steps of a ladder, if they cannot reach it, they look at me, and say can you please. I have finally started walking out, or just saying no. You need to learn. If you cannot perform the core roles for "YOUR" job, then guess what. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE THAT JOB! I stand on the rungs on the wave and pretty much dangle from it sometimes getting stuff down or up. I don't have any problem standing on the top step of the ladder, I do it all the time. That is when the TL's need to step up and do their jobs. I used to jump up and say let me do it. We don't have the time for me to do your job anymore.

Sorry but those are no-nos. You should never stand on the top step of a ladder, and you should definitely not "dangle" from the wave. Way to drive safety in your store. Not.

And what offends me as a female is guys who think all girls are like that. When I was at Target, there were male coworkers who would come running over to me if they saw me lifting something heavy. They said they didn't want me to hurt myself but unless it was an item that needed a team lift, I could lift it myself. I just wish guys would wait until I ask for the help. I was one girl who wasn't afraid of a little heavy lifting. Granted, I never threw the truck, but I did just about everything else.
There were even times when I had to lift furniture that was a team lift without help. Well, I didn't lift it. I picked up one end and dragged it on the floor and found a way to get it on the shelf.

I get what you’re saying, but at the same time, you should be grateful they were willing to help.

I was working overnight stock at a grocery store, all guys and with the exception of me and the stock manager, all just out of high school.

Every other night we’d get a perishable truck.

Someone from the stock crew would unload the truck and put the freight in the coolers.

About 4 AM one person from each department would come in to work their part of the perishable truck.

The woman who worked dairy was young, probably weighed about 110 soaking wet and was a single mother just trying to survive.

She was a cashier who transferred to grocery because it paid more.

I’m six feet tall, I weigh about 230, I’ve mowed yards, I’ve worked construction, I've worked security and I can throw some freight but even I had trouble moving some of the dairy carts because the wheels on them didn’t work right.

The rest of the guys on the stock crew not only wouldn’t do anything to help her, but they would intentionally wedge the dairy carts in the cooler so she wouldn’t be able to get them out.

One morning, it was all I could do to get the carts out of the cooler and that was WITH her helping me.

I then went and found the jackass clown who had wedged them in there like that in the first place and had a little “chat.”

I still get mad when I think back on the female ETL that told me I needed to hurry up and finish the project I'm in the middle of to make a bale because "You're the only guy here." I went off on her in the middle of the sales floor telling her how sexist of a comment that was, and wondered why her 4 person team of women who filled the baler couldn't do it.

Of course, I had already gotten with the 50+ year old woman in the backroom and we were already planning to make a bale together since I knew they were worthless, and if I didn't get it done I would just be screwing over the flow TL the next morning.

I once made a bale with a 70+ year old guy who was supposed to be a courtesy clerk because the stock crew, which was all guys, had filled the baler to the top and then went home.

Sorry but those are no-nos. You should never stand on the top step of a ladder, and you should definitely not "dangle" from the wave. Way to drive safety in your store. Not.

There's "safety" and there's getting the job done.

Somewhere in the middle, you have to find a balance.

I've never "dangled from a wave."

I don't even know what you all are talking about.

I have however stood on the top step of a ladder.

You see, I had to get on the top step of the ladder in order to be high enough to climb up on and then walk around on the shelf where we kept the cereal back stock.

We got back down from there by grabbing ahold of one of the rafters, lowering ourselves as far as we could and then dropping to the floor.

I'm sure not OSHA approved, but it worked.

I dangle over the edge of the WAVe all the time. In signing it's practically a job requirement. And have you ever been in the backroom, trying to wrestling one of the freezer/fridges from the top of the bulk racking onto the shelf of the WAVe? There's some dangling and near-death involved. Everyone who uses the wave on a regular basis knows this.

I get what you’re saying, but at the same time, you should be grateful they were willing to help.

Yes, I hope you wrote a letter to corporate to thank them for making sure that the backroom is staffed with big strong men to help you. Then you should have straightened your apron, batted your pretty blue eyes and made some cookies for them, too. Silly, silly you for being offended that someone should think you are incapable of doing your job or asking for help when it is needed.

I dangle over the edge of the WAVe all the time. In signing it's practically a job requirement. And have you ever been in the backroom, trying to wrestling one of the freezer/fridges from the top of the bulk racking onto the shelf of the WAVe? There's some dangling and near-death involved. Everyone who uses the wave on a regular basis knows this.

This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back