Archived Goodbye Dollar Spot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't be sad to see dollar spot go, i never shopped it anyway. The CEO is dead on as far as to why it needs to be removed.

Fucking finally!! I have hated that area ever since its inception. It always looks like crap and properly zoning it takes FAR too long to be worth the payroll. It takes away sales from equivalent higher dollar items. It's the complete antithesis of the brand we supposedly try to display.
Amen.

This is a bad business move. Dollar stores in this country are doing a booming business & Target is being very shortsighted if they don't compete in that area!

People love a bargain & people love rummaging through kitschy stuff looking for something that catches their eye - when something is 'just a dollar' people are very willing to open their wallets.

I think moving Dollar Spot to another area might be the smarter decision. Doing away with this completely is a big mistake.

The only reason Dollar Spot is always a mess now is because Spot doesn't devote enough floorspace to present it properly. If they made it a little bigger - they'd have a neater area & customers would be thrilled.
Guests treat it like crap, our store doesn't backstock because we never get more than like half of the actual product that's set there but we get a ton of a few products, so we flex it out. Even when zoned and flex out well it gets trashed with just one busy weekend. After it's trashed the best you can do is designate area's of clutter, clean out other areas and fill it with product off the truck.
I had heard this too. It is just so labor intensive to really make a profit. Zoning it is a true pain in the ass. When it finally goes salvage it takes forever to clear it out. Its always dirty, the stuff in there is always falling out of its packaging. Then there is the setting! Boxes inside of another box inside another box and then wrapped in
Right! Why do those cups come in individual boxes, with cardboard inserts wrapped in plastic!

There's been talk at my store about moving guest service to one spot and replacing our current service desk with a starbucks (we don't have one) for a long time. Maybe this is finally gonna happen to us lol

In Halloween and summertime sets this year, we've seen some stuff be backstocked under the BUCK fillgroup and actually be set in mini/seasonal. I wouldn't be shocked if it were true and a seasonal EC or 8-12' in the aisle became the new dollar spot and we stopped having the cheap electronics and such...wouldn't be a bad decision IMO

Id buy the desktop calendar for 1, then 3 bucks. Same thing as the 6-10 dollar alternative in office. Other than that, I bought zilch from there.

"Think of it as part of the Target Fitness Program!"
And it's a "award winning" one at that ;) lol

Honestly. I think One Spot/Dollar Spot, was a way for Target to draw in hoards of "value guests". The kind of guests, they we're trying to grab from Walmart. The idea is... by presenting cheap/loveable prices at the front, people are drawn in... and more likely to spend more money in other parts of the store.

Not that I'm going to cry over seeing it go, but it's interesting. I wonder if there going to use the space to expand Integrated Guest Service?

They had those little LED flashlights that cost $6-10 elsewhere, pocket calendars (used a ton of those over the years), the little organizer trays that just fit in the drawer, tons of different board books for the kiddies, 10-pk glow bracelets MUCH cheaper than the party aisle, wire baskets in various sizes, stocking-sized toys & playkits.....
I'm really gonna miss it :(

A lot of people just wait for one spot to go clearance before they buy anyways.

More space to flex random shit from the backroom and have it sold out within a week! My ETL-LOG's fantasy...

I think one spot has great stuff nowadays. My store is one of the top store for 1 spot. Well maintain & always full,

Yeah I just loaded up on Halloween stuff.. And the small pots of chalkboard paint!

And for Halloween stuff and X-mas cheapy stuff its a great place to flex when its sold out.. Great 2nd location for all the little tins of candy we get for those holidays..

I confess I like poking around over there, but you need to watch what you buy. I was looking at bath paints for kids to use in tub and after reading small tiny print saw it may stain. Made in China of course. Still get safe stocking stuffers there and useless but necessary stuff for myself. My Stl will be sad cause she always pushes over there.

I'm glad it's going. I agree with our CEO.

Before the data breach and the Canadian fiasco, Target would spend millions of dollars on 'hip' advertising to get people into the stores. What's the first thing they saw when walking into the store? A big mess of cheap merchandise that never looked good unless it was just reset.

I've been around for 16 years and I remember we used to have product in that 'cart well' area that was a theme: something like a Spring Break theme, or a holiday theme, or just a bunch of appliances, toys, etc., that were on sale.

There should be a live band playing in the store, somewhere.

I'm glad it's going. I agree with our CEO.

Before the data breach and the Canadian fiasco, Target would spend millions of dollars on 'hip' advertising to get people into the stores. What's the first thing they saw when walking into the store? A big mess of cheap merchandise that never looked good unless it was just reset.

I've been around for 16 years and I remember we used to have product in that 'cart well' area that was a theme: something like a Spring Break theme, or a holiday theme, or just a bunch of appliances, toys, etc., that were on sale.

All that hip advertising, yet now we have tacky self check outs with no attentive employees around it.

I remember a Workbench urgent message a couple of years ago about one of the Dollar Spot plastic toys melting in the bag and giving away a (hazardous?) smell.

Oh and the whole three-dollar flip-flops burning feet fiasco. (Edit: Nevermind, that was WalMart)

Manicure kits with cuticle sticks that were covered in mold, drink containers that had a chemical smell no matter how many times you washed them, mini water pistols that cracked into plastic shards, lipgloss recalls because of chemical content - yeh, there were quite a few not-kid-friendly items but still....

:mad::mad::mad: Wow it keeps getting better and better doesn't it?? First let's get rid of Take Charge of Education and now let's kill one spot?? Okay that makes sense........ I know alot of families during easter, christmas who look forward to that and they give their grandkids or kids little presents. WTG spot you sure do know how to kill the holiday spirit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back