Greener Pastures Post Spot?

Curious how things have worked out for all you former Targeteers who quit due to modernization this past year. Regrets? Wishing you had jumped ship sooner? I am going with the latter, although I will have to join a gym now since I’m getting soft around the middle not having to do the work of 3 people anymore. Like many escapees, I pop on here now and then in hopes that things are getting better for the very few vets that are still left. I like to think that modernization was good for at least one thing and that it was the kick in the pants that some of us needed to get back on track and do something more meaningful or prosperous vs staying stagnant in a dead end job. Hopefully there’s a lot of success stories so that those that will have their hours cut to nearly nothing this time next month, will feel encouraged and know they have options if they are opened to looking for those options.

I didn't realize how toxic of a place my store was until I started working at Nordstrom (Target was my first long-term job) afterwards and it was like a breath of fresh air. I was upset that I didn't leave sooner; I assumed all retail would be horrible and I was wrong. Now I'm working in a call center, and I feel like Target customers really gave me a thick skin in dealing with customers, not at Nordstrom or at this other high-range company have I dealt with such difficult, entitled people as I did when at Target.

My biggest regret is going to a competitor of the company I work for now the first time I left Spot. I would be two years in, but I'm only six months in because of my choices. Six months of the happiest I've ever been at work. I always wish I started sooner, but I'm happy I left Spot for good this time. Even Sales Associates have control of their own schedule. Last-minute swaps due to unexpected circumstances? No problem. No lunch money? No problem -- There's food in the breakroom for emergencies when TMs can't afford their own, and I've seen plenty of associates share their lunches because they understand. It's inspired me to do the same. It is guaranteed that when you are closing, you will only stay until you're scheduled. No exceptions. If you're scheduled until 9, once those lights go off, you're good to go. If you're scheduled a little past close to work on go-backs, etc, as soon as it's time to leave (and sometimes ten minutes early depending on the closing leader), it's time to go. It's retail, but it's enjoyable. I get plenty of hours, yet I have the best work-life balance because the scheduling is much more realistic, even with my 45 hour work weeks (approved overtime)!

I left originally to do project management type work for another retailer (remodels, new stores) and then eventually manage stores for them. From there I took advantage of some opportunities locally to move away from retail.

What's really stark in comparison is the prison style atmosphere the retail/service industry forces upon you. Literally any other industry if you want to take a break....you just..do..

Want to come in at 8? Great. 9? Great. 10? Great. Work your allotted hours and get the work done. No problem.

Hmm, well I don't think literally ALL other jobs but retail have that kind of laissez faire attitude about start times lol.

Hmm, well I don't think literally ALL other jobs but retail have that kind of laissez faire attitude about start times lol.

My current role lets me interface with people from a lot of different industries, and probably 80% of them operate on a "core hours" model where as long as you're there within the core hours (normally 9-3) and you work the amount of hours daily/weekly requested, then start/end times are flexible.

Retail/service forces you to be very rigid in your start/stop/break times just by nature of the business. When I jumped to my current industry (Cybersecurity) it was the first thing I noticed.

That's nice for you, and for those that you interact with, but it's still not everyone. My friends and family have mostly punch in/punch out jobs - distribution center clerks, factory workers, company truck drivers, office administrators, dental assistants, plumbing showroom managers, teachers, police officers, etc etc etc - they all have start times that are not negotiable.

I have a start time that is non-negotiable but we also have a boss that is human if a pipe breaks or if a fender-bender happens on the way to work.

I do a mishmash of call center and sales and I love it. Base wage is lower but there's also commission and guaranteed more hours. Wage paychecks alone, not counting commissions, are higher than my Target checks.

People are awesome too. My coworkers and bosses are great.

I wish I could have had this job much sooner.

That's nice for you, and for those that you interact with, but it's still not everyone. My friends and family have mostly punch in/punch out jobs - distribution center clerks, factory workers, company truck drivers, office administrators, dental assistants, plumbing showroom managers, teachers, police officers, etc etc etc - they all have start times that are not negotiable.

Yeah most are these are service oriented, which I stated.

It's a byproduct of the nature of the industry, but it's still awful and I feel for those people.

I don't know, I don't think it's awful at all. Societies need rules, otherwise it just becomes anarchy. In a retail environment and in many other jobs, there are things that need to be taken care of in a timely manner. You just can't have people strolling in whenever they please. What if everyone on a given day just felt like coming in at noon instead of 8? No one to help guests and perform other tasks for hours. It makes no sense. People have to be at work at a certain time because these things need to get done and people need to be there, to service the public and take care of other business. When you go to get a coffee or go out to eat, do you not want someone there to make your food and drink and bring it to you? When you call the authorities, wouldn't it be nice if they showed up? If you owned a business, it sure would be nice if your deliveries arrived in a timely manner, yes? This is the way the world works, the way society functions. I have nothing but admiration and respect for those that choose to work in service industries, and I appreciate people who show up to work ON TIME and DO THEIR JOB.

They have a laissez-faire attitude about paying you
My first job I made $3.25 an hour. I'm not going to complain about 13-15 dollars, especially for a job that's as low-stress as this one. Most of the stress I feel is my own fault for having high standards. It would be nice if everyone on my team did things my way, aka the right way, but whatever. I just need to make like Elsa and let it go.

Best decision i have made in my working life. So many people are afraid to leave Spot because they have been beaten down and no longer think they can make it somewhere else. i just had a 4 day Thanksgiving weekend and am looking forward to the week between Christmas and New Years off. For over 20 years i came to HATE Christmas. I loved the job at Target but hated the politics and incompetence of the “leaders”The shady (and illegal) business practices they used to thin the workforce at my last store left me feeling disgusted and i knew I had to leave for my own self respect. If you are not happy, leave. You have one life to live and you are the master of your path

My first job I made $3.25 an hour. I'm not going to complain about 13-15 dollars, especially for a job that's as low-stress as this one. Most of the stress I feel is my own fault for having high standards. It would be nice if everyone on my team did things my way, aka the right way, but whatever. I just need to make like Elsa and let it go.

That mindset coupled with corporate greed is why wage stagnation is very real. There's an entire section of the govt (BLS) with an entire website filled with data speaking to exactly why you should be complaining.

Know your value, if you provide more value than your peers then you should be asking for more or looking elsewhere if told no. Not doing so will keep wages low because why would employees pay more when they still get people for less? This is how a free market works, corporations will only pony up when they can no longer attract talent.

Maybe I should leave. Target is fine IMO, but its just a job and the constantly fighting\worrying about hours is getting old. I went from 8 years at McDonald's to 14 years at Target. I know I get paid more than most TMs and will be over the bump when it comes but barely. Is it worth it? I get extreme anxiety around big changes.

I have a start time that is non-negotiable but we also have a boss that is human if a pipe breaks or if a fender-bender happens on the way to work.

I do a mishmash of call center and sales and I love it. Base wage is lower but there's also commission and guaranteed more hours. Wage paychecks alone, not counting commissions, are higher than my Target checks.

People are awesome too. My coworkers and bosses are great.

I wish I could have had this job much sooner.
Wow, how things can change in a month. Right now I leave my job wanting to cry and feeling completely exhausted every day.

It's not the job or the people. It's that we are understaffed. It's supposed to be a department of 6 plus a manager, but it's 2 plus a manager and there's a hiring freeze. So we each have to do the job of three people.

I hope they hire someone, anyone and train them before February. My department coworker is due in early March, and babies can decide they are done baking a couple weeks early.

It's been almost a year and I still haven't found another job (I had to resign when something traumatic happened at work).

I was making a lot of money, and right now the only income I have is my financial aid for grad school. I'm so scared of losing my house and OUTRIGHT TERRIFIED at the thought of losing my 5 furkids.

I have 22 years retail management experience. I'm trying to go to HR, which was one of my ETL role.

I've applied all over the country. Absolutely nada. I've had two face-to-face interviews. I can't even get a job making $40k less than I was making.

My self-esteem, which was already nonexistent, cannot take it anymore. I went from working eighty to one-hundred hour weeks to bedridden. I had ten series of ECT, which absolutely destroyed my memory; so I worry that if I DO get hired, I won't know what to do.

I'm just so lost..

Know your value, if you provide more value than your peers then you should be asking for more or looking elsewhere if told no. Not doing so will keep wages low because why would employees pay more when they still get people for less? This is how a free market works, corporations will only pony up when they can no longer attract talent.
Yes, but also, know the value of a job that fits your lifestyle and mental health needs. Lifestyle-wise, I don't need to make a lot of money. Mental health-wise, I do need a lower stress job than what I used to do. Target pays way less and my bank account shows it, but I'm not nearly as stressed about work as I was in years past either. Life is full of trade-offs.

@16yearswasted, I'm sorry to read that you're experiencing such difficulties. Do you have a support system of family and/or friends around you? Is there any mental health counseling available to you, perhaps through a community agency or a faith community? This sounds like a lot to handle all on your own.

It's been almost a year and I still haven't found another job (I had to resign when something traumatic happened at work).

I was making a lot of money, and right now the only income I have is my financial aid for grad school. I'm so scared of losing my house and OUTRIGHT TERRIFIED at the thought of losing my 5 furkids.

I have 22 years retail management experience. I'm trying to go to HR, which was one of my ETL role.

I've applied all over the country. Absolutely nada. I've had two face-to-face interviews. I can't even get a job making $40k less than I was making.

My self-esteem, which was already nonexistent, cannot take it anymore. I went from working eighty to one-hundred hour weeks to bedridden. I had ten series of ECT, which absolutely destroyed my memory; so I worry that if I DO get hired, I won't know what to do.

I'm just so lost..
First off, tell your doctor to stick the ECT electrodes up his ass and fire them up. ECT is barbaric and not much better than a lobotomy, and the amount of electricity ran through your brain is like sticking your computer power cord in a 50,000 volt outlet. Think of it this way, they do their best to keep people with seizure disorders from having seizures because seizures are harmful to the brain. So why do they want to cause seizures in people that were viewed as lacking willpower back when the process was invented? There are other, safer options now.

Ironically just a few days ago my boss told me she had a bad concussion once so she wrote everything down that she had to do as soon as she learned she had to do it, and crossed each item off when it was done. She was promoted to manager during that period, which showed how well that system worked.

Back