Archived Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSAguy

GSA
Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading around the site for several months, since I was first hired and searching for things related to my new job. I’m definitly glad I did, because I think I may have learned just as much from here as I have from on the job training. Not bashing any of the people that had a hand in training me because they’ve all been great, but I have read so much here about working at Target that doesn’t relate to my specific workcenter.

I came to Target after a long career in the restaurant industry. I was a general manager making incredibly good money until my job started to stress me out more and more each day. I was your typical twenty something go-getter that wanted to prove that I could achieve anything. I never was as great at my job as I would have liked, but I definitly had several things to be proud of over the years. Then all of a sudden, hello 30. It was almost like a light switch in my brain was flipped to where I wanted no part of the job I was doing. Constant phone calls while not working, a boss that was always hovering over me and demanding answers for the most redicilous and minuscule issues, and a team that I had zero faith in ever being even slightly successful. I knew I needed a change, and Target was there exactly when I needed him.

Target doesn’t have a strong presence in the area I live. We have the one in the city I live in, one about 40 miles away, and all the others closest to us are 150+ miles away. Despite that, Target has always been my store of choice. The clientele has always been several notches above any other large retailer in the area, the store always appeared clean and bright, and shelves always neat and stocked. That’s what initially prompted me to look to Target for employment opportunities.

So, I applied for a couple different positions. One of them being flexible fulfillment, and the other being GSA, not really knowing the full scale of either. Sure I read the job descriptions, but for someone that has never worked retail, they aren’t exactly crystal clear.

I received a phone call the very next day from the HR team member offering an interview for the GSA position.

So I went and interviewed with one of the GSTL’s and the ETL-HR back to back, then the ETL came back to offer me the job, which I accepted without hesitation. For someone that hasn’t interviewed for a job since the age of 16, I was excited to say the least.

So that was back in October, I’ve survived my first Q4, and I couldn’t be happier with myself for making the change that I did. I’ve read quite a few ‘horror’ stories if you will, about many different aspects of working at Target, and I’m thankful that I don’t have any yet.

It wasn’t easy for me to go from something I did for 13 years to something I had no experience at all in, making almost less than half the salary I was used to, but my GSTL, ETLs, and STL have all been nothing but welcoming and encouraging. There were several cashiers that I could tell were bitter about the fact that they weren’t chosen for the job they gave me, but that’s not a situation I had not been in before, and it didn’t take long for those folks to realize that I’m not a person that is around to boast a title (after all I am a TM just like them).

This was way longer than I thought it would be, but morale of the story is that so far, Target is a place that I have really enjoyed working and learning about, as well as a place that couldn’t have came into my life at a more perfect time. I’m not sure how Target will play out in my long term future, but so far it’s been great.

If you’ve read this far... I’m sorry. Lol. But I’m super stoked to be part of the team.

Welcome, with honest hard work, sky is the limit at target! Turn your job into a career and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back