Archived Grocery rollout custom blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are getting the u-boats in a month or two. Any tips on what works and what doesn't in terms of custom blocks is greatly appreciated. I'd like to gradually change the line over the next couple months to make the transition less of a cluster fuck. We are 6AM and we have a curve at the beginning of the line.

Try to keep them aligned to the sales floor profile as much as possible. We have enough space to have enough unload space to have a U-Boat for each aisle (W1 / W2 )...

How many u-boats can you fit per section? I was wondering how difficult it is to transfer freight from the line to the vehicle with that bar in the way. I was also contemplating putting all the u-boats at the end of the line, lining up 7-8 there, is that plausible?

Loading uboats is different from loading pallets. You can't just grab, twist and place cases, you have to take several steps to load the front of the boat. You have to crouch to load the lower deck. You will be holding the freight longer and you'll definitely feel it by the end of the unload. Swapping a full U-boat for an empty takes hustle. Expect criticism for misplaced freight. You'll miss your pallets and pallet pullers.

So is this definitely rolling out to R100 soon?

I'm in 400. Haven't looked myself, but their is a spreadsheet on WB somewhere that lists how much equuipment each store gets.

U-boats are longer than you think. Try to get them as close to the line as possible, they don't fit on my line and we had to put them at the end and out of the way so I can still pull skids past them. Although i could have shoved them at one specific area on the line and just avoided the skid situation I found that when the skids didn't get it the way, the uboats got in the way. Uboats pivot on the center wheel so we couldn't pull uboats past uboats because we couldn't turn them fully, they would just run into the other uboats on the line before we cleared enough space to fully turn them 90 degrees and slide them past. In general our line is just cramped, we barely fit skids past skids and takes new puller awhile before they get used to using the pallet jack properly to pull the skids out.

U-boats are slower to unload onto, people have to walk a bit more instead of just pivot and place items. The minimum you want is 1 u-boat a valley although if you can do better the consumables team would like it, 1 per aisle would be even better, they key is to reduce touches and steps by no longer bowling so the u-boats needs to be easy to stock off of.

I had to shove all our u-boats at the end of the line out of the way because they didn't fit, also used the bare minimum 1 per valley for custom blocks because the u-boats are so far away from the line. The line still backs up slightly every time we get a good line of grocery coming off the truck, but that backup is at the end of the line so it doesn't hurt as much.

U-boats are unstable, expect poor stacks and take it slow around turns because dropped olive oil is hell to clean up. Expect consumables to complain when 3 items out of 500 are misplaced on the wrong uboat. I changed up how uboats were handled as well. Since my uboats are at the end of the line and sometimes people just don't have much to do because they don't get freight and the rest of the line is taken up is fine. When the uboats fill up I just have them pull them off the line and just drop them outside of receiving for grocery team to pick up later, instead of having my pullers try to do it, helped reduce the times we got uboats stacked to the sky.

Also partner with your backroom TL and PMT to rearrange receiving as needed to find a place near the line for the uboats to sit, so it's easy to pull and replace them.

Uboats killed our unload, we used to have a line that could unload a 2400 piece truck in 50-55 mins to it taking a norm of 75mins. We also asked Flow TMs who were regulars at stocking Dry Grocery to move to the new consumables team to ease the transition, also to get rid of a few TMs are hours were sapped out of Flow for the transition.

Uboats are great, for pfresh, down-stacking pallets onto uboats and taking them down asiles works like magic.

Last edited:
How many u-boats can you fit per section? I was wondering how difficult it is to transfer freight from the line to the vehicle with that bar in the way. I was also contemplating putting all the u-boats at the end of the line, lining up 7-8 there, is that plausible?

You can fit about 2 u-boats per pallet spot and leave enough room in between them to step alongside them (since they are so long it takes an extra step to get to the back of them to stack). The bars are removable on either side. I have it so its a custom block/valley and have 6 u-boats for them, and then do two pallets for cereal and beverage since they are so large.

I was wondering if I could just keep beverage on a pallet and bowl it, then have grocery team work it before the store opens.

We use flats for bev and cereal when they are available. Easier to stack and saves uboats. In general flats for bev over cereal if that becomes a choice just because bev is harder to load onto uboats. For the most part the consumables team works bev and cereal to start off with just because they push quick and they take up alot of space.

Most decisions with the grocery transition is about increased efficiency. They want it unloaded directly onto uboats to decrease product touches and cut down on the walking bowling creates. Stock directly from the uboat in the aisle. In theory this increases productivity, in practice it depends on the people and the custom blocks.

I've seen TMs leave the uboat at the front of the asile and walk to location back and forth, I've also seen TMs stock from the uboat directly picking items strategically so they don't have to walk much at all. This is also why 1 custom block per-valley is the bare minimum. Multiple valleys makes it pretty hard to stock from the uboat without alot of walking. 1 For aisle or better obviously helps grocery out, it may slow or complicate your unload depending on your usual freight.

Last edited:
In general how many hours does the consumable team get? (A volume.) What does a typical schedule look like? Does the team get pulled to other work centers?
What has been the biggest challenge? Is your team able to finish push and backstock completely everyday? (Including coolers)

In general how many hours does the consumable team get? (A volume.) What does a typical schedule look like? Does the team get pulled to other work centers?
What has been the biggest challenge? Is your team able to finish push and backstock completely everyday? (Including coolers)

The payroll will depend on your store (and sales mix) because we could both be 60M stores, but do vastly different sales in food in particular. The schedule also has little guidance that I have seen, as it is up to stores to just figure out. They basically are telling stores to go down to one or no closers and put almost all the payroll during the early morning/mid hours.

When we did it, we personally never came clean on it. I could see it working but it will take parties who know what they are doing to make it work (as in the person allocating payroll will need to be VERY precise on what they are giving out and for what, its very easy to not judge it right and hand it out between the ETL-Food and ETL-Log and short one side too much for what they are expected to do).

April: region 200 & 300
May: 100 & 400
Its everyone getting this or is there a chance we get passed over? Not that watching the team flounder more than they did now won't have its merits...

Its everyone getting this or is there a chance we get passed over? Not that watching the team flounder more than they did now won't have its merits...
I believe there are some unique prototypes that are not getting it, but I forget the wording. It's on WB->pilots->grocery rollout->equipment allocation.

Does your backroom still full and sto market so you don't get behind or do you leave to the market team?
What can we do now to help with this transition?

Thought at least R100 had this already? We've had it for a while, it' s pretty balls for your unload, it's where we bottleneck the most.

Does your backroom still full and sto market so you don't get behind or do you leave to the market team?
What can we do now to help with this transition?
Backroom and Flows hours get sapped by the rollout. Backroom and Flow ideaily would not touch an ounce of grocery after the rollout.

I'd recommend having backroom still do blackline, pull and backstock it using their hours until they can confidently train the market team to keep up with it. Our market team could not at all keep up with it, had multiple pallets laying around in receiving not getting backstocked just repushed every once and awhile. Errors shot up crazy amounts in grocery and it looked like crap. Took awhile but a slow transition of responsibility for backroom would be ideal, just so they can concentrate on getting their TMs to push all the freight with the hours they have.

My store has limited equipment so it's not like the market team could push it all and all jump back there to pull and backstock. They get 1 PDA to use so they just rotate between 2 TMs who basically just do backroom/freezer duty 100% of their shifts, even though that's not recommended by the rollout.

Flow also slowly transitioned responsibilities, Flow used to do their cardboard and push their water pallets plus any pallets that came off as bulk from the truck, usually wine/bake. Now we just post them up in the back and inform the team that they are back there and what it is.

Basically I would just start to see if the market team could push what they have coming off the trucks before you ask them to actually do the other things like, backroom/instocks responsibilities.

Oh shit knowing target they will roll it out the week of April 9th one week before Easter. The busiest week lol.
My store rolled it out right before our busy season. Great time to watch uboats pile up in the back and blackline grocery pile up in the back. See uboats not even taken off the floor for push just sitting night after night next to all the 3 teirs. Until it piles up so much that now flow and backroom has to help them out, only to find a bitter flow and backroom who lost more hours than they thought they would to the program complaining about coming clean with their own crap.

Thought at least R100 had this already? We've had it for a while, it' s pretty balls for your unload, it's where we bottleneck the most.
Up til now it has just been in the pilot phase at certain stores. It's now rolling out company-wide.

Realistically it is possible for the process to work, but again it completely depends on your STLs "idea" of what it should look like and/or whoever is doing your store's payroll allocation. The secret to "logistics" success is a micromanagement of payroll since its so tight as is, so when they start pulling payroll out of one workcenter and moving it to another they need to know realistically how much payroll it should take to do certain jobs and assign those duties to the team...

For example, ours pulled hours out of Unload and into Market, but didn't pull enough to get the FDC worked as well (so they struggled to figure out whether or not to run dairy or dry first).

I personally want to tackle it as a pilot again (but I suppose the live version would do) but I would highly recommend doing a mock schedule in excel if I were the STL and figure out EXACTLY who is doing what and how many hours each job should take before just swinging hundreds of hours between workcenters around.

The issue we ran into is that, it took backroom hours a day to pull, blackline and backstock dry and pfresh. Flow around 8 hours to push all of dry+autos. The market team that took over couldn't do that. Market TL is under salefloor ETLs, Salefloor ETL is not logistically minded did not push their TL to start pushing their TMs to speed up. The amazing part is they took ~20 hours out of flow and another ~15 out of backroom a day to staff market, but market didn't get those ~35 hours they got around I want to say like ~25 hours a day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back