Archived GSA not being supported by Sr.GSTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only a Cashier, but one of the my GSTL's makes me feel incompetent all the time. If I have to call someone over for help, and he has to respond, he'll roll his eyes and be really sassy to the Guest/me. I feel uncomfortable asking for help when he is working. The other GSTL is awesome and they always make me feel like I made the right decision to ask for help. This GSTL always congratulates me on REDcards, but the other one makes sure that I asked the Guest and accuses me of lying if I say I did. I'm trying to get off the lanes as quickly as possible because I feel like I'm an utter disappointment, even though the Guests always tell me that I'm really good....I just feel like on Target's end, I'm not doing very well. :(

I'm only a Cashier, but one of the my GSTL's makes me feel incompetent all the time. If I have to call someone over for help, and he has to respond, he'll roll his eyes and be really sassy to the Guest/me. I feel uncomfortable asking for help when he is working. The other GSTL is awesome and they always make me feel like I made the right decision to ask for help. This GSTL always congratulates me on REDcards, but the other one makes sure that I asked the Guest and accuses me of lying if I say I did. I'm trying to get off the lanes as quickly as possible because I feel like I'm an utter disappointment, even though the Guests always tell me that I'm really good....I just feel like on Target's end, I'm not doing very well. :(
Bring that up to your GSTL but if you don't feel comfortable doing that, go to your ETL-GE or HR if it's really making you feel that way. Morale is a big factor in terms of performance.

Bring that up to your GSTL but if you don't feel comfortable doing that, go to your ETL-GE or HR if it's really making you feel that way. Morale is big factor in terms of performance.

I don't know, I don't want to cause problems with a Team Leader after only being with Spot for 4 months. I'd rather suck it up until I can get into a different area of the Store. I don't know what I did for that GSTL to not like me though... my heart sinks everytime I see him working when I start my shift though. :/

I don't know, I don't want to cause problems with a Team Leader after only being with Spot for 4 months. I'd rather suck it up until I can get into a different area of the Store. I don't know what I did for that GSTL to not like me though... my heart sinks everytime I see him working when I start my shift though. :/

He sounds like an asshole. Just because he's a TL doesn't mean he's not a problem that the store needs to deal with.

Definitely talk to your ETL-GE or ETL-HR or the other GSTL who you like... whoever you feel most comfortable talking to about this.

He sounds like an asshole. Just because he's a TL doesn't mean he's not a problem that the store needs to deal with.

Definitely talk to your ETL-GE or ETL-HR or the other GSTL who you like... whoever you feel most comfortable talking to about this.

I don't know, a Starbucks position just opened up at my store, I think I'll try to transfer. I could see this all blowing up in my face because he's a Team Leader and has been there for years, and I've been here for 4 months. I'd rather avoid the drama if I can.

Does he act this way toward others or does he seem to single you out?
Regardless, you should let the other GSTL know.
Getting out of the front sounds like the best idea.
We took a cashier from the front to train at Starbucks.
At the time, they said he was a poor performer & wasn't very FFF but our TL saw something in him.
Over time, he became one of our hardest workers & was named top performer several times.
Turned out it was the GSTL that was the problem.

Turns out it's usually a 50/50 chance that's the case. Worst TLs are the ones always spewing the kool-aid "best practice" this, "FFF" that. Those are almost always the clueless, lazy, pick favorites types.

Does he act this way toward others or does he seem to single you out?
Regardless, you should let the other GSTL know.
Getting out of the front sounds like the best idea.
We took a cashier from the front to train at Starbucks.
At the time, they said he was a poor performer & wasn't very FFF but our TL saw something in him.
Over time, he became one of our hardest workers & was named top performer several times.

He acts this way towards others of us, however, there are a couple of Cashiers who he doesn't mind coming over to help, and chatting with them in the breakroom. I guess I just didn't fit the criteria or what, because whenever he comes over to my lane he has attitude and it just really makes me not want to ask for help. As for the other GSTL, I already told them that I wanted to be somewhere else in the store. I just have to partner with them now to get me off the front lanes, if they ask why I want to leave so suddenly, I'll tell them why.

This is a ballsey move but, next time he comes over & starts with the attitude, ask him point blank if there's something wrong.
"When I ask for your help, you seem irritated at me. Why is that? I call on you because I need your help & I want to learn to do it correctly."

Last edited:
I know this thread is old but it's still relevant. I recently had a newly promoted GSA at my store receive a lot of pushback from the cashiers since she was once a cashier herself. I noticed her having a hard time and when I had a moment and she did as well I asked to speak to her and we sat down and spoke. I congratulated her for her promotion and asked her how her journey has been as a GSA so far. That's when she confirmed what I had noticed that she was receiving a lot of pushback from the cashiers and they weren't respecting her authority especially with the cashiers loafing in Dollar Spot which I had seen too. I gave her some advice and I told her that she could always partner with me if she needs assistance especially with Dollar Spot since it's right next to Starbucks(I'm the SBTL). I totally understand how it feels to not have support espeially when you're newly promoted. She left with a smile and now I've been seeing her excel in her role. It made me happy to see that confidence.
confidence is the bigggest part in the gsa transition. someone gives you shit? that's a no. you're in charge and that's not ok. do you need your tl/etl or grab any tl and tell them that's not right.

i had people pull well so and so said. that person left years ago and our policies changed.

for the most part i never had pushback because when i tell them its either best practice or decent advice.

confidence is the bigggest part in the gsa transition. someone gives you shit? that's a no. you're in charge and that's not ok. do you need your tl/etl or grab any tl and tell them that's not right.

i had people pull well so and so said. that person left years ago and our policies changed.

for the most part i never had pushback because when i tell them its either best practice or decent advice.

They really need to Just make all GSAs GSTLs and stop being stingy. It gets old having TMs Who don't want to listen to you, and you have to pray you can get your TL to deal with it. Or when you try to talk to them, they get their panties in a bind and want to get you wrote up.

I let my ETL-HR know that I was interested in getting off the lanes, we'll see what happens next. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back