Archived Gstl Routines

Status
Not open for further replies.

NKG

Nkg
Looooooonnnnng story short- GSTL position opened up a month ago. Basically no one wanted to take it but me because there was gonna be virtually any training. Since the previous GSTL basically quit suddenly there's nothing for me to reference. Im new to my store and most of my peers are too busy to ask anything other than simple stuff. My ETL seems less than interested in my transition and my STL is like ask your ETL. I need to know what daily, weekly and monthly routines should I have.

Looooooonnnnng story short- GSTL position opened up a month ago. Basically no one wanted to take it but me because there was gonna be virtually any training. Since the previous GSTL basically quit suddenly there's nothing for me to reference. Im new to my store and most of my peers are too busy to ask anything other than simple stuff. My ETL seems less than interested in my transition and my STL is like ask your ETL. I need to know what daily, weekly and monthly routines should I have.
Ill ask my ETL-GE , and get back to you. Meanwhile pretend like you know what you’re doing.

Not an all-encompassing list by any means but here's my two cents:

Daily-

Speak with every member of your front end team to get to know them. Learn what motivates a cashier to get red cards and a cart attendant to clean up vomit when needed. Along those lines, don't expect your team to do anything you don't do on a consistent basis.

Keep your team informed with what is going on in the store and how it will impact them. Be honest about hours and staffing right now and be sure they know what coupons are in this week's ad. A well informed, knowledgeable team will provide great service.

Weekly-

Track your stores supply usage and place a SAP order every Monday. People get pissed when you run out of a bag size and team members will silently it judge you if you have to get receipt tape from another store. Don't go overboard, but do your best to not run out of supplies.

Know your goals each week and communicate them to your team. How many redcards do you need in a week, in a day, from each cashier? Set the expectations by getting everyone involved.

Monthly-

Celebrate successes as much as possible. Maybe it's the TM who got 8 redcards or it's the TM who got their first one ever. Be positive and show the team you care.

Confront issues when needed. Whether it's an attendance problem or a performance issue, it will not get any better unless you have the hard conversations with your team. No body likes them, but if done correctly they will keep your team moving inn the right direction.

Might not be what your looking for but that's the backbone of training I'm trying to instill on the two new GSTLs in my store right now.

A lot of your routines and role will depend on your store's org chart and overall culture.

If you're in a higher org chart and your ETL-GE is only over GE, that should take some of the day-to-day off you. If that were the case, your store would likely have two or more GSTLs, which helps even more.

Based on your post, I'm going to assume you're the sole GSTL, and your ETL is also over sales floor. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Every ETL-GE/SF I've worked for prioritizes sales floor first, which means you'll essentially need to "assume" the ETL-GE role. ASANTS, but that's just my experience. I know you said there was virtually no training, but did they at least send you to another store to shadow a more experienced GSTL for a few days? If not, I would at least ask your ETL or STL if they could schedule that time for you.

haha this should be a combined AMA. Why would someone WANT to be a GSTL? Sounds like a nightmare, nokiddiegloves. Seriously, cashiering is terrible due to dealing with guests. Being the GSTL is nice being able to not cashier mostly but you still have to deal with the worst guests when a cashier or a GSA can't handle a guest and needs you. So basically- unless you have the pactience of a saint...you get to deal with the worst people who shop at Target. -_-

Besides AP of course. Fuck thieves.

Honestly, sometimes I miss cashiering. That's what I originally started with, but I would love to not have to worry about other people occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back