Archived GSTL What are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I am new to Target (however not at all new to retail) I want to know, from any level, TM, TL, ETL, etc...

What do you expect from your GSTL? What are the best qualities you have experienced, and what are your pet peeves?

I want to be proactive in becoming a good leader, so it would be nice to hear some opinions. I have family members that work for Target, and in general, I get a sense of what works and what doesn't work for me (I've been a Guest Service Lead for a few years in my other jobs...I think that title is referred to as GSA at Target?), but I want to hear from you guys.

Any comments or opinions are welcome :) Thanks!

If you go up to your cashiers and say do you know the benefits of a target red card they will want to punch you in your face

Well I most definitely do not want to be punched. Lol.

Since I am new to Target (however not at all new to retail) I want to know, from any level, TM, TL, ETL, etc...

What do you expect from your GSTL? What are the best qualities you have experienced, and what are your pet peeves?

I want to be proactive in becoming a good leader, so it would be nice to hear some opinions. I have family members that work for Target, and in general, I get a sense of what works and what doesn't work for me (I've been a Guest Service Lead for a few years in my other jobs...I think that title is referred to as GSA at Target?), but I want to hear from you guys.

I look for a GSTL that is strong in Execution. There is a lot that goes on at the check lanes and things change very fast. You need to be able to prioritize, and quickly adapt at anything thats thrown your way. It's important to be very organized and have sold routines. But you also have to have a strong Guest Service attitude too. You'll need to be able to diffuse disgruntled guests who are upset with not only Target, but potentially a Team Member. You'll need to make the situation right for the guest while still maintaining the integrity of the situation. (Regardless of what "The Vibe" tells you, in my opinion). I also look for someone who stands by their decisions and is a motivator of the team/store.....

I look for a GSTL that is strong in Execution. There is a lot that goes on at the check lanes and things change very fast. You need to be able to prioritize, and quickly adapt at anything thats thrown your way. It's important to be very organized and have sold routines. But you also have to have a strong Guest Service attitude too. You'll need to be able to diffuse disgruntled guests who are upset with not only Target, but potentially a Team Member. You'll need to make the situation right for the guest while still maintaining the integrity of the situation. (Regardless of what "The Vibe" tells you, in my opinion). I also look for someone who stands by their decisions and is a motivator of the team/store.....

I would say all of this, but add in someone who is strong with managing talent and engage and inspire others! The nice thing about GSTLs is that there are usually at least 2 per store, so you will end up having two different leadership styles there! For some reason I generally see one who is more of the Thought/Results Leadership (managing execution, solving problems, maximizing productivity)... and the other is focused on Team Leadership (managing talent through coachings and development, relates well to others... generally more "HR" focused with team culture and scheduling)...

Obviously I would prefer a strong leader in every role, but everyone has their strengths and opps, so its nice to balance them out as much as possible!

I haven't started training yet, and I'm not familiar with that term... what is speedweaving?

Speedweaving is moving among the lanes to answer questions, assist cashiers, call depts if info is needed for an item, moving guests out faster by putting their bags in the cart as they finish their trans, directing guests into shorter lines, looking for large items so you can alert the cart attendant to head up for a carry-out, responding to change requests, keying in overrides where needed, moving abandoned carts out of the way so traffic keeps flowing, etc. You're moving around to see & be seen; to anticipate & fix problems before they get big enough to slow people down.
In other words, speedweaving is perpetual motion.

Most likely you will have the biggest team in the store so being able to manage talent and have good routines comes in handy. Still the most feedback I get is that cashiers like communication and solidarity. That is don't flaunt your power and act superior around them...especially at the service desk. If they make a judgement, stick with it

Speedweaving is moving among the lanes to answer questions, assist cashiers, call depts if info is needed for an item, moving guests out faster by putting their bags in the cart as they finish their trans, directing guests into shorter lines, looking for large items so you can alert the cart attendant to head up for a carry-out, responding to change requests, keying in overrides where needed, moving abandoned carts out of the way so traffic keeps flowing, etc. You're moving around to see & be seen; to anticipate & fix problems before they get big enough to slow people down.
In other words, speedweaving is perpetual motion.

This seems like common sense to keep customers and cashiers happy and make check out smooth and quick... so why do some GSTL's have a problem with this? Or what else are they doing that they can't do this? I'm really interested in hearing what all the job entails.

I also hear a lot of people saying that they get frustrated with TL's that go off the floor to do paperwork. What kind of paperwork are they referring to?

Most likely you will have the biggest team in the store so being able to manage talent and have good routines comes in handy. Still the most feedback I get is that cashiers like communication and solidarity. That is don't flaunt your power and act superior around them...especially at the service desk. If they make a judgement, stick with it

Yeah, I'm not a fan of micro-managing or holier-than-thou attitudes... The Golden Rule, ya know.

if you ONLY had to speedweave it wouldn't be a problem. But you have endcaps to set, SSS to keep zoned/stocked, GS to help with, Coachings, etc. You have to be able to multitask and know when and when not to be doing other projects. I NEVER do anything extra between 12-2 and 430-6. So if i'm working on gum and candy and having cashiers help me with it by 1130 we are wrapping up and getting everything cleaned up.
I am lucky and our store has quite a few gsa's so if i need to get off stage i can usually pull a gsa to watch the lanes while i do that. I also know that other stores do the schedule while they are scheduled as a GSTL but my full 8 hour shift on schedule day is off stage. I use that day to do the schedule, my vibe walk, catch up on emails, write up coachings, mentor two gsa's, and whatever else i can cram into that day.
Once you are trained you'll need to get into a routine and figure out when you can get those extra things done.
A lot of people will complain and moan when you call for a back up but remember that it's your job to provide great guest service and a fast check out is one of your goals. If you need a back up and you've been calling them all day it doesn't matter. You still need one. Should you be calling for a back up and just standing in front of the lanes? Heck no! Speedweaving is KEY. redeye nailed speedweaving exactly as it should be.

Hope some of that helps!

It does help! I expect most of these things, but I'm glad for the insight! How much leeway are you given as a GSTL to set up your own routine? I know in my store I will be the only GSTL.

I have an awesome ETL and she kind of lets me do whatever i want in regards to setting up things how i want them. I also kind of went with the flow in the beginning to see how i could slowly change things. We've had a lot of drama on the front end in the past year and the cashiers have really had to adapt to some big changes with team members and leaders so my ETL was willing to let me do and try whatever if it made things better.

The one BIG thing i will tell you is DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT let cashiers walk all over you. Do not let them create drama or play you against other leaders. I feel like since there are so many people in your workcenter compared to most others that it's easier for people to create drama and you only have so much time so squash that crap as soon as it comes up!
During 4th quarter i was the only GSTL (with a team of 72) and i spent way too much energy and time trying to fix drama that was created by cashiers and the former gstl.

I wish I had a full 8 hour shift off stage! We are expected to do all the paperwork in a 2 hour overlap a few times a week...minus writing the schedule though. It's all time management...

If you go up to your cashiers and say do you know the benefits of a target red card they will want to punch you in your face

This. Red Cards are something that is being pushed universally. Every store is expected to get them and meet (or "preferably" exceed) a goal. Your ETL-GE and/or your STL will get on your case if your team is not meeting its goals. Make sure cashiers and service desk TMs are aware of how important Red Cards are without forcing the issue. Engage and inspire, don't just coach if you're not getting results.

There are a multitude of threads here relating to Red Cards and ways to get guests to open them without risking that [metaphorical] punch in the face. Use the search bar and Similar Threads function - they're here to help you, as are we.

I wish I had a full 8 hour shift off stage! We are expected to do all the paperwork in a 2 hour overlap a few times a week...minus writing the schedule though. It's all time management...

we don't have any overlaps during the week. MAYBE 15 minutes on the weekend if we're lucky but it's usually use hoping that the other person clocks in 5 minutes early and we leave 5 minutes late just to get 10 minutes to discuss anything we need to and run out the door.

This. Red Cards are something that is being pushed universally. Every store is expected to get them and meet (or "preferably" exceed) a goal. Your ETL-GE and/or your STL will get on your case if your team is not meeting its goals. Make sure cashiers and service desk TMs are aware of how important Red Cards are without forcing the issue. Engage and inspire, don't just coach if you're not getting results.

There are a multitude of threads here relating to Red Cards and ways to get guests to open them without risking that [metaphorical] punch in the face. Use the search bar and Similar Threads function - they're here to help you, as are we.

I've actually worked for a couple big retailers that pushed credit cards when I was a cashier, so thankfully, I know the line of inspiring to do a job, and giving the tools and lingo, versus just smacking someone on the hand, being pushy and yet not providing a way to get results.

I'm actually interested in learning about the Red Card, because it sounds like there are two different kinds offered, one like a debit card? I'm sure I will hear all about it in training. And thanks for the advice to look at those threads. It'll be nice to be able to come here after training to reiterate things that I will be learning.

AND, while I know it is tough to avoid drama, thankfully I've managed to avoid it over the years. I'm really really hoping I just don't get a lot of backlash being an "outsider."

The above advice is pretty spot (pun intended) on. Seeing as I am a GSTL I guess I really can't say what I look for in a GSTL because that would just be weird. If you have any questions during your training, or even in general about the front end, feel free to PM me. I've done pretty much everything at the front seeing as I have gone from cart attendant to guest service to GSA to GSTL. My photo knowledge isn't perfect though and our lab is going dry so what I did know about it is going out the window.

I really appreciate it :) I'm glad to see there are a few GSTL's on here!

See, I'm completely against you on that. Even though I was a GSA, I had no problem going to a cashier (with no guests in line), turn their light off, and quiz them. I didn't have an angry look on my face, wasn't rude... If I had noticed they weren't doing BOB/LISA, I'd go over and ask if they've seen Bob or Lisa lately. If they said no, I'd ask them to make sure to keep an eye out for them, and wink. Likewise, I'd turn a light off and grill them on redcards, especially if they were within their first 3-4 weeks of working there. If you have the kind of rapport where they know you're trying to help them do better, you're fine. I'd even grill my "veteran" cashiers on electronics attachments, etc.

*And, my team loved me.

Last edited:
As an ETL...

My pet peeve is GSTL's who become desensitized to the feelings of guests. Having worked 4th quarter covering GSTL myself, I can see how easy it is to become so focused on tasks that when I had to deal with guests I didn't interact with them in the usual FFF manner! It's VERY difficult to get back into the usual vibe, but look at it this way: you're essentially a marketing manager. You're a staple in ensuring that value is communicated to our guests. Our main goal in demonstrating that value is to establish long-term relationships with each and every guest. We are NOT in the sales business, we are part of a corporation that uses marketing techniques. As a corporation we recognize the fact that missing out on a few sales or giving away a few freebies is much better in the long run than losing a guest. Why? Because that guest will return time and time again, eventually paying us back in the revenue lost through subsidies.

So, what makes a good GSTL? Someone who ensures that those long-term relationships are established with our guests, no matter how rude or nasty they can get. And that, is essentially every GSTL core role summed up into one statement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back