Guest advocates

Since getting rid of GSA's, has anyone else's store had a problem with now everyone thinking they are in charge? In the last few months we have had a lot of young adults that were hired. Almost all of them think they either are in charge, don't have to do anything, or only think they should be at guest service vs a regular register. They literally do nothing but stand around on their phones, talking, or hiding behind guest service wall. Our GSTL's both see this and do absolutely nothing. Then we have the 45+ age workers who are working their butts off. These young adults won't even go outside and help with carts, yet the older workers are out there busting their butts.

If the SETL isn't going to do anything about it, it's likely there's nothing you can do about it. You can try speaking to the ETL-SE or the SD, but ultimately as a TM it's your responsibility to worry about what you're doing. Stressing over what others are doing is a waste of your time.

There's things in life you can control, and there's things in life you can't control.

It's important to understand which fall in the latter category, and to not let those things bother you.

That isn't a "rid of GSA" problem. That's an entitlement problem that your SETL and ETL-SE need to address.
We still have a few knowledgeable GAs who were once GSAs, and contrary to Modernization standards, we still use them as such (cash office, watch the lanes, Karen throwing a tantrum at Guest Service and wants a manager calls, supervisor overrides, etc.) but they know damn well they're GAs just like everyone else in the front end.

This is why we rotate them. I get GSA shifts, SCO shifts, GS shifts, and Checkout Advocate shifts all week, even split workcenter shifts, I guess to keep me and the rest of the team humble lol. But it is paramount that no Advocate gets to feeling any task is below them. Cleanup on B32? "Got it, I'm assisting. Tell me the spill type so I can get the right materials and you stay and guard for me there." Restroom follow-up is needed? "On it."

Need a cart party/blitz because FOS Attendant called out? Miss me with that bullsh-- lol just kidding let me grab a reflective vest.

Reflective vest? People actually wear those? Never once wore one when getting carts.

I do think the problem actually is a "lack of GSA" problem though to some regard. Lack of GSA isn't the root problem. The root problem is those employees, but it likely is manifesting the way it is due to a lack of GSA's.

Some people only work when they are being watched by a supervisor, without one around they slack off. Therefore removing a supervisor from an area leads to problems, even if the solution isn't necessarily to put the supervisor back in place.

Reflective vest? People actually wear those? Never once wore one when getting carts.

I do think the problem actually is a "lack of GSA" problem though to some regard. Lack of GSA isn't the root problem. The root problem is those employees, but it likely is manifesting the way it is due to a lack of GSA's.

Some people only work when they are being watched by a supervisor, without one around they slack off. Therefore removing a supervisor from an area leads to problems, even if the solution isn't necessarily to put the supervisor back in place.
As a cart...er...F.O.S.A, I do wear them.

I don't think most of our cart attendants wore them, I certainly never did on the rare occasions when I'd get scheduled as a cart attendant. I also don't recall ever seeing a TL or higher that wore one when going out to get carts. Even our STL would go out to get carts, but never with a vest on.

We all get the same type of shifts, none are different. And none of these people were former GSA's.

Yes, I have seen this happening in our store. While we have some really great young tm's that are great at helping out at the front end, I have noticed A LOT of standing around and phone viewing when the SETL and ETL are not there at night. We've also had some issues with some of the younger tm's not wanting to listen to another younger tm who is helping run the front.

At my store we have a hierarchy. Front end ETL, front end TL’s, person running self-check out, person running guess service, cart attendant, and then cashier. Everyone sticks with it really well. If anyone falls out of line, there going to have some problems coming there way.

Our GSTL's both see this and do absolutely nothing.

this is your problem

it has nothing to do with not having gsas anymore

editing my post to say: people talk about gsas like somehow they were the hallowed gods and reasons why any frontend worked effectively

no. you had bad leadership, which is why the people who werent supposed to be leaders were leading your team

Last edited:
Since getting rid of GSA's, has anyone else's store had a problem with now everyone thinking they are in charge? In the last few months we have had a lot of young adults that were hired. Almost all of them think they either are in charge, don't have to do anything, or only think they should be at guest service vs a regular register. They literally do nothing but stand around on their phones, talking, or hiding behind guest service wall. Our GSTL's both see this and do absolutely nothing. Then we have the 45+ age workers who are working their butts off. These young adults won't even go outside and help with carts, yet the older workers are out there busting their butts.

Yes, we are having that problem. I'd wonder if you work at my store, but I'd bet it is happening at many stores. Our ETL is working on fixing this.

Back