Archived Guest decides against buying used item at checklanes. What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interrobang

Assistant Banana Orderer
One of our cashiers told me that a guest the other day came up to the register with Kleenex, opened the box in front of her, proceeded to use a few tissues, and handed the box to her. The cheap ass guest said they "didn't want to buy it anymore." The cashier was so taken aback, she didn't know what to do other than accept the opened box of tissue.
I told her I would have thrown the box back at said guest's face charged the guest for the box of Kleenex.
What would you do?

More than likely the same thing cashier did. I would be in shock that anyone would do that. Another example of why I am so thankful I don't work on the front end. Hats off to those that do

Throw the box of tissues at her, force her to pay for them or the cops will be called for theft. VIBE it out, of course! Thank the guest for sampling our tissues, offer her other brands and even throw away the used ones for her. Then give her an apology coupon for the inconvenience.

as a cashier you tend to build this kind of wall where whatever happens that shocks you just doesn't shock you anymore. i would have charged them for it whether they like it or not. especially if they had used it in front of my face. that's so disrespectful

I have seen young kids go munching on the candy without paying.

But adults just outright opening and using items instore and not paying is offensive.

So I say call the LOD, AP, and GSTL over and tell them the story before the guest leaves. Put them in charge of dealing with the guest. Last thing you want is a guest yelling and screaming and holding up the line.

Its kind of the same thing as guests trying out nail polish and marking up the Cosmetic shelves.

Last edited:
They'd be paying for it, or leaving without buying anything, but I wouldn't let them do that and then buy other shit at the same time.

In market yesterday I had a guy come over while I was culling berries, ask if he needs any help, he says he just wants to get some blueberries. Walk a little ways away, out of the corner of my eye I see him open up the container, eat a few then put it back and grab a different one (which he decided he would buy). :confused:

You know those little rubbery Disney figures in toys right now? They feel weird to play with, and they break super easily.

A guest came through my line with one last week, I was just getting to the end of the order and about to ask her about it (it was still in her hand) and the thing popped, with those bead things going every where. She turned around and tried to through it in the trash, but I made her dig it out and hand it to me (we have to defect it out). I smiled sweetly and asked if they wanted us to get them a new one. "No," she replied, "we weren't going to buy it, we were just carrying it around to play with it." Good f-ing grief.

Honestly, my STL is so afraid of corporate, we would have pretty much done what flabbergasted mentioned, but we certainly wouldn't have made them buy the box or gotten ap involved for a couple of dollars.

I hated it when we had the self-serve bulk candy. People would walk around the store eating the candy & if drove me crazy! I've had people hand me things at the register they changed their minds about buying. They never warn you if it's wet with baby slobber. *shudder*

But adults just outright opening and using items instore and not paying is offensive.

So I say call the LOD, AP, and GSTL over and tell them the story before the guest leaves. Put them in charge of dealing with the guest. Last thing you want is a guest yelling and screaming and holding up the line.

Its kind of the same thing as guests trying out nail polish and marking up the Cosmetic shelves.

We have adhesive shelf coverings to prevent that.

Doesn't bother me as much. I'll still call someone out if they do it though.

I found an open jar of Mayo with a plastic spoon in it once with a note taped to it that said, sorry I got hungry...

After gagging a few times.. I wasn't even mad..

To this day i think it was a TM making jokes for me.

You guys are all so mean and deserve to apologize!
These thoughts would never happen to the employee's in my store!
Guest come FIRST!
YOUR THOUGHTS COME LAST! You get paid for this! It's expected
why are you complaining!!!

"Guest comes first" doesn't mean guests can do whatever they wish. A guest can't for example expose themselves to a team member and justify it because they're the guest, nor do the TM's thoughts come last. Perhaps we wouldn't complain if we weren't getting paid minimum wage for it.

I want to mark on THEM with nail polish... f******! Makes our whole backwall of nailcare look like shit.

languageslang.gif

You guys are all so mean and deserve to apologize!
These thoughts would never happen to the employee's in my store!
Guest come FIRST!
YOUR THOUGHTS COME LAST! You get paid for this! It's expected
why are you complaining!!!
i don't get pain enough to care about the guests

One of our cashiers told me that a guest the other day came up to the register with Kleenex, opened the box in front of her, proceeded to use a few tissues, and handed the box to her. The cheap ass guest said they "didn't want to buy it anymore." The cashier was so taken aback, she didn't know what to do other than accept the opened box of tissue.
I told her I would have thrown the box back at said guest's face charged the guest for the box of Kleenex.
What would you do?
You should of called AP ASAP.

"I'm SO sorry sir! I'm afraid we have this policy that unless the item is defective, you have to pay for it if you use it. I know it's super inconvenient, but since we have these cameras *points* over every register and they record everything I could get in real trouble if I didn't charge you for this box of tissues. SORRY!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back