Archived Guest Service Closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlexedDiva

Fiery GSA
Everyone at my work center hates closing. I hate it sometimes ( Depending on the Closing GSTL )

So when I close I get overwhelmed with the amount of stuff I have to do. I.E. Process damages , Closing boxes , Sorting , branding etc before 11:45p it's impossible

Just wondering what are some of you guys closing routines ?

Some stores will allow you to process the defective boxes periodically throughout the day. If it all falls on you at the end, ask the GSTL/GSA for help. Sometimes the cart attendant likes to help with these. Our cart attendants are great at helping with whatever-they even help clean the cafe and take trash.

Holy, that didn't help at all -_-

let me rephrase the question.

one closer , quicker + efficient way to close , any routines?

if it were possible I would've done it :(

my store likes to have only one person running GS each shift. it's unfair. so I'm asking how to keep up .

It's been yrs since I've closed service desk so I'm not an authority but there's plenty on here who are.
Just remember ASANTS (all stores are not the same).

My store also only runs on 1 SDTM at a time, usually just an opener and a closer. We used to schedule a mid as well (11-7) but we threw that shift out the window after 4th quarter. Our closer is responsible for taking Salvage, CRC, ESIM back, getting new defect bins for the morning crew, tidying up, doing last-minute sorting, etc., all by a half hour after close. My best advice is to start much of your closing procedures early, at 10:30 for example if your store closes at 11. Set up your carts with everything that needs to be taken to the backroom, that way when the store closes it's all ready to go.

I generally refrain from dispensing advice related to specific Service Desk procedures such as closing, as it seems to vary *a lot* from store to store. So this is how my store does it; feel free to ignore me if your closing is nothing like this. As an example, some stores have the LOD take Salvage and CRC back. Ours has the SDTM do it.

Sometimes at my store, we have no one at the service desk. Gsa is covering front end & service desk.

This happens at my store as well, but my STL wants this to end. New rule going forward is that there must be two separate people watching the lanes and covering the desk at all times. No double coverage whatsoever. That would be fine if it were practical, but we just don't have enough people.

If we have a closing CA, he takes the salvage to the BR.
I know that they'll have the GSA/GSTL get on the walkie during the last 30 to call depts up to get their abandons.

Closing service desk really isn't hard... What is causing you so much trouble? Maybe I can offer some advice. I closed my salvage/CRC at 945 when I used to be service desk and everything else was done before that. By 10pm I was zoning the card wall, check lanes, and one spot.

I start my defects when I come back from lunch sometime between 7:30-9 and do it in between guestS so I finish before 10. I do it in this order: ESIM, TOSS, CRC, Salvage. Easiest to hardest. The more you close the faster you get. It takes anyone else who closes twice as long as I do because I have done it the longest. Best tip I can give you, is to look at the dcpi on the slip if you're having a hard time finding an item on the list. Sometimes I can't spot it in the jumble of letters, but it will pop on the dcpis that are listed next to it.

Our one spot is always slammed until 9:30-10 so I can't even try to zone or do go backs for it until then so I can get it done the fastest.

Our cleaning company vaccuums our service desk so as long as it gets wiped down it is cleaned up according to management.

If you're responsible for putting up the ad in the case on Saturday night, I find making sure it's in numerical order and pre folded makes it easier to put up to get started right at close.

At my store, the service desk TMs work on re-shop and defectives between guests throughout the day. There's just way too much stuff to leave it all for the end of the night. And anything that doesn't get done before closing has to be done the next morning. Our cart attendants are responsible for bringing defectives to receiving, and if a box gets filled and audited at any point in the day, a cart attendant brings it back as soon as he/she can so things don't accumulate.

We audit our Salvage and CRC as we go along throughout the day. So when it comes time for the closer to get everything ready for the cart attendant to take back, all they have to do is close the cart out and tape up the box. Sometimes we get slammed and we still can't keep up, but it helps a lot.

I always zone Fan Central and baseball cards first (before close) and leave One Spot for last. One Spot is the place that's quickest to get messed up, it's almost pointless to zone over there with guests still in the store.

At my store, the service desk TMs work on re-shop and defectives between guests throughout the day. There's just way too much stuff to leave it all for the end of the night. And anything that doesn't get done before closing has to be done the next morning. Our cart attendants are responsible for bringing defectives to receiving, and if a box gets filled and audited at any point in the day, a cart attendant brings it back as soon as he/she can so things don't accumulate.
Some stores will allow you to process the defective boxes periodically throughout the day. If it all falls on you at the end, ask the GSTL/GSA for help. Sometimes the cart attendant likes to help with these. Our cart attendants are great at helping with whatever-they even help clean the cafe and take trash.
any store can process defects whenever. it really boils down to when can you get a pda? how much space do you have for the defects?

if it were possible I would've done it :(

my store likes to have only one person running GS each shift. it's unfair. so I'm asking how to keep up .
No, unfair is when the closing GS tm calls out and they can't find anyone to come in. An lod constantly yelling because the amount of reshop is insane. And all you have is a partially trained cashier over there who can't even accept payments yet.

If you need help getting yourself organized, ask others who work at GS how they do it.

We never have more then one person at guest service unless it's during holiday season.

No, unfair is when the closing GS tm calls out and they can't find anyone to come in. An lod constantly yelling because the amount of reshop is insane. And all you have is a partially trained cashier over there who can't even accept payments yet.

If you need help getting yourself organized, ask others who work at GS how they do it.

We never have more then one person at guest service unless it's during holiday season.

Our store is fairly new. Not even a year old. So a Monday looks like a Saturday.

GsTMs are transferring to other work centers because GS can get over whelming. So those shifts are put on me.

This is my routine.

in between guests I process damages until 10pm (GSTLs & LODs always complain about the amount of damage carts left at the end of the night) @ 10 pm I walkie for all sections to bring their Abandons "Foreigns" to check lane 16 to be sorted there. I don't even touch the ESIMS that's not going to be done under 45 mins. ALSO I have to call over GSTL to look through the CRC box in order to close it. Brand Brand Brand. Then continue damaging.
when it's time to go. I would leave a Status note for the opening GSTM .

A lot of you guys tips are great. I would definitely try things differently.

I'm a bit confused with what you do for damaged. At my store, there isn't much to do. First, stuff should be damaged as it comes through from guests and TMs. As it's done, put the sticker on it and toss it in the right bin (or we complain behind your back for the rest of our lives).

Toss stuff gets taken out of a bin and put into a cart (if not, we never see the bin again).
ESIM - we take the bin and put it in a cart. Everything is already bagged from earlier handling and ready to be sorted in back.
CRC - list is audited and items put in an unsealed box.
Defective Salvage - put in a box either as the bin gets full or we have time throughout the day so it shouldn't be too overwhelming.
Missed Salvage - no room for an actual bin so it is put in the box as it comes through.
Vendor pick up - toss the bin in a cart and pray it comes back.
Donate - also no room for an actual bin so it is put in a box as it comes through.

As things get filled during the day, we cart it up and ship it out as time permits. We then call the LOD who is responsible for taking the stuff to the backroom and making it disappear. We are a 10pm store and I aim to have defectives completely done by no later than 8:30.

Only things that are full are ever sent back...if there's just a few items, we carry it over to the next day. Of course some TMs' judgement on what is a few items leaves something to be desired. <_<

I'm surprised your new store is allowing tm's to transfer to other departments. Isn't that leaving your dept understaffed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back