Archived Guest service loophole

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetargetman

I am a Guest once again!
at my Target the guest service was moved to next to the check lanes to make room for starbucks. well the guest service counter still does returns but now it does checkout for 10 items for less well many of the bitchy guest think because we do not have a sign they can buy an over flowing cart if they want to or if they are returning 1 small item. I have tried very politely explaining to them things did not change just because it moved and they have plenty of other open registers to go to but they always say "but it says check out" I really wish corporate would allow us to put a sign up because it is ridiculous that some days I am the only GS team member manning GS and I have a long line of people only returning who cant because of an inconsiderate Jackass. I know I am kind of ranting but do any of you agree about this that there should be a sign saying 10 items or less?

I bugged my ETL_GE constantly until she finally got our sft to change the sign, when we had the IGS model..

At a grocery store, I once got stuck behind some shopper who took her 40 items to the express lane. She divided them up into 4 orders to beat the 10 item limit. Not only that, she paid for each purchase with a check. Not only that, she didn't start writing any of the checks until the transaction had completed. I still don't know why the cashier allowed this.

I do not understand how they think that is good to allow these guests to take advantage of it. if corporate thinks guest will use their brains... well guests DONT always use their brains. I would rather lose a guest who tries checking a massive shopping trip out at the GS because of a loophole than lose 20 guests returning 1 item who cant because they are behind that person. Guest service's main function is returns... NOT check out.

We still have a regular guest services, so if the order is big, I turn them away because with the lack of bag holders, we simply aren't set up for that. Most guests are okay with it. But some get needlessly bitchy.
yes indeed Retail Girl. I have even told guests that it is out of respect for guests who are only returning that I can not take you up here and I do not have the space needed.

We tried moving Guest Service to the checklanes last year but it was an awful mess. Someone just trying to make a payment or return one item ALWAYS got stuck behind someone with a cart full of groceries. The guests were livid and complained so much, we thankfully moved it back after about two months.

We have a store in our district with IGS. It's also a mall store so the IGS registers are typically the only ones open on that level.

at my Target the guest service was moved to next to the check lanes to make room for starbucks. well the guest service counter still does returns but now it does checkout for 10 items for less

10 items or less according to who?

We have iGS, and there is no such limit, we regularly get people with entire carts, we might not like it, but we suck it up.

Just because you think there should be a 10 item limit doesn't mean there is one. Without signage, in fact, said limit doesn't exist.

The IGS at a store here is the express lane and it does say 10 items or less... i've never seen anyone there with a full cart.

at my Target the guest service was moved to next to the check lanes to make room for starbucks. well the guest service counter still does returns but now it does checkout for 10 items for less

10 items or less according to who?

We have iGS, and there is no such limit, we regularly get people with entire carts, we might not like it, but we suck it up.

Just because you think there should be a 10 item limit doesn't mean there is one. Without signage, in fact, said limit doesn't exist.
well it was according to management and hoping the guests would get the idea. We cant have someone buying an overflowing cart and holding up a line of people who cant do something that can only be done at GS. I mean think of it like this, there are multiple checkouts but only one place to do returns, is that really fair to keep guests waiting who cant do the return anyplace else?

Last edited:
My store is big on the idea that those wanting to give us money come first. Those who want to subtract from our sales can wait. I'm not sure how much I agree with this, but there you have it.

well it was according to management and hoping the guests would get the idea. We cant have someone buying an overflowing cart and holding up a line of people who cant do something that can only be done at GS.

You can't? We do just that on a regular basis at my store.

Anyone expecting the line at the service desk to inherently be quicker than the others isn't in touch with reality. Sure, many returns are quick and easy, but the service desk is also typically where all the "problem" orders go, the ones that can take 5-10+ minutes to solve because they're too complicated for most of the cashiers to handle and require decision-making ability rather than simply scanning the items and bagging them.

Based on your idea that you can't have the line held up, then from now on purchase orders, extreme couponers, price matches, FF orders, bounty'ers, and all other guests with unusual needs should all avoid the service desk lest they tie up the people doing simple returns.[/QUOTE]

well it was according to management and hoping the guests would get the idea. We cant have someone buying an overflowing cart and holding up a line of people who cant do something that can only be done at GS.

You can't? We do just that on a regular basis at my store.

Anyone expecting the line at the service desk to inherently be quicker than the others isn't in touch with reality. Sure, many returns are quick and easy, but the service desk is also typically where all the "problem" orders go, the ones that can take 5-10+ minutes to solve because they're too complicated for most of the cashiers to handle and require decision-making ability rather than simply scanning the items and bagging them.

Based on your idea that you can't have the line held up, then from now on purchase orders, extreme couponers, price matches, FF orders, bounty'ers, and all other guests with unusual needs should all avoid the service desk lest they tie up the people doing simple returns.
[/QUOTE]
no Nauzhror what I was saying is that a person wanting to check out with a overflowing cart should do so at a register with the space. all other things that can only be done at the guest service and with the exception of the "complicated" transactions are "problems' should be done at guest service. I am sorry if I sounded hostile, I was not I was just trying to explain my prospective a little better. :)

Last edited:
If anyone ever "politely" explained that just because it moved that didn't make a checklane i would a) walkout and b) talk to a manager. Even if they had a sign up I would find it rude because your basicially calling out my intelligence, and well I may be an idiot but my sale is contributing to your salary.

Who cares how many freaking items they have. Get over it and move on with your lives.

If anyone ever "politely" explained that just because it moved that didn't make a checklane i would a) walkout and b) talk to a manager. Even if they had a sign up

If there's a sign up, and you're going to get angry for it being pointed out to you then you're an overly-entitled fuckwit who I'd prefer to have take their business elsewhere.

If anyone ever "politely" explained that just because it moved that didn't make a checklane i would a) walkout and b) talk to a manager. Even if they had a sign up I would find it rude because your basicially calling out my intelligence, and well I may be an idiot but my sale is contributing to your salary.

Who cares how many freaking items they have. Get over it and move on with your lives.
well if you are coming to a clearly too small area that has no belt and clearly is not made to take your stuff when there are clearly other lanes open that can take your load... than yea I think you are an entitled dumbass for coming to GS to check out with all that stuff.

GS should NOT have to require a sign for people to get it... there are other places like FA, Starbucks, Electronics. that do not have a sign and yet bitchy entitled guests do not try bringing up an overflowing cart to them for checkout.

GS should NOT have to require a sign for people to get it... there are other places like FA, Starbucks, Electronics. that do not have a sign and yet bitchy entitled guests do not try bringing up an overflowing cart to them for checkout.

I feel as though one of our members who works in the pharmacy would beg to differ.

Depends what signs there are IMO.

For example at my store, GS has a sign that says "Checkout and Returns", it does not say 10 item limit, etc. It does however explicitly say checkout, so if a guest comes up with a heaping cart, it might be annoying, but I don't think they should be turned away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back