Archived Guest service loophole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope my store doesn't get IGS anytime soon. As of now people with small amounts of items get sent to guest service to checkout when there are no lines at guest service but the lanes are roughly 1 + 3. If we do get remodeled I can see the space guest service occupies becoming starbucks. Maybe I'll just fully transfer over there if that happens. The whole idea seems like it would work much better with a 10 items or less sign so that guests with returns don't have to wait too long for someone who is checking out.

GS should NOT have to require a sign for people to get it... there are other places like FA, Starbucks, Electronics. that do not have a sign and yet bitchy entitled guests do not try bringing up an overflowing cart to them for checkout.
Have you worked electronics? Overflowing carts come through there more than occasionally lol. Some people just don't care and have no clue that we are smiling through gritted teeth when we say, "Of course I can ring up everything!"

Same goes for Rx. Hey, we are trying to fill 300 scripts right now, but we definitely have the time to ring out your $200 basket of groceries when you pick up your 800mg ibuprofen.

Some people are clueless...enough of them that I am confused when I offer to ring someone put at the electronics boat and they tell me that they'll just buy the video game or whatever was locked up and ring up the rest at the front.

If anyone ever "politely" explained that just because it moved that didn't make a checklane i would a) walkout and b) talk to a manager. Even if they had a sign up I would find it rude because your basicially calling out my intelligence, and well I may be an idiot but my sale is contributing to your salary.

Who cares how many freaking items they have. Get over it and move on with your lives.
You clearly have never had to run the service desk alone. After each return I WILL make sure all defectives and other issues are completely taken care of so that's fine but you can wait to get your $300 purchase checked out when I'm done with my actual job.

As a GSA I will politely redirect our guest to a register with an actual belt and more room for their purchase bags to pile up Until they realize that it's time to put the iPhone down cause no one is going to put YOUR crap into your cart.

Service desk has WAY too many important responsibilities to be doing a cashiers job, especially when 99% of the time there is one open with no wait.

If you think I'm insulting your intelegence by asking you to move check lanes so more important things can be dealt with them buying 98 cans of cat food, then I probably am insulting your intelegence.

So sorry to be this way but IGS is a bitch. Worst part about being a GSA.

Btw a tip,
Everytime a guest comes to the service desk with a large purchase, politely ask if they need a return, as if it's just habit to ask that. When the say no act confused but say you'll gladly check them out this time but these registers are typically for returns, payments, and guest concerns that can only be addressed at SD

Ugh worst thing ever I hate it

I know this sounds snotty, but until you can learn to spell intelligence, you probably shouldn't question anyone's intelligence. And if you were my Service Desk TM, you would be promoted to Guest in a heartbeat.

There is NOTHING more important than helping our guests in a Fast, Fun and Friendly manner, even your so very important job of disposing of salvages items. Furthermore, if you are IGS, it IS your *actual* job to check out guests.

Last edited:
I know this sounds snotty, but until you can learn to spell intelligence, you probably shouldn't question anyone's intelligence. And if you were my Service Desk TM, you would be promoted to Guest in a heartbeat.

There is NOTHING more important than helping our guests in a Fast, Fun and Friendly manner, even your so very important job of disposing of salvages items. Furthermore, if you are IGS, it IS your *actual* job to check out guests.

I'm totally fine with the fact that I misspell words, I'm human and I'm three years into a math degree...so I guess it's not as important as you think it is.

If anyone ever "politely" explained that just because it moved that didn't make a checklane i would a) walkout and b) talk to a manager. Even if they had a sign up I would find it rude because your basicially calling out my intelligence, and well I may be an idiot but my sale is contributing to your salary.

Who cares how many freaking items they have. Get over it and move on with your lives.
well if you are coming to a clearly too small area that has no belt and clearly is not made to take your stuff when there are clearly other lanes open that can take your load... than yea I think you are an entitled dumbass for coming to GS to check out with all that stuff.
That does not give you the right to be rude.

I think you'll find good communication is pretty important. There are plenty of CEOs out there who will throw a resume in the trash with grammatical or spelling errors.

I'm totally fine with the fact that I misspell words, I'm human and I'm three years into a math degree...so I guess it's not as important as you think it is.

You spelled it correctly, he was referring to amply's misspelling of the word, not yours.

And yes, I agree with Redman, if your store has iGS, and you work at it, checking out guests is no less a part of your job than defecting out returns is.

And yes Amply, I have worked the service desk, for thousands of hours, usually alone, and yes, I can keep up and keep it clean and tidy while still taking care of guests rather than rudely telling them they need to go to another lane with a belt.

Work on your ability to multi-task if you think it's impossible.

Last edited:
We have a regular service desk and it drives me crazy when team members tell a guest they can't ring them up when they have produce. Just walk the 10 feet to a register and get the weights and ring them up! If it's busy call for a back up while you ring that guest up. It's really not hard.

I think people often forget that the guests are our number 1 priority and we need to be taking care of them. the "important tasks" of guest service are never more important than a guest waiting to be helped for any reason.

We have a regular service desk and it drives me crazy when team members tell a guest they can't ring them up when they have produce. Just walk the 10 feet to a register and get the weights and ring them up! If it's busy call for a back up while you ring that guest up. It's really not hard.

I think people often forget that the guests are our number 1 priority and we need to be taking care of them. the "important tasks" of guest service are never more important than a guest waiting to be helped for any reason.

Unless our service desk is slow they can not ring up produce or alcohol per stl and etl-ge mostly because we have 7 cashiers at any given time between 11 to 9 and if guest are in a hurry gstl will open up a express lane with a cashier already on a express lane or call for back ups. Cant tie up guest service with little things is what my stl always say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back