• Thread starter PlanoDude
  • Start date
  • Replies 16
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PlanoDude

So, today i had a first. Two guests got in to a full-blown fight over god knows what. Nobody had any idea what to do, and of course there was no AP or ETL in the building. Got me thinking, is there a procedure for this? A code word? The LOD just called the police and told us not to interact with them. I was in the backroom at the time, but of course i came out to see what was going on. Over the radio they called a "situation in Electronics".

That happened in our old Food court years ago; they were knocking into tables, chairs, etc.
The FATL grabbed a fire extinguisher & sprayed 'em good 'til AP showed up.
That wouldn't fly these days but it was effective.

Code Green, or "Impending Code Green" maybe? Call the cops & steer other guests away from the area if you can. Sounds like everyone did as they should.

We had that happen a bit over a year ago...the LOD at the time was just providing support coverage and wondered what the heck goes down at our store...and didn't believe me that it wasn't a common occurance. He sort of hid out of sight, and eventually the police were called by us and one of the guests.

We had that happen a bit over a year ago...the LOD at the time was just providing support coverage and wondered what the heck goes down at our store...and didn't believe me that it wasn't a common occurance. He sort of hid out of sight, and eventually the police were called by us and one of the guests.
Gee, how supportive of him...

The most AP should do is try and verbally deescalate the situation if possible and call law enforcement as needed. They really shouldn't get involved. It's too much of a liability issue for Target unless someone's life is at risk.

LODs go through the same verbal de-escalation training that AP goes through. Only difference is AP also does the physical portion. That LOD should have known what to do and at least attempt to calm the situation down before calling the police. Most of the time all you have to say is we are calling the police, I suggest you leave before they get here.

As a team member you are not to interact with hostile guests. Best thing you can do is keep other guests away at a safe distance while calling for AP, then the LOD.

I would have attempted to talk the situation down first and used police as a last option. Too much paperwork. Lol. Even AP is not supposed to physically intervene in those situations.

Last edited:
Sounds about right. . .we have a code blue for a potential situation once its called lod or ap handles it team members keep their distance and go about things the best they can

As a team member you are not to interact with hostile guests.

As a person, I choose not to interact with hostile ANYONE. Not out of fear, I just choose to let hostile people work their own shit out. I'm not going to cater to someone who is getting all uppity and worked up over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back