Archived Guests throwing their full handbaskets at you to dig in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like to be honest, no. I don't take it despite what the higher ups and other TMS say.

If a guests with a full handbasket wlaks up and just slides it to me I am going to stare at them oddly until

A)They realize they need to take their **** out the basket.

B)They ask what's wrong and I do a motion that shows I want them to take out their stuff.

I am not taking that disrespect at all, and even if it is not intentional, which sadly with me it's intentional most of the time, they like to push stuff aside anyway and tell you to gift receipt a thing or check the price of that, and sometimes, we have to start over, but that reason i will keep out that guest was....amazing...

Meh....just because guests are lazy doesn't mean they are disrespectful. As long as their crap (phone, car keys, etc) is out of the basket, I couldn't care less if they don't empty it...except then I'm stuck trying to find a place for the basket, then.

I hate when guests bring stuff up in a container they are going to buy, refuse to empty the container, and tell me to use the container to pack everything in. So then I'm forced to empty the container, and the guests can't figure out the issue while they stand there and stare at me. One guest helped me one day and had to get in "because apparently this is too complicated for you otherwise". Uhh...no...I need to keep track of what has been scanned and what hasn't to protect us both.

Now, if you want to talk problems...let's talk about the guests who do returns and just shove the plastic bag at me, so I have no idea what I am sticking my hand into. Yesterday, I stuck my hand in and pulled out a pair of used (clearly not laundered) panties that the guest didn't realize she had stuck in there. I just set them on the counter and ignored them until she realized what she had done...all the time heavily resisting the urge to go diving for the hand sanitizer.

So until I am reaching into baskets to pull out stuff like that, I figure I have other things I can be annoyed about instead.

Last edited:
Meh....just because guests are lazy doesn't mean they are disrespectful. As long as their crap (phone, car keys, etc) is out of the basket, I couldn't care less if they don't empty it...except then I'm stuck trying to find a place for the basket, then.

I hate when guests bring stuff up in a container they are going to buy, refuse to empty the container, and tell me to use the container to pack everything in. So then I'm forced to empty the container, and the guests can't figure out the issue while they stand there and stare at me. One guest helped me one day and had to get in "because apparently this is too complicated for you otherwise". Uhh...no...I need to keep track of what has been scanned and what hasn't to protect us both.

Now, if you want to talk problems...let's talk about the guests who do returns and just shove the plastic bag at me, so I have no idea what I am sticking my hand into. Yesterday, I stuck my hand in and pulled out a pair of used (clearly not laundered) panties that the guest didn't realize she had stuck in there. I just set them on the counter and ignored them until she realized what she had done...all the time heavily resisting the urge to go diving for the hand sanitizer.

So until I am reaching into baskets to pull out stuff like that, I figure I have other things I can be annoyed about instead.

that is the exact reason i always flip the bag upside down and gently dump it out!

Refusal and/or neglect to empty out the handbaskets: to me, either a sign of laziness or disrespect, which are kissin' cousins in certain social or public settings IMHO. Quite irritating to me, many couldn't care less. The times that that REALLY grates on my nerves in when they plop the handbasket, full to bursting, onto the conveyor belt, and announce, " I left all my stuff in there because I thought it would be easier for you. " Ah. NO, PROBABLY NOT. Why would THAT be EASIER for me? But a little thoughtlessness isn't the end of the world. ( Btw people, if you do that because it is easier for YOU, IT'S OK. I already assumed that lol )

And RE: Retail Girl's adventures with the mystery bags....oh yeah, I've had very similar experiences at other establishments, and it just makes you want to wear a hazmat suit to work sometimes-this is why I always proceed with caution when guests bring in their reuseable bags for their shopping trips...

It's easier to have it out of the basket, because then I can grab things in whatever order I want for bagging purposes.

And yes, every time I have to put stuff in a reusable bag, I try not to think about all the tests that have been done on these bags that show all the salmonella and other bacteria in them because they are never laundered....and I am stuck putting my hands into these things.

I had no problem telling guests to go ahead and dump their items on the belt. If they just started at me, I patiently did it myself. I then directed them to the basket holder that was in front of the checklanes, telling them "oh, you can put the basket in the metal holder right up here" while I rung their items up.

Never had a basket left at my lane.

I prefer that the guests don't empty their own baskets. I take it, dump it and ring away. Most of the time they take one item out at a time and I'm standing there waiting, waiting, waiting, for the next item.

Don't you love it when they let their kids put the items on the belt? Uh, really? The store closes in two hours - can we just get this done without Junior slobbering over every item?

Try emptying a basket at electronics or pharmacy, there is no room..

THANK YOU!!!!!! My personal favorite are the people with a cart FULL of crap that they just start unloading on the counter, like it's a belt. ESPECIALLY when there are 3-4 guests behind them ;) I had one the other day cover the counter, THEN had the nerve to ask me, "Can't you do this quicker?" I looked her straight in the eye and said, "No". She then said, "Well, I'm in a hurry" so I responded, "Well, I can only do one bag at a time so I can either put your shampoo with your fruit or I can do it right". She looked a little dumbfounded, thought about it a second, then said, "No, do what you have to do, I don't want my stuff mixed up". I just smiled :) The guy behind her (he's a "regular" and knows me) told me I "handled her well"~lol!

Lately, we've been getting the *hack, hack* sick guests *cough, cough* that *sneeze* haven't "discovered" the "concept" of *phlegm* using the crook of the elbow to *cough, cough* into and use their hands, THEN use said hand to dig out their $$ and hand it to me. We can't leave it sitting on the counter so we've been going through hand sanitizer like crazy....we also spray the $$ IN the register with alcohol too. Oh, and some guy coughed on his Rx the other day and left us a "gift" on it....it was NASTY!!!! :bad:

Lately, we've been getting the *hack, hack* sick guests *cough, cough* that *sneeze* haven't "discovered" the "concept" of *phlegm* using the crook of the elbow to *cough, cough* into and use their hands, THEN use said hand to dig out their $$ and hand it to me. We can't leave it sitting on the counter so we've been going through hand sanitizer like crazy....we also spray the $$ IN the register with alcohol too. Oh, and some guy coughed on his Rx the other day and left us a "gift" on it....it was NASTY!!!! :bad:

oh that's just wrong God wtf is wrong with these people. seriously sometimes I think they were raised in a barn.

Reminds me of the guest I had this morning who had a nasty cold and was sneezing and coughing all over the place. I had to Perdiem my counter, card reader, etc. Thankfully, the guest behind her in line was patient and even thanked me for cleaning my lane.

I had no problem telling guests to go ahead and dump their items on the belt. If they just started at me, I patiently did it myself. I then directed them to the basket holder that was in front of the checklanes, telling them "oh, you can put the basket in the metal holder right up here" while I rung their items up.

Never had a basket left at my lane.

I'm taking this as a challenge to not have to deal with leftover baskets. It isn't working...usually by the time they set the basket down on the register, there are one or two people behind them, so they can't get back to the front of the lane to put the basket on the floor. Gotta work on that one.

I'm taking this as a challenge to not have to deal with leftover baskets. It isn't working...usually by the time they set the basket down on the register, there are one or two people behind them, so they can't get back to the front of the lane to put the basket on the floor. Gotta work on that one.

I'd rather they just leave it on the belt (empty, obviously). Then I can put it on my front counter so it can be collected rather than having it sit on the floor. (My GSTLs are anal about having baskets on the floor, as they could be a "safety hazard.")

I'd rather they just leave it on the belt (empty, obviously). Then I can put it on my front counter so it can be collected rather than having it sit on the floor. (My GSTLs are anal about having baskets on the floor, as they could be a "safety hazard.")

ULV GM store...all we have are the small counters where we put the bags so the guests can put them in the carts. The baskets have to go at the front of the lanes, because there is no where else for them to go.

ULV GM store...all we have are the small counters where we put the bags so the guests can put them in the carts. The baskets have to go at the front of the lanes, because there is no where else for them to go.

I've recently begun to refer to the front counter as the Tetris Counter. Whenever I have a guest with an overflowing cart of groceries, I pretty much have to play Tetris to keep bags from falling down because the guest is still unloading their cart. And the GSTLs always seem to collect my baskets AFTER the guest leaves the store. :rage:

You know, I don't mind doing that when they are still unloading. I try to be accomodating. But when they stand there and either stare at the overflowing counter or pretend that I'm not running out of room? I have enough room for 4 12 packs of soda laid side by side, and half of a fifth laying crossways at the end of them. That is NOT a lot of room. So eventually I stop and stare at the stuff, and then they wonder why I'm no longer checking them out. Well, my hands are full with bags, I have no where to go with them, and you won't take them...just what do you want me to do?

Oh heck no. I'm very short... barely pushing 5ft, and that's when standing up super straight. With the height of the belt and then the height of the basket... I can't see what's in there to grab into it. So, if you just plop your basket down on my belt, I give a good 5 seconds for you to realize what you should be doing before I pick it up and gently dump that sh*t out on my belt. Same thing with guest services. I HATE when guests just push their tied up little mystery bag over to me... you seriously can't take your item out to show me what you're returning?? You never know what could be in that bag!

You know, I don't mind doing that when they are still unloading. I try to be accomodating. But when they stand there and either stare at the overflowing counter or pretend that I'm not running out of room? I have enough room for 4 12 packs of soda laid side by side, and half of a fifth laying crossways at the end of them. That is NOT a lot of room. So eventually I stop and stare at the stuff, and then they wonder why I'm no longer checking them out. Well, my hands are full with bags, I have no where to go with them, and you won't take them...just what do you want me to do?

I just tell them in a very nice manner "Could you please move your cart up here? I have no room to bag your merchandise." I live in a very heavy Spanish speaking region. Even they get the idea.

I try to be subtle about it so as to avoid being accused of "rudeness," usually by making a remark involving Grocery Tetris. More often than not, the guest laughs and then gets the hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back