MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

Didn't they do this 40% off everything in softlines last BF? If I remember correctly it went rather well. I mean the sales part of it. The part where the depts get thoroughly trashed went, um, less than well? >< Understatement of the century. :p

Didn't they do this 40% off everything in softlines last BF? If I remember correctly it went rather well. I mean the sales part of it. The part where the depts get thoroughly trashed went, um, less than well? >< Understatement of the century. :p
I have flashbacks to how trashed it was last year. There really is no point in even having anyone zone. Just let them have at it until the morning calm about 2 am.

So I am opening the fitting room at my store on Thanksgiving this year. Any tips/advice? I can only imagine what our phones will be like that night.

So I am opening the fitting room at my store on Thanksgiving this year. Any tips/advice? I can only imagine what our phones will be like that night.

I am as well and I can't even imagine what the phones will be like. I'm expecting total insanity. This will be my first Thanksgiving/Black Friday ever. I've never worked or shopped before on this day so I'm imagining all kinds of craziness!

I don't know about other stores, but I know that at my store the fitting room OP will just simply be filling carts and pushing them back to the stockroom into a trailer...

I don't remember the phones being that bad at my store last year. We had a pretty good system down where as soon as a TM knew we were out of something they would tell the operator, then the operator would draw an X over it in the ad. It made it a lot easier since most of the calls were "DO YOU STILL HAVE _____?!"

I don't remember the phones being that bad at my store last year. We had a pretty good system down where as soon as a TM knew we were out of something they would tell the operator, then the operator would draw an X over it in the ad. It made it a lot easier since most of the calls were "DO YOU STILL HAVE _____?!"

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening at my store. When I am operator on your normal average day it is like pulling teeth to get TMs to help me out with guest calls. It's frustrating. It's like:
Me: "Electronics?" "Electronics?" Is there a TM in electronics?" Can SOMEONE help me out in electronics?"
LOD: "Who can take that call?"
Random TM: "Umm, did someone call for electronics, umm?"

You won't be answering the phone, an operator should be in TMSC to answer calls. And no holds, floor item checks for the first few hours. How we do it anyways.

Door busters(TVs) are done through receiving doors. And if the guest wishes this is the only day we load out through the back door, we did last year and it worked well. You have your ticket we have your info, match to ID you get your TV.

You won't be answering the phone, an operator should be in TMSC to answer calls.
Our operator in tmsc (hrtm) is working the sales floor that night so I will be on the phones. I notice they didn't schedule any new/seasonal TMs to work the fitting room that night at my store.

Ugh, I got to vent somewhere. There is a woman working in Softlines that is SO. SLOW. Like, I'm newer, started at the beginning of last week, and I can do JAC, RTW and Performance in a 4 hour time frame no problem, including a 15 break and checking for reshop semi-frequently on really busy days. This woman starts at the clearance, and 4 hours later isn't even close to being halfway done with RTW. She absolutely HAS to take everything off the table and refold every last shirt. Every last pair of jeans. Everything that hangs gets rehung in a certain order. When I leave and see tables are still sloppy, clothing and hangers littering the floor, guests looking disgruntled at the mess...it goes all over me. Mostly because that kind of behavior is what gets people fired, but she's been there for at least 2 years.

How much ya'll wanna bet my seasonal behind gets thrown to the curb in January while she stays and mucks up the place more?

Seasonal hires are a way to bring in fresh blood & get rid of deadwood by increasing the pool, seeing who's performing well, who is interested in staying on afterwards so the low-performers can be performanced out.
Sometimes they stay well-enough below the radar until they're alongside a hard worker; sometimes there may be a unknown backstory.

Seasonal hires are a way to bring in fresh blood & get rid of deadwood by increasing the pool, seeing who's performing well, who is interested in staying on afterwards so the low-performers can be performanced out.

I wish this was how it worked. I get the impression my store doesn't like to keep people around too long. Unless the TM works in a specialized position and is absolutely needed for his/her expertise. Bringing new people in = less hours for the rest of us. I'm honestly starting to panic because of the sheer number of newbies we're hiring, including many who are permanent. According to my leadership, there are plenty of hours to go around right now, but what happens come January?

Come January if life were fair, the deadwood would see their hours cut to the single digits while the outstanding seasonals would get a few more hrs.

She absolutely HAS to take everything off the table and refold every last shirt. Every last pair of jeans. Everything that hangs gets rehung in a certain order.

In a perfect world, that's how everything in softlines would be zoned. Neatly hung/folded/stacked, in size order, and finger-spaced.

Reason #4,983 why I don't softlines: I'd be that team member.

This woman starts at the clearance, and 4 hours later isn't even close to being halfway done with RTW.

This may also be part of the problem. At my store, the clearance is the worst part of RTW. We usually have the closing operator do a pick-up in RTW clearance and zone what they can while whoever is in RTW starts from the front of the store and focuses on racetrack fixtures and tables.

People have been buying those double sweaters.

On the Black Friday in the fitting room thing, last year tsc did phones in my store and I assume it'll be the same this year. But, I don't understand why we even take calls that night in general. Pretty sure holds were a no-no so even if we have something, I can't promise it'll be here when you arrive. Idk, I don't see the point in the phone calls.

I'm also on fitting room as I was last year. I just don't remember it being that bad. The expectation is that I'll answer the phones but then try to field as many questions as I can using My Device. The problem lately has been there are never enough My Devices to go around. I suggested one be reserved for the Fitting Room phone and got shot down. Meanwhile, I was scheduled to come in at 4:30pm on Thanksgiving to help with last minute stocking. I think there are only about 4 of us please leadership. I guess the upside is that I'll be able to grab all the equipment I need before the other team members arrive. It's going to be a long week; I'm scheduled for 45 hours+.

I'm also on fitting room as I was last year. I just don't remember it being that bad. The expectation is that I'll answer the phones but then try to field as many questions as I can using My Device. The problem lately has been there are never enough My Devices to go around. I suggested one be reserved for the Fitting Room phone and got shot down. Meanwhile, I was scheduled to come in at 4:30pm on Thanksgiving to help with last minute stocking. I think there are only about 4 of us please leadership. I guess the upside is that I'll be able to grab all the equipment I need before the other team members arrive. It's going to be a long week; I'm scheduled for 45 hours+.
Most stores dole out equipment so it gets spread (thinly) across the floor on bf. Last year I did electronics/toys reshop with nothing but my own phone...until they realized how much I was doing. Suddenly I had backroom keys, walkie, and lpda...Lol.

I'm also on fitting room as I was last year. It's going to be a long week; I'm scheduled for 45 hours+.

We must be twins lol. When they made the schedule, I had around 37 hours and was pleasantly surprised (normally I want as many hours as possible but I am in grad school and am trying to finish up my semester). Then the ETL-SF asked me to take an extra full shift next week. Now I'm scheduled for 45-46 hours with only one day off. I should've told her I'd take the shift provided I don't have to do fitting room on Thanksgiving night haha

Back