MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

Is there anyone out there doing E2E 100% including pricing. My store is struggling with getting pricing and back-stocking done a regular basis.

We are, but we're constantly playing catch-up with pricing. As far as backstock, we are fine as long as we've got room in the rafters, which can be hard to come by.

As it was told to me, priorities are as follows: guest service/zone, go backs, truck, pricing.

Is there anyone out there doing E2E 100% including pricing. My store is struggling with getting pricing and back-stocking done a regular basis.

As we rolled E2E out..... we found the same issue: Pricing fell behind, as well as backstocking. We had to really scrutinize our routines to find time to work these two processes in. We now have back-stock under control and part of our daily (truck day) routine. Mostly the TMs do their own department backstock; at different intervals so the sales-floor is always staffed. On occasion, the A&A TL will do it for them, so the TMs can remain on the sales-floor for service.
As for pricing? Eh..... still a work in progress. We try to scan/ticket as much as possible on non-truck days. Otherwise, the TMs keep their Zebras in the "price-change" mode on truck days, and scan/ticket merch thru-out the day. Kinda of a "out w/ the old --- in w/ the new" . We never come clean on pricing in each department, each week..... but it's progress.

As we rolled E2E out..... we found the same issue: Pricing fell behind, as well as backstocking. We had to really scrutinize our routines to find time to work these two processes in. We now have back-stock under control and part of our daily (truck day) routine. Mostly the TMs do their own department backstock; at different intervals so the sales-floor is always staffed. On occasion, the A&A TL will do it for them, so the TMs can remain on the sales-floor for service.
As for pricing? Eh..... still a work in progress. We try to scan/ticket as much as possible on non-truck days. Otherwise, the TMs keep their Zebras in the "price-change" mode on truck days, and scan/ticket merch thru-out the day. Kinda of a "out w/ the old --- in w/ the new" . We never come clean on pricing in each department, each week..... but it's progress.
Snort. I have a hard time believing it. Every day girls gets messed up so fast that an hour or two after getting the tables great you go back and it looks like it was never touched, and there's time to scan merchandise while trying to get that hot mess under control as well as backstock? People seem to think that bras and shoes belong on the floor, and shoes are back on the floor as soon as the second guest arrives in shoes after you leave, and doing that plus accessories plus sleep, activewear and socks leaves time for backstock and price change? Reshop is coming in most days so fast that you can't even empty one cart before they call with another one and guests have figured out there's no limit so 10 non-swimwear and 14 swimwear is the average per guest (one or two being the low end, 25-30 being the high end), and the poor FRO is supposed to scan and backstock RTW and mens basics on top of keeping the huge disaster (which messes up faster than girls) of clearance under control, zone RTW, try to keep shrinkage at the FR under control, and do all the horse pocky corporate wants for upselling at the FR? And who calls dibs on the softlines printer when everyone does this? Yeah, sure, two or three people in the late afternoon and evening can manage to do backstock and pricing on top of reshop and zone and helping guests...not.

There is no way one can do all of E2E just with all the little TMs having a change of mindset. Nope. This is an infrastructure problem that goes far, far higher than a store's A&A team.

Our poor softlines team never comes clean, because they can't find any way of managing the workload that works. You know what did work? The old process.

And I'm sure that TMs that worked for Spot in 1987 think that process "worked" too. And it did, for 1987!!!! It would never work now!! THINGS HAVE TO CHANGE. No company is exactly the way it "was" in '87, '97, '07, or '17. Modernization is soooooooo much BIGGER than your store or my store. It's our Corporation. BIG. HUGE. FUTURE.

If you want things to be the way they "used to be", go work for Kmart, or Toys R Us, or Circuit City, or Blockbuster, or ......... oh, wait !! You can't ! Because they're GONE. Why????? Because they didn't..... waaaaaaaaaaait......waaaaaaait ......wait for it...... they didn't CHANGE.

(huh.... my first non-wine inspired "rant".... feels pretty good. must be the three cups of coffee instead.)

And I'm sure that TMs that worked for Spot in 1987 think that process "worked" too. And it did, for 1987!!!! It would never work now!! THINGS HAVE TO CHANGE. No company is exactly the way it "was" in '87, '97, '07, or '17. Modernization is soooooooo much BIGGER than your store or my store. It's our Corporation. BIG. HUGE. FUTURE.

If you want things to be the way they "used to be", go work for Kmart, or Toys R Us, or Circuit City, or Blockbuster, or ......... oh, wait !! You can't ! Because they're GONE. Why????? Because they didn't..... waaaaaaaaaaait......waaaaaaait ......wait for it...... they didn't CHANGE.

(huh.... my first non-wine inspired "rant".... feels pretty good. must be the three cups of coffee instead.)
Which flavor was the red Kool aid? Was it cherry or fruit punch?

I think E2E *could* work, and probably work well. Sure, shoppers habits change over time, so I get that retail needs to change with it to stay alive... but, 1-3 people trying to do everything in a department that accounts for half of the stores sales is just not feasible. E2E can only work IF they give every store the bodies needed to pull it off. o_O

Most of the A&A team at my store could rock setting pogs, pushing truck, backstocking, zoning, pricing, research, reshop, etc. etc. But when there are so few people scheduled, on top of the things we're required to do outside of our own departments every day (namely smart huddle in hardlines & the non stop backup) that's where we run into trouble. Even the most dedicated hard working tm can't do all of what they're asking. :(

It's frustrating and I wish corporate would listen to the people actually working in their stores. I might not love all of the changes they're asking of us, but I'm a hard worker and I'll do what's asked of me if you give me what I NEED to get it done! Bodies on the floor and cashiers up front would be a great start! :rolleyes:

My last shift in SL, while at the fitting room, guests were apologizing to me for handing me clothes to reshop once they saw the mountain on the FR desk...and recommending we use a rack to hang things on back there. lol

I disagree. Blockbuster's problem was that their entire business model was linked to rental of physical media, which was completely obsoleted by the Internet. There's really no way you can "adapt" your business to that kind of change, the same way that a leatherworker who made saddles and bridles for horses could never adapt himself into an automaker when the motor vehicle started to take off.

On the other hand, Target's core business model is still more or less the same as it was in 1987, or in 1967 for that matter. Shopping is shopping. The products and brands have changed some but the basic idea hasn't. You need to buy things, you make a list, you drive to the store, you take a basket, you fill said basket with things on your list, you check out at the registers and you leave. The average shopper in 1967 would have very little difficulty adjusting if they were suddenly teleported into a 2018 Target, except perhaps when it comes to using the Target app.

"Modernization" is basically a buzzword. From what most of us on TBR have personally seen, it's a slick way to package what is really a good old downsizing and layoff plus cost-reduction scheme. In other words, money.

I disagree. Blockbuster's problem was that their entire business model was linked to rental of physical media, which was completely obsoleted by the Internet. There's really no way you can "adapt" your business to that kind of change, the same way that a leatherworker who made saddles and bridles for horses could never adapt himself into an automaker when the motor vehicle started to take off.

On the other hand, Target's core business model is still more or less the same as it was in 1987, or in 1967 for that matter. Shopping is shopping. The products and brands have changed some but the basic idea hasn't. You need to buy things, you make a list, you drive to the store, you take a basket, you fill said basket with things on your list, you check out at the registers and you leave. The average shopper in 1967 would have very little difficulty adjusting if they were suddenly teleported into a 2018 Target, except perhaps when it comes to using the Target app.

"Modernization" is basically a buzzword. From what most of us on TBR have personally seen, it's a slick way to package what is really a good old downsizing and layoff plus cost-reduction scheme. In other words, money.
The only major change is online shopping, and there are ways to get people back even from that. A lot of people need things NOW, that online shopping can't help with. Even for those planning further ahead, coming into a store means actually seeing it, hands on, and not being surprised when that whatchamacallit is too wide for the space or that curtain/dress/rug that advertises itself as emerald green is actually kelly green or whatever. But the way to attract people is to have a clean, well laid out, visually attractive store with full shelves and employees that don't look like the cat dragged them into the path of a semi because they are trying to do far too much with far too little time. To get that, sales floor staff needs to be focused on guests and keeping the sales floor visually appealing, and there's needs to be an infrastructure in place for other people behind the scenes to do the layout and stocking. Target had that and tossed it. Now they want their sales floor staff to do it all with nothing extra given, when they should be doing the opposite by having nothing impeding sales.

gVGQ3iEKTB29HmaxBnmKvGicuGwoUE7Kt5dNHzLngDo.png

found on Reddit

Picking SFS and OPU at my store, I've come to learn that 90% of the time the size indicated on the hanger does not match the size of the garment. Can't imagine guest frustration when shopping.

Picking SFS and OPU at my store, I've come to learn that 90% of the time the size indicated on the hanger does not match the size of the garment. Can't imagine guest frustration when shopping.
Say something to the softlines ETL. More hangers wrong than right, that's not one person that's a whole team training issue. Not hard to carry a few tabs in your pocket for when size is wrong on the floor, no tab is better than a wrong tab, and fixing it at the fitting room is grumbly but just a couple of seconds if the extra tabs are easily accessible.

Under pants sizes it's not quite correct: even number sizes are for misses, odd number sizes for juniors.
Misses would be 00, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, etc.
Juniors would be 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, etc.
And this is why I hate all those moms that come up to me and ask for the "juniors section". C'mon folks, even in my youth they used junior/miss sizing. You all should know that "junior" is the women's section and not separate.

I really hated the woman who sent her teen daughter up twice to me. First time I told the girl we go from girls to women's sizes. I saw her go back to her mom, they say a few words, and then the girl come back and ask "Where is it?" Girl, you have the common sense of a goose if you can ask where it is after I told you we go from girls to women's sizes, and mom, you have the brain of a turnip to send her back after she relayed the answer. Mom, she can learn common sense but at your age your brain is done for.

Edit: The chart only lists men's pants, women's pants are missing.

I think E2E *could* work, and probably work well. Sure, shoppers habits change over time, so I get that retail needs to change with it to stay alive... but, 1-3 people trying to do everything in a department that accounts for half of the stores sales is just not feasible. E2E can only work IF they give every store the bodies needed to pull it off. o_O

Most of the A&A team at my store could rock setting pogs, pushing truck, backstocking, zoning, pricing, research, reshop, etc. etc. But when there are so few people scheduled, on top of the things we're required to do outside of our own departments every day (namely smart huddle in hardlines & the non stop backup) that's where we run into trouble. Even the most dedicated hard working tm can't do all of what they're asking. :(

It's frustrating and I wish corporate would listen to the people actually working in their stores. I might not love all of the changes they're asking of us, but I'm a hard worker and I'll do what's asked of me if you give me what I NEED to get it done! Bodies on the floor and cashiers up front would be a great start! :rolleyes:

I would love if it if the rest of the A&A team was actually trained for POGs and adjacencies just so it doesn't all fall on the few ex Brand TMs that are left. Our new TL can't even do POGs and I'm supposed to be setting them with her next week, but maybe she'll see how strenuous and tedious the tasks are and see why sometimes we don't finish.

And this is why I hate all those moms that come up to me and ask for the "juniors section". C'mon folks, even in my youth they used junior/miss sizing. You all should know that "junior" is the women's section and not separate.

I really hated the woman who sent her teen daughter up twice to me. First time I told the girl we go from girls to women's sizes. I saw her go back to her mom, they say a few words, and then the girl come back and ask "Where is it?" Girl, you have the common sense of a goose if you can ask where it is after I told you we go from girls to women's sizes, and mom, you have the brain of a turnip to send her back after she relayed the answer. Mom, she can learn common sense but at your age your brain is done for.

Edit: The chart only lists men's pants, women's pants are missing.

Juniors is different sizing from misses and the brands should be in one section together, i.e. Xhiliration and Mossimo red. They also do have a different demographic.

There aren't men's pant sizes listed on the chart, only women's.

Juniors is different sizing from misses and the brands should be in one section together, i.e. Xhiliration and Mossimo red. They also do have a different demographic.

An Xhilaration shirt that is size Small fits exactly the same as an AND Small shirt. Same with the bottoms and dresses. The few Denizen jeans that are sized with odd number are the same size as their even number counterpart.

As far as demographics, the bulk of the Xhilaration stuff going into the fitting room and being declared a "keep" when leaving the fitting room are not being carried by teenagers. Most of the women trying on that brand look to be mid twenties to mid thirties.

Actually chart has both. It only lists the waist sizes because that's how mens pants are color coordinated. Mens sizes start right below 18 women's pants.

@Jenna120 Not true. The target audience skews younger and the clothes all runs 1 size small. I'm M in mossimo supply tops, S in AND. L in Juniors bottoms, M in misses. Our numbered pants don't come in Juniors sizes (odd numbers) anymore since adding 00 and 0. The sizing is so close it didn't make much sense. I'd buy 10s in misses and then get an 11 in Juniors

@Jenna120 Not true. The target audience skews younger and the clothes all runs 1 size small. I'm M in mossimo supply tops, S in AND. L in Juniors bottoms, M in misses. Our numbered pants don't come in Juniors sizes (odd numbers) anymore since adding 00 and 0. The sizing is so close it didn't make much sense. I'd buy 10s in misses and then get an 11 in Juniors

I disagree. I see women come out wearing the clothing to show those with them, and I see the sizes and fit. Back when I was a little skinnier I bought two Large Xhilaration dresses and a Large AND skirt, and they fit equally well. While deciding on those, I tried on a lot of Large dresses, skirts and shirts from AND, Mossimo Red and Black and one shirt that was either WWW or Knox Rose. All but that last one fit well.

I disagree. I see women come out wearing the clothing to show those with them, and I see the sizes and fit. Back when I was a little skinnier I bought two Large Xhilaration dresses and a Large AND skirt, and they fit equally well. While deciding on those, I tried on a lot of Large dresses, skirts and shirts from AND, Mossimo Red and Black and one shirt that was either WWW or Knox Rose. All but that last one fit well.

Dresses and skirts are different. I can't get in a xs pant but can get into an xs dress. I've pulled up the size charts for guests before. But I haven't looked in a while so maybe when they reconsilidated brands they got size parity. I still can't squeeze my ass into a s or m xhil legging while I can into a s or m AND one though.

Target.com no longer has a page of the size charts. Have to click a clothing item from each brand and category and look at all the individual charts, but from the 2 I looked at, it looks like size parity maaay have been reached but I'm not gonna look at all of them tonight. Maybe next time I work FR I'll look

But I... Still don't wear the same size in the junior targeted vs women targeted brands. Maybe it's just the styles/fits they're going for for the different age brackets

Actually chart has both. It only lists the waist sizes because that's how mens pants are color coordinated. Mens sizes start right below 18 women's pants.

I guess I glanced over that since men's sizes usually include the inseam, which they stated in that little note. Sometimes women's pants are sized by waist, which I think typically go up to 33 or 34, although I'm not sure if Target has any pants sized like that.

I also mostly agree on the sizing between juniors and women's. It all really depends on the manufacturing but I do usually find I have to size up for juniors in comparison to misses.

Back