Archived Hardline Radio chat phrases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey so this is my first day of training in hardlines and it was awesome. I was hoping to get some help going over the general phrases used over the radio communications though. Like what people say when they are going on or off break or starting their shift, and what the phrase is when you are letting people know you got the phone, etc.
There are just so many it would be so nice to be able to look at it all written out and just get it all straight in my head haha

Thanks everyone! :laugh4:

It varies by store but for the most part is really generic. "LOD(say their name, It's more personal, less Target like;)), Im going on break/lunch" "LOD, I'm back" For phone calls-"I got it" Backup: "i'll go, on my way, i got it" etc.

There's no real textbook way for radio communications.

And welcome!

Here are some of ours...

Stepping on/off the floor:
"This is _____, I'm on the floor"
"This is _____ going on my half 230"
Calls:
"Sporting goods you have a call on 2282. sporting goods, 2282."
"I have the sporting goods call"
Backups and calls:
"I have the seasonal call button"
"I'm headed up from ______ unless anybody is closer"

Welcome to The Break Room.

You're going to find that depending where you are there are going to be some people who are going to use radio terms too.
"10-4" for affirmative.
"What's your 6" for "what's you location."

Last edited:
I worked at a store for a month and everyone pretty much answered everything with "I can do that." Apparently was some sort of program way back when (like the vibe today).

Will have to keep this thread in mind when a HL shift comes around next Sunday...lol it's only my second one ever and in Electronics I don't get to speak on the walkie much unless I'm asking for a pull or something

It really does vary by store. For example, your stores seem to be very professional. In my store, it's kind of...not. "Hey, (LOD's name here), I'm goin' on my 30, I'm about halfway through toys."

"YES, (GSTL name), I've got the call but it won't clear. I've tried using the button and picking it up."

The phrase to say that you'll do something in my store is "copy that" or "got it".

At my store, if you're back room, you don't have to say anything at all. For example:

(I switch to two)
Me: back room
*silence*
*silence*
*silence*
(I flip back to one)
LOD: back room is on two.
Me: I just tried looking there and there is no one there, but it can try again.
(Repeats exercise in futility back on channel two)
(Switches back to channel one)
Me: team, I'm trying to locate someone in the back room who can assist me, can someone please respond?
BRTM: I can help you....

(This is usually where everyone near me bursts out laughing at me because I'm so frustrated I want to strangle someone).

That's why when the backroom, for some reason, has 2 radios, you get to play the game "can the BRTM acknowledge the radio with a "go ahead" before the LOD tells the TM to go to channel 2?"

At my store we announce our comings and goings. Depending on which workzone we are in, it can be:

"Hardlines this is (name), I am on the floor"

"This is (name) in Electronics, I am on the floor"

Other phrases:

"I have that call box"

"Thank you, I have the call"

"I need one backup to electronics please, one back up to electronics"

"Can someone please help out with that call/call box, I am currently with a guest"

etc...

Welcome to The Break Room.

You're going to find that depending where you are there are going to be some people who are going to use radio terms too.
"10-4" for affirmative.
"What's your 6" for "what's you location."

I believe "What's your 20" is for location.

You're right Electronics Man.
It's "What's your 20?"
With "I'm on your 6." as in I'm coming up the aisle towards you.

I didn't realize I'd been out that long.

Code Pink for an attractive female in viewing distance to announce to other TMs .. Actually got that from an ETL at my old store who would call it out when he was the only closer haha. Younger guy in his 20s, would call them out to me and others fairly often. He is no longer with the company.

Code Pink for an attractive female in viewing distance to announce to other TMs .. Actually got that from an ETL at my old store who would call it out when he was the only closer haha. Younger guy in his 20s, would call them out to me and others fairly often. He is no longer with the company.

Other "unofficial" codes I've heard...

Code Brown. Fecal matter in the restroom and/or fitting room that needs to be cleaned. "Cart attendant, can you respond to a code brown in the men's room?"

Code Yellow. Urine in the in the restroom and/or fitting room that needs to be cleaned. "LOD, there is a code yellow in the fitting room that needs to be cleaned."

Code Maxi. Angry woman. "Hey GSA, we have a code maxi make their way to service desk."

And then there's how the salesfloor answers for help with carts (before we got cart attendant hours for 4th quarter):

Me: team, can I get some assistance with carts on pharmacy side?
*silence for five minutes*
Me: team, I'm getting very low on carts on pharmacy side. Who can respond?
*more silence*
Me: team, I am nearly out of carts on pharmacy side. If you are not with a guest, can you please respond?
*more silence*
Me: LOD, can I please get some support with carts? I've called it out three times and haven't gotten a response.
LOD: oh, you need help with carts? What side?
Me:.....

And then there's how the salesfloor answers for help with carts (before we got cart attendant hours for 4th quarter):

Me: team, can I get some assistance with carts on pharmacy side?
*silence for five minutes*
Me: team, I'm getting very low on carts on pharmacy side. Who can respond?
*more silence*
Me: team, I am nearly out of carts on pharmacy side. If you are not with a guest, can you please respond?
*more silence*
Me: LOD, can I please get some support with carts? I've called it out three times and haven't gotten a response.
LOD: oh, you need help with carts? What side?
Me:.....

Must have been an intense episode of Family Feud. (Or NCIS which is on in our store a lot)

At my store it's "itch to three?"
"sfor?"
"barp."
"tion?"
Because no one can remember to push the button down BEFORE talking.
At my store, if you're back room, you don't have to say anything at all. For example:

(I switch to two)
*silence*
*silence*
*silence*
(I flip back to one)
LOD: back room is on two.
Me: I just tried looking there and there is no one there, but it can try again.
(Repeats exercise in futility back on channel two)
(Switches back to channel one)
Me: team, I'm trying to locate someone in the back room who can assist me, can someone please respond?
BRTM: I can help you....

(This is usually where everyone near me bursts out laughing at me because I'm so frustrated I want to strangle someone).
"Can anyone cover my break in electronics?"
*dead silence for five minutes*
"Can anyone please cover my break in electronics?"
*dead silence*

Same at my store, omg.

Operator: Toys, you have a call on 2280. Toys, 2280.
Me: I can get the toys call.
[...]
Me: Toys is back on 80 while I check for an item.
Then the operator calls out a call for toys. Then she calls it out again.
Operator: Can someone take the toys call on 2280, it's rung back 3 times.
It's the same guest I've been helping. :facepalm:

Also, our TLs and ETLs like to mispronounce each other's names and/or use their full names (if they go by a nickname).

GSTL: LOD [full name]? -or- Leader On Duty?
LOD: Go ahead, [GSTL's full name].
GSTL: [insert banal Target inanity here]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back