myDevice as Radio

Standard walkie talkie or walkie talkie attached to myDevice

• Standard walkie talkie

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Attached to myDevice

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
Would you rather have a myDevice that has a walkie-talkie built into the battery that also connects to the myDevice software as well or a standard walkie-talkie like what we have now? Walkie-talkies would still be used as backup and when using attachments that it would not fit on. Zebra does not make anything like that yet but hopefully, they do soon.

I would personally use the myDevice as it's one device to carry and I don't use anything attached to it.

Would you rather have a myDevice that has a walkie-talkie built into the battery that also connects to the myDevice software as well or a standard walkie-talkie like what we have now? Walkie-talkies would still be used as backup and when using attachments that it would not fit on. Zebra does not make anything like that yet but hopefully, they do soon.

I would personally use the myDevice as it's one device to carry and I don't use anything attached to it.
They used to have(maybe they still do) in push to talk cell phones that functioned as a walkie talkie, I remember I had friends that had them in the 90s. I guess it could work like that.

But I would rather have 2 separate pieces, it just makes it easier if you have to use both at the same time. Also I don't mind the walkies.

But I would rather have 2 separate pieces, it just makes it easier if you have to use both at the same time. Also I don't mind the walkies.
With the method I proposed the battery for the myDevice can be the walkie by itself if you really want two devices. The stores would also keep a handful for myDevice attachments that can't use the bigger battery/walkie

We attempted Zebra's PTT app. The feedback was not good and the pilot was terminated.
Was the app the reason for the feedback or the whole concept the reason? If it's the app Target could find a different app to use. If it's the hardware for making calls employees could use a headset to communicate. If it's network issues Target has to figure something else ou

Was this the app? The Microsoft Teams Walkie Talkie App is Now on Dozens of Zebra Android™ Devices | Zebra Blog - https://www.zebra.com/us/en/blog/posts/2022/using-microsoft-teams-walkie-talkie-app-on-zebra-android-devices.html

Zebra already has a walkie talkie app, Target just needs to figure out the logistics of how it can be used in an emergency, most likely using cellular data.
Or an attachment to use the walkie frequencies. At least with that, they don't have to figure out how to use it in emergencies. They just need to buy the equipment once.

TMs or just TL+, since we don't have access to email or anything as it is
It will be all TM's but only TL's can use it off the clock. Basically for discussing ideas with different stores, or people to send notes about different things. Email but make it gen z!

It will be all TM's but only TL's can use it off the clock. Basically for discussing ideas with different stores, or people to send notes about different things. Email but make it gen z!
That's concerning, TLs can't even access email outside of work because of potential working off the clock.

We don't have enough Zebras... But I think I prefer a walkie. Seems like it would be easier to change channels and adjust volume quickly. And there would need to be a way to disable the function on the Zebra when on breaks. Seems like it would be more cumbersome.

Is this something that's actually being worked on? Also, another thing to keep in mind, this would probably make Zebras drain their battery quicker.

Last edited:
I wish they would take the phone app off the mydevice. How am I supposed to use the device to help the guest if I'm holding my device up to my ear?

When I was there full time a co worker and myself would be able to launch the Zebra PTT app and use it to communicate just between us two or we’d loop in our TL so we could run INFs by her on the fly. I liked it but it was very splotchy on transmitting everything you said so I could see why the pilot was terminated.

Back