Archived Hardlines getting cross trained for Starbucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m currently hardlines but apparently our store’s Starbucks franchise location was threatened by ~REAL~ Starbucks leadership that they would take it away if the store didn’t provide better coverage of shifts, breaks, and meals for the current baristas (of which we have very few). So today, I was approached by store leadership about cross training for Starbucks since it’s well known I’m a caffeine fiend anyways. I know most of the drinks are fairly similar with some variations, but any tips and tricks from experienced Starbucks baristas would be welcome as our baristas haven’t had time to train me yet and I’d like to be prepared because our guests are really picky about their drinks.

I mean, with as small a team as it is, it’s naturally gonna be a bit of a shitstorm. I’m well aware of what I’m getting myself into as far as having to do a million things at once and having to be the bearer of bad news (there’s no more of xyz flavor cake pop/sandwich/limited edition frappe/etc)... Just looking for memory and Starbucks survival tips really!

back when I was a semi-noob I saw a sign in TMSC saying SB had some positions open if anyone was interested in cross training and hours. I asked the TL about it and she lolled and said I would be eaten alive by guests in the first 30 minutes. I said "Oh shit, that hardcore huh?" and she said she's had to dissuade plenty of people who thought it was just pouring coffee and talking to people. So with that in mind, props to anyone who can pull it off but it's on my no-go list along with cashiering... "things I wouldn't do for $30 an hour" lol

Start memorizing all the names, codes and abbreviations NOW.

Make flashcards.

And good luck. You might love it!

I’m currently hardlines but apparently our store’s Starbucks franchise location was threatened by ~REAL~ Starbucks leadership that they would take it away if the store didn’t provide better coverage of shifts, breaks, and meals for the current baristas (of which we have very few). So today, I was approached by store leadership about cross training for Starbucks since it’s well known I’m a caffeine fiend anyways. I know most of the drinks are fairly similar with some variations, but any tips and tricks from experienced Starbucks baristas would be welcome as our baristas haven’t had time to train me yet and I’d like to be prepared because our guests are really picky about their drinks.
Here are just some tips for you I can think of off the top of my head.

• When you first get in to starbucks cover a break, just quickly check to make sure what you have and what you don't (iced coffee, refreshers, whipped cream, dried fruit, lemonade, syrups, coconut milk, etc.) so that you are prepared to answer when a guest tries to order something or asks if you have something. It sucks when someone orders something and then they pay and you go to make it and realize you don't have all the ingredients.
• Use the little beverage guide cards to try and figure out how to make any drink that you don't know but don't try to blindly just make something for a guest that you are not sure about. It's better to just be honest with the guest and tell them that you don't normally work in starbucks and don't know how to make something rather than give them a drink that's completely wrong and gross. People might be kind of rude to you if this happens but it's not your fault or your problem.
• Caramel macchiatos get vanilla flavor in them, not caramel (the caramel syrup goes on the top)
• Make sure to wipe the steam wand with sanitizer / let it steam a little after making steamed drinks so it doesn't get crusty or cross-contaminated between regular milk and lactose-free milk
• a "pink drink" is just a strawberry açai refresher with coconut milk in it instead of water. same with a "violet drink" except it's very berry refresher
• we don't accept tips

we don't accept tips
Unless they insist, then you tell the LOD and you can keep it.

Most abbreviations are simply the first letters of the words in the drink.

The basic iced tea and refresher recipes are on the shaker.

Basic frapps recipe is on stickers by the blender. (Ours is on top of the fridge).

Most espresso beverages follow 2 basic recipes (with or without toppings), but they keep adding non-standard builds to the menu.

Caramel Macchiato is the most popular drink at my store over the course of the year, and it is not a standard build. Vanilla syrup (as @Dog mentioned) and one less pump of it. Also, put together differently.

When you hear back up called, head over and jump on register. They will tell you what to do. Stick around long enough to learn a couple quick things.

Don’t do it. Tell your TL Starbucks makes you uncomfortable and gives you anxiety. Starbucks is a time suck for sales floor TMs and salesfloor leadership isn’t really able to adjust their expectations of you regardless of if lod/ETLs/gstl/Starbucks TL have you spending an hour of your shift up there covering.

I don't think she's going to cover breaks...but do actual, full shifts there.

Based on what I've observed at my store's Starbucks, the more people cross-trained over there the better. Even just to run the register while the actual barista makes drinks. Too often, they have to do both which is just crazy.

We all know how “training” goes at Target so, OP, please make sure that you actually get training over there and not just stuck by yourself to sink or swim. Stuff at Starbucks isn’t going to be self explanatory at all and it’s something that someone /actually/ needs to teach you. If they stick you over there alone and tell you to figure it out, then your best bet is to just say no and tell them that you’re happy to help out when you can get some proper training.

I learned Sbux by osmosis. Literally. I backed up there so many times that I learned how to make the drinks just by picking it up as i watched the other baristas make them. Make sure you complete a learning plan, though, because Sbux has a certain number they need to make of certified baristas, and they can get dinged if they don't make that number. I never had a learning plan, but if you are going to be covering shifts over there it's best you learn.

Honestly, when you get right down to it its not difficult to make the basic drinks, and the more you make them it gets easier. What complicates things are the different ways guests want you to make them, and again, after a while you get used to it. Try to take things one at a time, and absolutely master marking cups and the register -- nothing drives our baristas crazy more than making a drink wrong because the cup was marked wrong. Good luck!

SB tosses out that "certified" label WAY too easily.

SB tosses out that "certified" label WAY too easily.
I kinda agree. I just trained someone to close who had already been working at our Sbux for a week and didn’t know how to use the blender at all. :( She ended up quitting shortly after but yeah

That's just weird. ANY moron knows how to work a blender, even the one at SB.

Starbucks Corp have and will remove TGT store locations. It means that your store's FTL (or SBTL) and Exec Leadership will need to make sure SB coverage and break guidelines are followed.

This is why I never understood why TGT agreed to manage SB coverage and payroll in the first place. It should be totally managed and insured by Starbucks under the operational agreement that they can work in Target stores; similar to Mobile.

That's just weird. ANY moron knows how to work a blender, even the one at SB.
Yes. But would you want to deal with the Guest traffic and demands. Food Ave was worse enough. But SB takes it to a new level.

Starbucks Corp have and will remove TGT store locations. It means that your store's FTL (or SBTL) and Exec Leadership will need to make sure SB coverage and break guidelines are followed.

This is why I never understood why TGT agreed to manage SB coverage and payroll in the first place. It should be totally managed and insured by Starbucks under the operational agreement that they can work in Target stores; similar to Mobile.
Right? And because they’re Target employees everything is naturally just fucked up :rolleyes:

I am just sitting here chuckling.
Yes, there are times when you are the only one at starbucks , you are low on stuff and there is a line out the door.
I guess that sums it up.

Advice:- learn the drinks, be ready to multi task and then some more.

And enjoy that 25 cent raise!!!

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back