Archived Has Target changed you? If so, how?

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 95
  • Views 9K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah it's just kinda the truth.. You'd be surprised realizing how far mastering the "I really care" act can take you, especially when you spice it up with some imitation enthusiasm and essence of yes sir/no sir

And some people have worked at Spot long enough that they've been capped out.
They can't make more no matter how much the 'care'.
I will never get a raise. Never. I'm beyond capped out I'm sure. Although maybe not because my rate hasn't dropped with more than 6 months in work center change.

I never even got my review.... Just as well to be honest. But knowing I will never get an extra quarter for doing my job well - I still do my job, it's how I was raised, but it irks.

I did get verbal acknowledgement they will reduce my weekly hours to wait I wanted when I was hired. We will see how that goes....
Sounds like giving up to me. You only cap out of a raise if you fall below excellent on review. If you arent sure how to earn the wage you can ask what's needed to achieve such a rating from your Etl.. Or you can say "screw that, I'll just keep complaining", it sure is a lot easier..
No really, I'm capped out and I haven't been there a year.

I'm paid for the work center I was hired for, not as a cashier. I probably make more than the GSAs in my store.

Oh, and my review was done by my former work center wannabe-ETL (ETL left, this one didn't get the job), that ensured I was not trained for what I was hired. That is why my review didn't happen... If I ask, I'm sure they have it marked it was done. I don't care, because in no way was it going to go well as a review of my work anyway. It's no biggie.

And giving up? Trust me, I'm probably the only cashier that feels they are paid fairly. My wage lets me work less hours, leaving them to my coworkers, same for the 25 cents I didn't get. Give it to the ones hurting more.

Last edited:
Sounds like giving up to me. You only cap out of a raise if you fall below excellent on review. If you arent sure how to earn the wage you can ask what's needed to achieve such a rating from your Etl.. Or you can say "screw that, I'll just keep complaining", it sure is a lot easier..

@neversaynever was originally hired to work in the pharmacy and gets pharmacy pay. That's why she's capped out as a cashier. Also, there aren't that many EX and O grades to go around.

That's why you ask how to get your slice of the pie and try and get it.. Or be like everyone else and get upset watching other people eat it

...and some of us are done chasing the carrot on a stick.
And we have our reasons for sticking around, too.
And others realized how easy it is to untie the carrot once they noticed it was just a knot and a string.. Not quantum physics and algorithms...

Look, I think working for target is bullshit also, but it's been quite easy to do more than I'm asked, and that's all they're looking for.. It's easy to break pride from time to time, attitude is something that can follow you forever once you allow it to become weary and break

Well said
Thanks, I just hope team members out there understand it. Doing just what your asked is what everyone else does, or less.. Try finishing your shit then ask for more, it makes your tl/Etl realize you can do more then "just enough".. Even now as a tl, I had a meeting with sfetl/me/2tls.. She started grilling us.. I started thinking wtf? As she was going over everything I was doing that she asked, saying she wasn't seeing this get done by any of her TLS... Just as I was about to argue, she says " Except by (me)".. I've watched TLS throw away her list and laugh.. Everyone hates the woman because she sucks as an Etl, I get everything I need to complete finished and then do her shit, because she's my boss. I never complain, she's the one who decides if I cap out or not. Haven't yet.

Plus she's a lot easier to deal with when you aren't on her radar.

Last edited:
She must be a "micro manage etl" I love and hate that type lol. Love because they go to bat for you if everything is always done right but hate because i know how to do my job without the "list" or 70 emails

She must be a "micro manage etl" I love and hate that type lol. Love because they go to bat for you if everything is always done right but hate because i know how to do my job without the "list" or 70 emails
Summarizes what everyone else would call the pain.. Explains what I refer to as your job.

Summarizes what everyone else would call the pain.. Explains what is referred to as your job.

Lol too true

Has Target Changed me? Yup. I liked it 5 years ago when I started but that was then this is now. I have applied to odd end jobs over the past couple months and yet no call backs and sometimes I will get the dreaded thanks but no thanks and sure I could quit but I need the money to pay bills and I have a boyfriend who tells me you quit you get tossed out of the apartment so I would be living in the streets. Basically I have to suck it up and put on a smile and try to enjoy Target and still put in apps. I love the people I work with but trust me it has changed....

I think what has plagued my time at Target is that I simply expected too much out of a crappy retail job. I expected to be treated fairly when it came to the workload and schedule and that has never happened at my store in the backroom. I always get the heaviest workload in my opinion. Yes, I'm a constant complainer and I don't have the koolaid drinking attitude that Target ETLs and corporate love but I'm a person and I should be treated like a person.

I also have said yes way too much and in a way I have let it become routine so a lot of people whether it's TMs, TLs, or ETLs take advantage of me. Not all, just some. I have to learn how to say no.
However, a bad side effect from saying yes all the time is when you say no. When people expect you to say yes 100 percent of the time, it can create drama and confrontation when you say no.

I make a bale usually every shift so people expect me to make bales. I always stay late for price change so people expect me to stay late. I always do stupid waste of time flexible fulfillment so people expect me to do it. The list goes on and on.

I snapped at a backroom team member today for telling me to go give someone a key back that they borrowed. I told them "I don't want that. It's not my responsibility. You do it". I'm sure the backroom team member will probably tattle tell on me because she got mad that I said no.
You are a 50 something year old woman. Learn to be independent. If you borrowed an electronics key from the team member in electronics, give the key back to him yourself. I'm not your baby sitter and I'm also not your slave.

The base positions are not intended to support you, that's why they're not full time. You're supposed to want to move up (requires trying, sometimes more than once) or quit once you're through with school..
See, that right there is why employees don't work very hard for Target. Target has positions that don't pay enough but for some reason expects its' employees to work hard anyway. That's like buying the body of a car with no engine for $200 and expecting it to run like a BMW M5. As for expecting all employees to either want to move up or quit, that's a fallacy. At my old store of roughly 200 people, there were around 25 supervisory positions available. If you consider the fact that 8 of those were ETL positions and a grand total of 0 TMs get promoted to ETL ever that number drops to 17 which is under 10%. So what you're proposing is that 200 people work their asses off for 17 available positions or quit. As previously stated, very few TMs make it to ETL so once those 17 positions are filled that's it, they're done promoting. Now that leaves 183 under paid employees with no place to promote to. According to you, their options are to either accept it or quit. What actually happens is the ones who have the talent and desire to seek other employment will do so. Typically these will be the top performing employees as it will be easier for them to find other sustainable employment than bottom performing employees. But let's suppose all 180 disgruntled workers just up and quit their jobs. What happens after those employees leave? Are they replaced from the magical garden of endless retail employees? No of course not because that's not how it works. They are replaced by individuals who consider target's compensation and expectations superior to that of their former employer. Most of the time these employees will turn out to be inferior to the employees they are replacing because labor is just like everything else in the sense that you get what you pay for. Who do you think is going to have better employees, the company that pays $8.50/hr and gives you 15 hours a week or the company that pays $17.50/hr and gives you 40 hours a week? Obviously, there will be a much higher demand to work for the company that compensates better and that company will have the luxury of hiring the cream of the crop. The company that pays less will have to select from the remaining workforce. In this case, Target's compensation is far less than comparable companies within the same industry (retail/grocery) and close to some in other industries (fast food). So it's entirely possible that they would be unable to find a sufficient number of replacement employees if everyone did as you suggested. (This actually happened at my old store. They're currently understaffed by over 50 tms because management drove people to quit and now they can't find people to fill the vacated positions) Of course, Target's broken promotional system is a factor as well. Employee A can work his/her ass off at Walmart/Kroger/McDonald's/BK etc. and promote to management earning between $35K-100K+ in significantly less time than he/she can at Target. Hell, I was making over $50,000 at Kroger as a night crew foreman and it only took me 6 months to get there. After 3 years at Target I was essentially the Planogram TL as a TM because the actual SR.TL we had was useless and hung out in the TLO all day. I made $19,000/year and had I received the promotion I deserved I would have only made $22,000. The incentive to exceed expectations simply did not exist. In fact, I would even say there was negative incentive. I had more expected from me because I worked harder than the TMs who barely even showed up to work. There was no difference in pay. So I'm afraid I can't say I blame anybody who only does what's expected of them. They have no reason to work any harder. It's Target's job to motivate it's employees(which they have failed at) so take it up with them.

Last edited:
The base positions are not intended to support you, that's why they're not full time. You're supposed to want to move up (requires trying, sometimes more than once) or quit once you're through with school..

Back in the 80s I worked in a grocery store where a cashier could make a house payment and own a car on what they made.
There were couple there who put kids through college and don't even get me started on what the meat cutters made an hour.
The reason they made a living wage, they were union.
We also had good health insurance.

The cashiers at the Kroger I work at make $17.56/hr the meat cutters make close to $20/hr and the health insurance is very good for only $5/week.
I'm sure its not as good as it was back then due to inflation but it's still better than a lot of other places!
The best part is, everyone takes pride in their work because they get paid better!
We're also union, imagine that :)

Target and retail both suck. Unless you're an ETL or higher, the pay is shitty. Plain and simple. I just how some Target ETLs are bullies and basically act like they can work people to death just so they can get their bonuses every year. That is the main reason why I hate working at Target. Being treated like sweat shop workers by asshole bully ETLs. Just because you're a higher up that does not give you the right to work me to death and treat me like shit.

Target and retail both suck. Unless you're an ETL or higher, the pay is shitty. Plain and simple. I just how some Target ETLs are bullies and basically act like they can work people to death just so they can get their bonuses every year. That is the main reason why I hate working at Target. Being treated like sweat shop workers by asshole bully ETLs. Just because you're a higher up that does not give you the right to work me to death and treat me like shit.

Why would you expect most ETLs to give a crap, when 3/4 of TMs don't give a crap either.

Because an ETL is a leader and baby sitter. That's why. Team members are minions.

Why would you expect most ETLs to give a crap, when 3/4 of TMs don't give a crap either.
Higher pay means higher expectations. As leaders in the building, ETLs should be held to a higher standard. They are compensated enough to care regardless if their team members don't.

Higher pay means higher expectations. As leaders in the building, ETLs should be held to a higher standard. They are compensated enough to care regardless if their team members don't.

ETLs care about results, and metrics that make them look good.

Some of them will appear to be interested in TM concerns, but its just an act usually. Do I blame them? No. I would probably do the same thing.

Yep, it's a script from corporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back