Archived Hearing that most Macy's stores will open at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which almost certainly sets the "standard" to beat for other major retailers as well... Thoughts on this? I know my work/personal/college life is way out of balance as of late, and I was already leaning towards making this my last 4th quarter in retail. If we match this opening time, and I feel like we will, that will seal the deal for me.

Christmas Eve we are open 7am to 9 or 10pm depending on the store according to an updated message board.

Last edited:
One of my FB friends posted that her neighbor's daughter works for spot in another state, and that she was told to prepare for a 6pm Thanksgiving day open. If that's the case, it's going to tick of a great many TM's in my store.

One of my FB friends posted that her neighbor's daughter works for spot in another state, and that she was told to prepare for a 6pm Thanksgiving day open. If that's the case, it's going to tick of a great many TM's in my store.

For that, the store may as well have normal hours on Thursday (opening at 8am) and just not close that night.

I'm prepared for anything as far as Black Friday goes. Personally, I think Black Friday was more fun when it started at 4am. It gave tms a chance to spend time with their families and the day went by super quick. Last year we were practically dead by midnight or 1 am. I have to give props to my team though, because they handled it like pros. I've never seen our lines move so fast. One thing I did like about 9pm is that guests generally seemed in better moods...probably due to not having to wake up at such an early hour to get the best deal. Either way, I'm going to strive to give my team the shift that they want. I don't want to take anyone away from their family if possible, but I know there are people like me that don't do much for the holidays and would rather open for the sale anyway.

I'm not optimistic that my store being open until 10pm on Christmas Eve is the wisest business decision, but I'm trying to look for the positive. I wonder if extra incentive pay will be offered again? The team should have an easy go of it from 7 or 8 on. The store should also look better on the day after too. The majority of the store will be fine concerning the Christmas Eve hours. It will be salesfloor and front end that get the shaft there.

If nothing else, I'm pretty excited for most stores to be closing at 9pm on New Year's Eve! Party it up after what's sure to be a hectic holiday season!

Last edited:
This year is going to be totally different because Hanukkah falls very early this year.
It starts the evening of Wednesday, November 27 and ends in the evening of Thursday, December 5.
The rush is going to be a lot different on the areas where the Jewish population is heaviest.
So for those of us who want Hanukkah off and it falls on Black Friday. HMMMM.
Seems like religious discrimination since Spot is closed on Christmas.

Last edited:
How about this novel idea: a Black Friday sale that starts on.....wait for it.....wait for it.....

BLACK FRIDAY! :buba:

It's no longer "Black Friday" when it starts on Thursday. Just sayin'.

I know, what a novel #%#%# idea. The thought and idea of Black Friday pisses me off more every passing year. Why is it even special anymore. Why even be closed thanksgiving if we are going to open earlier and earlier and earlier. Someone said 6pm was a rumor in one of the posts above. If that is the case good luck being able to staff the store from 6pm til 10pm the next night. I thought most of the deals we had last year just plain sucked too. Amazon had a lot better deals than most of the places I looked at Black Friday and will probably be getting my business with their deals around Black Friday this year as well.

You know the funny thing is I bet Target barely makes any more money now than when we opened on or past midnight. I allready know with them hiring less seasonal ALOT of people at my store are going to have to open and then come back for a second shift. What a GREAT work life balance :music2:

Last edited:
I think its safe to say opening will be earlier than last year after seeing HR go around to all TM's baiting them into saying yes to open availability with the hopes of winning a $100 dollar gift card for doing so.

How about this novel idea: a Black Friday sale that starts on.....wait for it.....wait for it.....

BLACK FRIDAY! :buba:

It's no longer "Black Friday" when it starts on Thursday. Just sayin'.

I know, what a novel #%#%# idea. The thought and idea of Black Friday pisses me off more every passing year. Why is it even special anymore. Why even be closed thanksgiving if we are going to open earlier and earlier and earlier. Someone said 6pm was a rumor in one of the posts above. If that is the case good luck being able to staff the store from 6pm til 10pm the next night. I thought most of the deals we had last year just plain sucked too. Amazon had a lot better deals than most of the places I looked at Black Friday and will probably be getting my business with their deals around Black Friday this year as well.

You know the funny thing is I bet Target barely makes any more money now than when we opened on or past midnight. I allready know with them hiring less seasonal ALOT of people at my store are going to have to open and then come back for a second shift. What a GREAT work life balance :music2:

This is the thing I don't understand. Sales haven't increased that much it just spreads it out over a longer time with a significantly higher payroll. The entire thing makes absolutely no sense to open earlier when the money just isn't there. I wouldn't be nearly as mad if it made good business sense, but it doesn't. It's just as if retailers get into a pissing contest over who can open the earliest.

I swear to God, If spot thinks we should open at 6pm I will kill a man. This is ridiculous. And I love how non-retail people think its no big deal. People, I don't want to be at work when I should be a sleep. I will forever have respect for graveyard shift people.

Soon it'll be starting on Wednesday night. This is just... ridiculous.

I swear to God, If spot thinks we should open at 6pm I will kill a man. This is ridiculous. And I love how non-retail people think its no big deal. People, I don't want to be at work when I should be a sleep. I will forever have respect for graveyard shift people.

If we open at 6 I dont even know what to say.....Thats going to be 28 or so hours without being closed for Staffing. Whos looking forward and excited to be working Double Shifts :party:

Last edited:
So ridiculous, most of my family lives 2-3 hours away and I don't get to see them very often. This is definitely my last 4th quarter, might even be gone before this but in any case.

Telling people to completely give up their holidays for what this company gives back to its TMs is infuriating. Especially at my store which is low volume and we only had about 40 people waiting outside last year. Might be more with the PS4 and XBox1 this year, but I felt cheated and spent most of the shift looking for something to do.

so we open at 6pm, does that mean those who usually start 2 hours before the store opens should report at 4 PM and get no turkey dinner. I gues i get turkey to go, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back