Archived Hello everyone, yes I'm new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! Before I say anything else, I'm sure you're all thinking, "Oh great another clueless new guy."

Yeah that's me... pretty clueless. I promise I'll learn and catch up pretty fast though!

Anyway I found The Break Room while looking up "Cart Attendant Target" on Google. I've read so many horrible stories about the position, and I'm pretty nervous to be honest. Long story short; I got hired and have my orientation soon. What can I expect at the orientation as someone who will become a Cart Attendant? Also any tips for my first day as a Cart Attendant, or any tips in general that you may have regarding this position? (Any links to old threads are welcome.)
I plan to do my best and put so much effort into my job. (Cheesy I know! Side note: It's my first real job) Another question I have is, after working as a CA for a while; will I be able to move to another position? I have so much to ask, but I'll keep it short for now. A future Thank You to everyone who responds. I hope to be on this website regularly. :)

If you live where it snows I feel so bad for you...

However being a cart attendant isn't all that bad. I am a GSA so just do as we ask and you'll survive. Make sure you do your restroom checks hourly and don't be a bum. If you can't because your out getting carts or something just let your GSA / GSTL know or ask them if they can handle it while your outside.

There is always the opp to learn a new position / role inside Target. If you're doing a good job and show up for your shifts within your first 90 days and don't give your leadership reason to think otherwise they'll give you the opp when they feel you're ready for it. One thing that never hurts is just asking for more training in other places when it's available so you can help pick up shifts in other locations when it's needed. That's how most of the CA I know made it out of the lot.

Had two really close TM's go from CA to GSTL and now ones a ETL-Log.

I recently dropped 160 bucks on some Lacrosse waterproof boots.

You're gonna love it! I do!

Welcome.
Hmm orientation. Be ready to watch a day of videos of info you won't understand until you are actually doing your job for awhile.
On the job. Watch out for cars. You are invisible to the drivers. Unless you hit their car with a cart or have a cart in their way. Make sure you wear a vest.
If it's lightening outside. You go inside.
Always let the gsa/Gstl know where you are - meaning don't wander off. At first they will tell you when to take your breaks.
Always check in with them when you get in. When you go on your meal. When you get back from your meal and when you leave for the day.
Always make sure your walkie is on and that it is on the right channel. Always answer your walkie when someone is calling for you.
If the parking lot is getting out of control with carts. Do not hesitate to tell the gsa/gstl that you need help.
As you are learning what to do. Try to figure out ways to help you go faster.
Don't ask anyone when you can go to another department until you are there at least 8 months. Otherwise it might never happen.
Wish you much luck and be careful in that parking lot. Drivers are crazy.

Thank you to all who welcomed me!

Welcome to the red 'hood.
Here's a couple to start with. Search is your friend:
First day as cart attendant | The Break Room
https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/cart-attendant.73/

I appreciate the links! I've read through the threads. Thanks.

If you live where it snows I feel so bad for you...

However being a cart attendant isn't all that bad. I am a GSA so just do as we ask and you'll survive. Make sure you do your restroom checks hourly and don't be a bum. If you can't because your out getting carts or something just let your GSA / GSTL know or ask them if they can handle it while your outside.

There is always the opp to learn a new position / role inside Target. If you're doing a good job and show up for your shifts within your first 90 days and don't give your leadership reason to think otherwise they'll give you the opp when they feel you're ready for it. One thing that never hurts is just asking for more training in other places when it's available so you can help pick up shifts in other locations when it's needed. That's how most of the CA I know made it out of the lot.

Had two really close TM's go from CA to GSTL and now ones a ETL-Log.

Thanks for the great information. :) I don't think that I'd mind staying as cart attendant for a while, but I do eventually want to learn to do much more than just that. I'm kind of confused since PinkZinnia said I should wait at least 8 months before I ask to go onto another department, would you say it's 8 months as well?

Welcome.
Hmm orientation. Be ready to watch a day of videos of info you won't understand until you are actually doing your job for awhile.
On the job. Watch out for cars. You are invisible to the drivers. Unless you hit their car with a cart or have a cart in their way. Make sure you wear a vest.
If it's lightening outside. You go inside.
Always let the gsa/Gstl know where you are - meaning don't wander off. At first they will tell you when to take your breaks.
Always check in with them when you get in. When you go on your meal. When you get back from your meal and when you leave for the day.
Always make sure your walkie is on and that it is on the right channel. Always answer your walkie when someone is calling for you.
If the parking lot is getting out of control with carts. Do not hesitate to tell the gsa/gstl that you need help.
As you are learning what to do. Try to figure out ways to help you go faster.
Don't ask anyone when you can go to another department until you are there at least 8 months. Otherwise it might never happen.
Wish you much luck and be careful in that parking lot. Drivers are crazy.

Wow that's really helpful stuff. Thank you so much. :D By "parking lot is getting out of control with carts", do you mean that if there is too many carts on the lot I should ask for help?

Just an update for all who are wondering and for future cart attendants (or just team members in general) who may be reading this:

I had my orientation today and it was great. The higher ranked team members were really nice and made sure to answer any questions that we had. We were asked to fill out some papers and provide the documents that were needed. We watched 3 videos and took notes. After the videos, a few questions were asked regarding what we learned from them. Then we were shown around the store, all the emergency exits, where to clock in, where to find our schedules, the lockers, and the break room plus the back room. Once the tour was over, we did some trivia about Target and what we learned and saw during our tour. We were given temporary employee discount cards and temporary name tags as well. We also took a test on the computer about selling alcohol. If you fail the first time, you can keep taking it until you pass. You will need to score at least a 90% on it to pass. The test was 16 questions I believe. After that was done, we were given our schedules and then we were free to go home. Pretty simple!

I do recommend that you ask questions if you're unsure of things. If you forget to ask any on the spot, you can always ask later or ask on this website's forums. Try to talk to and befriend others who were hired along with you. You will be most likely working with them after all. :) P.s. Make sure you have clothes that follow the dress code! I ended up going home after my orientation and realized that I had no khaki pants and had to go out and buy some. I should've just bought some from Target and used my 10% off employee discount before I went home lol.

Honestly I wouldn't wait 8 months that's a long time to wait on showing you want to progress in the company. Target is an extremely fast moving company. Most of your ETL's are only going to be there for about 18 months so make your impression during your 90 days and just ask if you could be trained elsewhere so you could pick up hours in other departments. They'll most likely take a look at where they may need a little help and if you're showing hard work ethic out in the lot they'll almost give you a chance anywhere they need a little help. Coming inside from CA is usually transitioned moving into food / guest service from my experiences. I've brought in 2-3 CA's from the lot and turned them into Guest Service cashiers. One of them didn't get along with our GSTL and is now a flow TM. Just remember Targets fast moving, the more information you can soak in the better off you'll be. There are some negative people when it comes to the company but if you really want to move up it's not impossible.

I don't remember if I posted it in here or another thread but one of my ETLS started in the lot.

Honestly I wouldn't wait 8 months that's a long time to wait on showing you want to progress in the company. Target is an extremely fast moving company. Most of your ETL's are only going to be there for about 18 months so make your impression during your 90 days and just ask if you could be trained elsewhere so you could pick up hours in other departments. They'll most likely take a look at where they may need a little help and if you're showing hard work ethic out in the lot they'll almost give you a chance anywhere they need a little help. Coming inside from CA is usually transitioned moving into food / guest service from my experiences. I've brought in 2-3 CA's from the lot and turned them into Guest Service cashiers. One of them didn't get along with our GSTL and is now a flow TM. Just remember Targets fast moving, the more information you can soak in the better off you'll be. There are some negative people when it comes to the company but if you really want to move up it's not impossible.

I don't remember if I posted it in here or another thread but one of my ETLS started in the lot.

I've noticed what you said about Target being a fast moving company. While on the job today, I was introduced to some team members who were previous cart attendants. I will most likely look into it after 90 days like you said. I really do appreciate you telling me your knowledge and tips about cart attendant. :) I had my first day on the job today and while all the walking was tiring, I do like the position as cart attendant so far!

Here's my first day summarized as a cart attendant. I might make my own thread for this in the future and write down how my day went every day for my first 2 weeks to help future team members see what it's like being a cart attendant, (Kind of like a diary. If I'm allowed to do so that is) but for now I'll just write it here.

Day 1 - November 16:

Today I came in and started my first day as a cart attendant. I punched in the code for the employee door and went into the break room. I was introduced to my trainer. We chatted for about 5 minutes and he told me his story about working at Target. He was really experienced and told me that he had worked there for many years! He showed me how to clock in. (Note: Make sure you clock in when you're supposed to start work. If you try clocking in earlier, it won't allow you.) He showed me the cart attendant staff room and pointed out where everything was located inside. He then told me to put on a safety vest and explained to me that I had to wear it all times when working. He showed me the front of the store and where the shopping carts and baskets were located. We then went to get a walkie talkie. After that we went outside and he taught me how to bring in the shopping carts. (Note: Push no more than 7 by hand) It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and trust me you'll be able to do a good job by the end of the day. Once that was done, he showed me where all the service/spill stations were and how to check them. If a spill station was missing anything, we had to go into the supply room and bring what was missing to the spill station. I was told that I could check around the isles for any unused shopping carts and bring them to the front of the store. Afterwards we went to make sure the restrooms were clean. (Note: They are to be checked every hour. At half hour in my store. Example: 1:30PM, 2:30PM, and so on.) If the restrooms were dirty, we had to sweep and then mop them if needed. It's not that bad, and probably my favorite part (so far) of being a cart attendant. (Note: Make sure you put wet floor signs when mopping.)

After about 2 hours of working, I took my 15 minute break. (Note: You can take 1 break if you work less than 8 hours and 2 Breaks if you work for 8 hours.) When my break was over, my trainer took his break and I just went out into the parking lot to bring in shopping carts, and I made sure the basket rack was filled up near the store entrance. Once my trainer's break was over he showed me where to put items like Trash bags, Salvage and CRC. (Note: You'll learn more about what Salvage and CRC means from your trainer.) Since restroom checks are every hour, I won't mention them anymore in my story for today. Just make sure that you do check the restrooms every hour!. After sometime passed by bringing carts in and doing restroom checks, I went on my 45 minute lunch break. (Note: You have a 45 minute lunch break. Make sure when you start your lunch break that you press the "Start lunch" button and the "End Lunch" button when your lunch is over.) I was free to go outside and eat my lunch at any fast food place, so I did. When my lunch was over, my trainer took his lunch. I spent my time bringing carts in from outside and getting stray carts that were inside the store. Once my trainer finished his lunch, I was shown how to empty out the 2 trashcans outside of Target. I also took out the trash and replaced the trash bags from the Starbucks located in my Target. Finally once that was over we brought any donations like items and food cans into the same room where the Salvage and CRC was. By the time we finished that, my work shift was over and I clocked out, then went home. :)

Overall my day was great. My trainer was very nice and I am so thankful that he answered my questions. The other team members were very kind to me, and I introduced myself to a couple of them. I did walk a lot, so yes it was tiring, but I'm sure I'll get used to it over time. (Note: Wear some good walking shoes, like tennis shoes! Your feet will thank you.) In total I walked about 14-15 miles. I was able to check how long I had walked because I bought and carried a little device that counts steps taken and tells you the total distance you've walked. I want to thank everyone who posted on this thread. I followed your advice and my day turned out well. :D

All stores are different as far as time frames. Where I was, even though it was fast moving, people whining about going to other departments didn't work much. In fact it usually hurt them.
It's pretty much a catch-22. If you suck at your job no department will want you. If you are good at your job. No department will let you go.
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Do your job. Soak up as much info as you can. In time things can fall into place.

I had a day off on November 17 and on November 18 I had a cart attendant shift. I came home tired on the 18th so I didn't write about my day. So here we go:

Day 2 - November 18

Today was my second day working at Target and my first shift as a closing cart attendant. I came into the store, clocked in and met my second cart attendant trainer. We talked for a while and he told me he had been working at Target for a few years. We first went down to get our walkie talkies and safety vests, then we made sure there was enough shopping carts at the front of the store. After making sure we had enough shopping carts, we went to the recycle bins and realized a bin was full. He explained to me that the recycle bins needed to be emptied out when they were full or if a higher ranked team member told us to. He went over a few things that my previous cart attendant trainer went over as well. He told me about the cleaning chemicals that Target used and how to refill the spray bottles. We then checked the bathrooms since it was time to do so. (Note: Remember check them every hour! Make sure to fill out the sheet behind the bathroom door when you're done) Afterwards we went to get some baskets because there wasn't anymore at the front of the store. We picked up baskets at the checkout lines and all around the store. Once we had a decent amount of baskets at the front of the store, he taught me how to use the Cart Machine. It was pretty simple, but I have yet to use it myself. I then took my first break, and after it was over I went to get more shopping carts in the parking lot, refilled the baskets at the front of the store and cleaned the bathrooms. The day was pretty much as my first until we were getting close to closing.

Near closing I was told to check all the spill/service stations. I had to make sure there was everything needed inside of them, and if not I needed to replace what was missing. We took all the salvage and CRC and sorted it nearly in the backroom where it belonged. We also took any boxes/items labeled "toss out" to the trash compactor and placed it nearby. Next we went to the check out lines and picked up any hangers that were still left behind and put them in the hanger bin. After that we replaced the trash bags from both the trash bins outside of Target. The "No Loitering" sign was brought back inside as well. We made around 8-9 lines of shopping carts inside of the store, and any shopping carts that couldn't fit where placed outside of the store at the sides. (Note: You'll be taught exactly where to place any carts that don't fit inside of the store) We did one quick final check of the restrooms, made sure we pluged in the disability carts to charge overnight, and then put back our walkie talkies and safety vests. By the time you close there shouldn't be any stray carts out in the parking lot. Make sure they're all brought back inside and any carts that don't fit inside the store are put outside in the location that they tell you to put them. I then clocked out and left home. :) Closing will be more of a hassle but it's not hard, I also got used to walking a lot on my 2nd day. :D

Side note: Today, November 19 I did my cashier training but that's for another thread. I have another cart shift on Saturday and I'll be sure to write about it. Thank you all again. You've made me feel much more confident about being a cart attendant. I will get the hang of it!

Making up for day 3.

Day 3 - November 21

Today while being a cart attendant, I experienced the more harder side of it. I clocked in, put on my safety vest, and picked up a walkie talkie. I went to the front of store, made sure there was enough shopping carts, and then went on my way to check that the spill stations had everything. I ended up adding bags, and broom/dustpans to almost every spill station. I then made sure there was enough baskets at the front of the store. By that time the shopping carts were depleting so I went and brought in more shopping carts. Then came the hourly restroom check. The day was pretty much repetitive until the last 2 hours of my shift. More people began to enter the store, and it was a Saturday so it started to get really busy. The shopping carts were low and I did my best to make sure we never ran out of the at the front of the store. While bringing in more carts, the time came to clean the restrooms. I told myself I'd check them after one more batch of shopping carts, but the shopping carts still kept depleting very fast from the front of the store. I had never used the Cart Machine but I was shown how to use it once. I didn't want to mess things up while using the Cart Machine so I just stuck to bringing in 6-7 carts by hand inside at a time. Fast forward 20 minutes, I still hadn't done the hourly restroom check, so I was falling behind. I rushed to get at least 4 rows of carts so that I could go clean the restrooms. When cleaning the restrooms, there was a woman still inside the women's restroom and she seemed to take ages. (It turns out she was cleaning a shirt or something in the bathrooms sinks.) Time was not on my side, but finally she left the restroom and I cleaned it. When I finished and got back to the front of the store there was only 2 rows of carts left.

I began to worry and my adrenaline skyrocketed. I ran outside and brought in more carts by hand. (I really wish I had just used the damn Cart Machine, but I was too nervous to use it) I made it back to 4 rows of carts again, but by then it was time once again to clean the restrooms. While I was about to head to the restrooms I realized there was no more baskets at the front of the store, so I went around every lane picking up baskets and placing them near the front of the store. After I had finished, a voice came on my walkie ,"Cart Attendant, we need more baskets at P-Fresh." Damnit, I had to go take baskets to P-Fresh. "There's no way I could fall behind more", I thought to myself...WRONG! Another voice from the walkie told me to empty out the hanger bin. Okay...by that time I was falling more behind on the restroom check, and the carts were decreasing. I had 4 things to do, and I quickly rushed to empty out the hanger bin. Then I went to bring more baskets to P-Fresh. I then went out and brought in more carts and finally I cleaned the restrooms. Phew. That was a close one. Out I went once more to bring in more carts. No more than 30 minutes go by and it was time to check the restrooms again because I had fallen behind. I went and cleaned them, while I only had 3 rows of carts left. I was exhausted from the huge rush I just had. When the restrooms were cleaned I was called by our other cart attendant on the walkie talkie. He told me to clean up a spill, and that he'd go out and get more carts. I was saved! Yay! Looks like I won't be running out of carts. I speed walked to the spill and began to clean the mess. It was taking much longer because it was on the carpet. I did my best to clean up as much as I could. I was almost done, when I realized my shift was over...I could finally go home. Someone took over cleaning the spill for me and I went and clocked out. THE END...for now!

I experienced a busy day today, and realized what I should try to improve on. I should start using the Cart Machine. My only fear is messing something up while using it. Scratch that, I WILL have to use it. Not only because it's good to know how to, but because I have a Cart Attendant shift this upcoming Friday! (Black Friday) O_O

My next Cart Attendant shift is this Friday. I will write another post and it will be my final post for Cart Attendant as I will have worked almost 2 weeks at Target by then. Wish me luck guys!

Edit: Made a few corrections to some sentences and changed a few words in some.

Last edited:
Btw any tips on using the Cart Machine are welcome as well as any other Cart Attendant tips! Thank you all!

Been where you have been. Its hard to keep up sometimes and the adrenaline does kick in. Just don't let it drive you to the edge, the last thing that you need to do to yourself is burn yourself out. On super busy days I normally worry just about getting carts in the building. I will of course still do bathroom check-ups, hangars, foreign, and what ever else I have to do. But when it gets busy you need to focus in on one thing at a time. As for using the Cart Pusher, you'll get used to it after a while. I was very uncomfortable using it at first, but after a little time you'll be a master with that thing. being able to bring in 25 carts rather than 7 at a time is a big help. And if you ever need help just ask your LOD, I personally don't all the time because I feel as if I'm saying I can't get the work done on my own. But that is not true at all! If you need help outside then get help outside! Asking for assistance isn't going to look like you're not capable of doing your job. I spend a lot of time inside doing extra jobs for other people, don't be like me. While I enjoy helping out people a lot it causes me to fall behind on my work. There is time to check bathrooms and pick up hangars/foreign, but best thing is to stay on top of carts. If both sides of the building (if you have two sides) are filled up, then you have got some extra time to do things inside. If the carts are flying out of their rows inside like Nuke-A-Cola did on Fallout 4's release, then just stick with getting those carts in the building. If things get really sticky, then use the reserves. I had to use them just this last Saturday.

Try setting a schedule on when you do foreign and hangars. I have a specific time when I do them, sometimes I have to do them earlier per the LOD's request which is fine. But most everyone knows, "oh, its that time, Tomthy is gonna come and get my hangars and foreign". As for restroom check-ups. Every hour that "wonderful" message plays for you. The restroom check ups are important, but if you are out in the middle of the parking lot with carts don't sweat it, you can't be everywhere at once. I personally don't think you should have to worry about the women's bathroom, in my store I don't go into it, because I'm not a woman. ASANTS of course though.

There will be rough days as a CA. You will have to deal with some tough stuff and sometimes you will get frustrated and really burned out. Just remember, you can do it. No matter what, you've got what it takes to survive. As time goes on and you get the hang of the Cart Pusher you'll start to get your work done faster and have more time to get things done. Hang in there, more rough days will come, but as they do you will get just as rough and be able to pull through them without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
Been where you have been. Its hard to keep up sometimes and the adrenaline does kick in. Just don't let it drive you to the edge, the last thing that you need to do to yourself is burn yourself out. On super busy days I normally worry just about getting carts in the building. I will of course still do bathroom check-ups, hangars, foreign, and what ever else I have to do. But when it gets busy you need to focus in on one thing at a time. As for using the Cart Pusher, you'll get used to it after a while. I was very uncomfortable using it at first, but after a little time you'll be a master with that thing. being able to bring in 25 carts rather than 7 at a time is a big help. And if you ever need help just ask your LOD, I personally don't all the time because I feel as if I'm saying I can't get the work done on my own. But that is not true at all! If you need help outside then get help outside! Asking for assistance isn't going to look like you're not capable of doing your job. I spend a lot of time inside doing extra jobs for other people, don't be like me. While I enjoy helping out people a lot it causes me to fall behind on my work. There is time to check bathrooms and pick up hangars/foreign, but best thing is to stay on top of carts. If both sides of the building (if you have two sides) are filled up, then you have got some extra time to do things inside. If the carts are flying out of their rows inside like Nuke-A-Cola did on Fallout 4's release, then just stick with getting those carts in the building. If things get really sticky, then use the reserves. I had to use them just this last Saturday.

Try setting a schedule on when you do foreign and hangars. I have a specific time when I do them, sometimes I have to do them earlier per the LOD's request which is fine. But most everyone knows, "oh, its that time, Tomthy is gonna come and get my hangars and foreign". As for restroom check-ups. Every hour that "wonderful" message plays for you. The restroom check ups are important, but if you are out in the middle of the parking lot with carts don't sweat it, you can't be everywhere at once. I personally don't think you should have to worry about the women's bathroom, in my store I don't go into it, because I'm not a woman. ASANTS of course though.

There will be rough days as a CA. You will have to deal with some tough stuff and sometimes you will get frustrated and really burned out. Just remember, you can do it. No matter what, you've got what it takes to survive. As time goes on and you get the hang of the Cart Pusher you'll start to get your work done faster and have more time to get things done. Hang in there, more rough days will come, but as they do you will get just as rough and be able to pull through them without breaking a sweat.

Omg, thanks for all the great advice and uplifting words. I feel much better about starting to use the Cart Machine and about my Cart Attendant position. I will need to organize myself a bit more and definitely use that Cart Machine. My only fear really is having the carts start to go wobbly like a snake while I use the machine. I won't give up and thanks for saying that I can do it. You've really motivated me to try even harder and do the best I can. This upcoming Friday I will organize myself better and remember what you've written on this thread. Thank you.

Omg, thanks for all the great advice and uplifting words. I feel much better about starting to use the Cart Machine and about my Cart Attendant position. I will need to organize myself a bit more and definitely use that Cart Machine. My only fear really is having the carts start to go wobbly like a snake while I use the machine. I won't give up and thanks for saying that I can do it. You've really motivated me to try even harder and do the best I can. This upcoming Friday I will organize myself better and remember what you've written on this thread. Thank you.
Hey no problem at all. Seriously anytime you got questions or just need to talk come on over.

As for snaking them carts. Its a scary thing to snake them, pulling a U-turn is a bit easier I think. I normally push up against the carts just a little bit when bringing them into the store. Not pushing against them like you're trying to stop them from moving, but just enough to keep them wobbling too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back